What really annoys you about your car ? (Vol 1) - mustangman
I'm just thinking of those designers little features that you have grown to hate.

In my case my Focus 2, I think has the following.

- If you select imperial units for the display, temperature is shown in farenheit.
- Computer display cannot be seen in sunlight.
- The handbrake is on the passengers side, Ford did not bother about RHD.
- The jack is a joke. The handle has to be turned half a turn, turned half a turn the other way, then half a turn etc. very slow. Very welcome on dark wet night.

How about yours .............. ?

Edited by Pugugly on 16/04/2008 at 15:48

What really annoys you about your car ? - L'escargot
Focus 1 ............

1) Heater defaults to recirculated air mode when you turn the blower off.
2) You can't have the rear high intensity light on without the front foglights.
3) The head restraint annoyingly touches the hair on the back of my head unless I tilt the seat backrest further back than I would otherwise prefer.
- The handbrake is on the passengers side Ford did not bother about RHD.

My RHD (UK spec) Focus 1 has the handbrake in the right position ~ in the middle of the centre console.

Where exactly do you mean by "on the passenger's side"?

What really annoys you about your car ? - bathtub tom
My old 'V' reg Focus CL had a rear seat designed such that the drivers seat could not be on its rearmost positions when the rear was folded down.
IIRC it also had something like a split rear backrest, but a one-piece squab.
What really annoys you about your car ? - movilogo
Suzuki Ignis (MkII 5-dr)

1) The windscreen washer box is hidden from user. There is no way to determine how much fluid is left on the tank. As a consequence, I sometimes run out of washer!

2) The interior light at the front always lights up when a door is opened. There is no way to switch it off permanently (unless I take the bulb out). So, while on picnic, can't keep the door open for long.
If you select imperial units for the display, temperature is shown in farenheit.

Is that not right?
The handbrake is on the passengers side, Ford did not bother about RHD

Probably because people will buy anyway :)

What really annoys you about your car ? - Dynamic Dave
Where exactly do you mean by "on the passenger's side"?

It's on the LH side of the centre console. I find it very annoying being on that side as well when I have to drive the Focus pool car at work.
What really annoys you about your car ? - DP
Volvo S60:

1) Daytime running lights, and the fact that when you switch on sidelights (the only way of switching the headlights off with the engine running), the sidelights stay on when the ignition is switched off and there's no reminder chime when you open the door.

2) More a niggle - the gear lever comes just a little too far back in 2nd and 4th for complete comfort.

Renault Grand Scenic:

1) Useless fuel gauge that beeps angrily at you when the range drops to 55 miles, and then gives up all useful function 5 miles later, flashing red, and displaying two dashes on the range function. When you bottle it and refill the tank, you find you had 10 litres left all along.

2) The general "health and safety" programming in the car (angry beeping when not wearing seatbelt, when door is opened with the handbrake released (low speed manouevring anyone?) needing the key inserting into the slot to start the car with the boot open, the unbelievable faff needed to release the handbrake without the engine running.... The way of the world I know, but still irritating.

3) Main beam bulbs cannot be changed without dismantling the front of the car (a bumper off job) - this should be illegal!

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 14/04/2008 at 11:52

What really annoys you about your car ? - Group B
Saab 9-3 (hatchback).

If the outside temperature is below about 8'c, the front ARB bushes make an awful, loud creaking noise as you go over speed bumps, for the first few minutes until they free up/ warm up. Its weird because above about 8'c they dont make a noise. Our estate is full of speed bumps so in cold weather I get the noise every morning..

I asked the garage if it could be cured and he said its not worth it; if you fit new ones, the seals will leak, they will rust, and will be making the same noise again in a few months..
What really annoys you about your car ? - Round The Bend
Mondeo 1.8 Zetec (2002).

If I put the laptop bag on the front passenger seat, the seatbelt warning beeper goes into meltdown once I drive off. Took me a while to work out that the weight of the bag is enough for the car to think that it is a passenger who is n't wearing a seatbelt!

