1998 1.2 purge valve - potatohead
Had my sons Fiat Punto 1200,16 valve connected to a diagnostics doofer the other day after a couple of incidences of "kangarooing",and something which the mechanic described as a "purge valve" showed up as being in a fault condition.
Would this be the same as the EVAP canister?Where is it,and what can be done to sort it out?I believe this thing can fill with petrol,and that it shouldnt.
Cheers.
1998 1.2 purge valve - Chris M
Sorry this isn't going to be a definitive answer - you'll have to wait for one of our more learned backroomers.

I've had a look in my Haynes and the purge valve is the same as the EVAP solenoid. The solenoid is mounted next to the canister by the radiator on the right hand side. The canister contains activated charcoal. Vapours from the petrol tank are drawn into the engine via the canister where they are burnt. I can't see how it would fill with petrol. Sounds like you need a new EVAP solenoid and a Haynes manual ;-)
1998 1.2 purge valve - jc2
Certainly an EVAP solenoid is the purge valve;it would normally open to purge the canister when the engine is running "closed loop"ie. calibration controlled by EGO (lambda)sensor.It will smell strongly of fuel but should not contain any;it's used to collect vapour from the fuel system and vent it to the engine.

Thanks for both replies.I have a Haynes for this car,but can find no reference to the EVAP solenoid apart from on the diagram of the fuel system.
Performance isnt too badly affected at present,and he doesnt intend to keep the car long,but if things become more crucial I might have to revisit the situation and come up with a solution.
Cheers.
Further to the above,I HAVE found specific reference to the EVAP canister in Haynes...duh.
Chapter 4D,section 2 tells you how to remove and refit both solenoid and canister.Is it possible or practical to replace the charcoal in the canister,and might that improve the situation?Would renewing either component alter any settings of the fuel/emissions system,and are these components under pressure when the engine is switched off?
1998 1.2 purge valve - jc2
Canister is not serviceable-no,unless valve has failed open(this can be checked by seeing if there is a vacuum in pipe when engine is first started-before engine is controlled by EGO/lambda sensor and on some calibrations there should be no purge at idle)-canister would collect vapour from tank when engine is off if the fuel in the tank was to warm-up ie.hot day.Mainly fuel will cool when parked-no recirculation of fuel from engine compartment.No significant pressure.

Edited by jc2 on 20/04/2008 at 12:22

Canister not serviceable,right,thanks.So I assume any problems with it can only be solved by a straight replacement?
1998 1.2 purge valve - rrwfatr
Does any one know where to get the parts for this, I have an 8v 1.2i 2002 punto that seems to have the same issue. The fiat dealership near me is clueless as to what part has gone, they are all coming in at 3 vales that cost around £150 each.