Edited by Round The Bend on 14/04/2008 at 12:10

What really annoys you about your car ? - mike hannon
Honda Prelude 2.2 VTEC Motegi SSS. 10 years old.
Nothing.
That's why I bought it.
What really annoys you about your car ? - 1066
Citroen C4 Grand Picasso.
The really stupid power saving feature that shuts down the radio, lights and everything else after 5mins so i have to restart the engine every 5mins to listen to the radio whilst waiting in the supermarket car park
What really annoys you about your car ? - oldtoffee
Legacy - the only interior light that comes on when a door opens is in the middle of the roof but over the rear seats making it pretty dim in the front as you struggle to locate clobber before you exit.

Picanto - the remote locking is on the side of the key and you only have to look at it for the car to lock or unlock itself. As I lock it and walk away I double check to see I haven't unlocked it. I've sometimes come back to the car and pressed the remote to unlock it and find it locking itself meaning I've left the car open for hours! When you're getting in the car you find yourself locking the car.
What really annoys you about your car ? - Alby Back
Nothing really. My Mondeo diesel estate is certainly not the poshest car I have ever had but it is probably the most useful. It just does everthing quite well and a few things better than most. I love it and will be disappointed when it finally has to be changed.
What really annoys you about your car ? - Happy Blue!
Legacy - the only interior light that comes on when a door opens is in
the middle of the roof but over the rear seats making it pretty dim in
the front as you struggle to locate clobber before you exit.

Outback - the only interior light that comes on when a door opens is in
the middle of the roof but over the rear seats making it pretty dim in
the front as you struggle to locate clobber before you exit!

no other complaints though - eh Neil??
What really annoys you about your car ? - oldtoffee
>>no other complaints though - eh Neil??

No Espada and TBH I struggled with whether that "really annoys" me or just irritates me. Also it would be ungracious to moan about the other piffly little things like the BIK tax and the fuel consumption .... so I won't!
What really annoys you about your car ? - Natty Bumppo
The fact that if a headlamp bulb blows I have to pay someone to replace it. I'm driving over to France shortly and, like a good law abiding driver I will take a spare set of bulbs. Fat lot of use the headlamp bulbs will be.
What really annoys you about your car ? - Pugugly
Skoda

Nothing much apart from the 138 (and counting) things I miss from the BMW, the Roomster is a well thought out package- if I was picky, the ultra expensive Skoda Dog guard (apparently the only approved fit due to the curtain airbags) - It contains the Springer OK but the Cocker (20Kg of muscle, bone and brain) managed to squeeze through the gap between the guard and the back seat (the middle one) now resolved thanks to a piece of hardboard, but really not good enough Skoda !

Golf.

RHD handbrake.

Landie

Everything ! That's why people love them though.
What really annoys you about your car ? - paulb {P}
Both our Pandas - the stupid, mimsy little squeak of a horn. Only thing I can fault on either of them. I can shout louder, for goodness' sake.

Wish I could have taken the Mondeo's magnificent twin-tone "OI!!!" with me when I traded it - it was quite useful on occasion for reminding the inattentive of one's approach, as per the HC.

(Anyone happen to know how easy (or not) it is to upgrade a horn...?)

Seat Ibiza (current shape, but '02 model) - fact that on the 3-door variants, the passenger-side squab would slide forward when the seat tilted, but the driver's side wouldn't. I'm hoping that this will have been sorted since).

Fiat Stilo - too many boneheaded design mistakes which utterly spoilt what otherwise had the potential to be a damn good car.
What really annoys you about your car ? - Roger Jones
MB E320 Coupé (1996): electric seat with no memory.
Ah yes the horn, on the Skoda a horn I dare not sound its name, shortly to be replaced with a proper one.
Ah yes the horn on the Skoda a horn I dare not sound its name
shortly to be replaced with a proper one.

Indeed? Who makes those, then, and do they do them for Fiats?
**NAUTILUS** COMPACT HORN - 139dB from Nippy Normans

tinyurl.com/662f5u

They are CANbus friendly and are the business as far as BMW motorcyclists are concerned - so definitely good enough for the Roomie.

Also available at Halfords and on E-Bay (where I got mine.)
What really annoys you about your car ? - Alby Back
As I have previously mentioned I have issues with horn abuse ( steady! ) In my view you shouldn't need to use it if you drive with a healthy scepticism of others possible actions and with your own emotions under control. I suspect I tested mine when I first bought the car and I suppose it will have been checked at MOT times but can't say I remember what it sounds like. Might sound like Donald Duck in a mangle for all I know. Don't care.
What really annoys you about your car ? - ifithelps
Focus Zetec TDCI - and a lot of other cars.

Can't get cool face/warm feet, and the heater in general is weedy.

Bring back the old 'aeroflow' system on the Mk2 Cortina, and the heater could nearly scorch your instep if you got it too close to the foot vent.
What really annoys you about your car ? - Markoose
Lexus IS220d

- 6th gear too tall to be usable at legal speeds
- centre console makes cracking sound every now and then probably due to heat expansion
- car bogs down below 1500 rpm, not good when you've pulled onto a roundabout or out of a side turning and have no power at all because you didn't slip the clutch enough
- steering too sharp so it has to be constantly corrected
- engine makes lurching mechanical sound when you declutch at crawl speeds in first and revs drop to idle, also sounds like a tractor at idle
- light interior marks too easily

that said i still like the car as there are loads of good things about it
What really annoys you about your car ? - quizman
VW Passat and Golf- No long wave on the radio, so no more test match special for me. No more radio 4 when touring France either.
VW Passat and Golf- No long wave on the radio, so no more test match special .......

I suppose you can't get Hilversum etc either! ;-)
Quizman,

Test Match Special is broadcast on 603 Mhz medium wave in many parts of the country.
What really annoys you about your car ? - quizman
>>>Test Match Special is broadcast on 603 Mhz medium wave in many parts of the country.

Thanks, I didn't know that.
>>>Test Match Special is broadcast on 603 Mhz medium wave in many parts of the
country.
Thanks I didn't know that.

Tried it again today in Tyne and Wear/County Durham/N Yorks and 603Mhz was broadcasting the Radio 4 long wave service.

I think it reverts to the World Service overnight, so not sure how you'd get on with an Ashes tour of Australia.

Oh Aggers, my dear boy, here comes a report on the plight of pygmy coffee growers in Outer Mongolia just as we were about to see the first ball of the day at the Gabba.
What really annoys you about your car ? - craig-pd130
@DP, have a read of your S60 manual, in my old V40 there was a method described in the handbook of switching all running lights off.

I had the only Volvo hereabouts with no lights on during the day :)
What really annoys you about your car ? - Brian Tryzers
I remember being quite glad to find other things (seats, engine noise) to dislike about the Passat back in 2002 when I was considering one, so I didn't have to tell Mrs dB "We ain't having one of them - no TMS."

Instead, I chose - and still have - a Volvo S60, with great seats, a melodious five-cylinder engine, all the long wave I could wish for - and a letterbox where the boot opening ought to be.
It also has a light-coloured dashboard that reflects in the windscreen. I can prevent this by wearing polarizing sunglasses - only then I can't see the display on the radio (which reads LW 198, of course) without turning my head onto one side.
And there's no wiper on the rear window. While I concede that it doesn't get wet at speed, it certainly does when I'm tootling round a car park in the rain looking for a space, which I then have to reverse into using a combination of mirrors, memory and guesswork. Perhaps this is my Executive car showing me up as a mere Compact Executive; if I really was someone, I could just stop it raining.

We also have a Fabia, for which we paid so little in 2001 that it's hard to begrudge it anything. I can forgive it for being slow and rather heavy on fuel for a small car. But what does annoy me is that the computer read-out is in the left-hand instrument dial, and yet the control button is on the right-hand stalk; it just feels wrong, and it catches me out every time I drive it. (I wouldn't want to touch the button at all, except that there's no way to display time and temperature at the same time.)
What really annoys you about your car ? - borasport20
Renault Megane Sport Tourer :-

French Electrics
Dash displays unreadable in sunlight / with sunglasses
French Electrics (again)
must have all the doors unlocked to open the fuel filler to fill up
need to be a double-jointed, skinny wristed grease monkey to change a light bulb
still..... French electrics
Renault dealer network
heater designed for the south of france, and aircon designed for the frozen north
can't have warm feet and fresh air to the face
What really annoys you about your car ? - craig-pd130
New Mondeo 2 litre diesel.

No cassette player, and compared with my previous Passat I find the inconsistent throttle response a bit irritating ...

At lower revs in the lower gears (3rd / 4th gear at around 1800 - 2000rpm) there seems to be a half-second pause between actuating the throttle and the engine responding, as if the ECU is "shaping" the response ... even though this is well within the engine's supposed working range.

However at similar revs in 5th and 6th the throttle response is instant and positive. My guess is that the ECU has a 'soft' torque limiting function in the lower gears.

Odd, especially as the Passat responded eagerly in all situations.
What really annoys you about your car ? - doctorchris
OK, I will come clean.
Fiat Panda 4x4.
1) Too slow.
2) Uses too much fuel.
3) Fuel tank too small.
However, I knew all this before I bought, still think it's great and have no plans to replace it even after 3 years, UNLESS they put the Diesel 1.3 engine in the UK model.
What really annoys you about your car ? - mustangman
Just to clarify some earlier posts.

- The Mk2 Focus handbrake really is on the passengers side of the centre console. Thus you could be accused of feeling your passengers leg as you reach for it. Also makes it harder to pull firmly, which you have to do for the weak handbrake to work.

- Also with reference to the brakes, I bled them this weekend.

- Front easy, long bleed nipple ( perhaps I should say screw ..... blimey that's worse! ) easy to loosen, attach pipe & bleed. Without taking the wheels off.

- Rear poor. Screw is at 12 o'clock on backplate ( nasty drum brakes ) and is short and recessed into the backplate. You can get a 7mm hex socket on to loosen it, but cannot turn it with a 7mm open ender. So you have to loosen, put pipe on, bleed, take pipe off and then tighten with socket. If it was longer it would be 200% better.
What really annoys you about your car ? - Statistical outlier
Honda Accord Tourer diesel
1) Fuel consumption - 41 mpg average in real world conditions.
2) Front doors rattle with rough road conditions or moderate bass on otherwise excellent stereo.
3) No memory on the electric seats.
4) Engine known to use oil over first 30k, but no oil level indicator.
5) Thin paint on non-galvanised bonnet.
6) 2 months off the road in first 2 years (not sure this is typical).
What really annoys you about your car ? - Ben 10
Replying to the OP. I also have 2 Focus IIs. I know where you are coming from. I take it you know how to change from F to C on the temp. setting. Its independent of the imperial/metric setting.

Edited by scribe on 14/04/2008 at 18:41

What really annoys you about your car ? - dxp55
Any car

My pet peeve is no light around igniton key holes on any car.

My present Japanese barge cost £26k in 1999 and everytime I sit on cold leather seats I curse them not being heated and also steering wheel only adjusts in and out and not up and down -
I only bought this barge 18 months ago
Any car
My pet peeve is no light around igniton key holes on any car.

Some Fords use to have a mini-torch on the key which you could use to find the door keyhole (before central locking) and the ignition keyhole, if needed.

I'm sure I've seen a car with a light around the ignition keyhole, can't be sure, but it might have been a Rover 25 or a Triumph Acclaim.

Can anyone confirm that?
Probably the Acclaim as it was mostly a Honda.

Yeah, it rusted like one, too.
What really annoys you about your car ? - madf
Yaris diesel
1. Starting off: engine boggs down under 1500rpm when cold.. you need a firmpush on accelerator and sllip the clutch - not too much as wheelspin. OK when warm.
2. Does not like big road humps (but what does?).. especially rear suspension.
3. Whistle from door at >speed limit
4. The clear plastic cill protectors get black mould in the small edge gaps.

What really annoys you about your car ? - Mad Maxy
On past cars:

Bonnets you have to prop up with a rod

Tiny windscreen washer reservoirs

Lousy quality radio reception and/or cassette/CD player

Boots/hatchbacks that have to be opened with a key

No rear electric windows

Soft engine mounts (or whatever) that cause driveline shunt

My current BMW 320d (E91) has nothing fundamentally irritating. Having read all the above posts, I'm just relaising how well I chose (and how I need to beware when I choose again...).
That should haver read no light round ignition switch on many cars - most of our Mazda's have a had a luminated ring round switch - it was so bad on 92 Clio ( recessed switch) I fitted a LED into shroud round ignition switch operated by switching side lights on.
What really annoys you about your car ? - Old Navy
Focus 2 auto wipers. They never seem to be at the right speed regardless of sensitivity setting, also if it stops raining and wipers stop but you forget to switch them off, the next time you start the engine they wipe - frozen screen = wrecked blades.
What really annoys you about your car ? - Zippy123
£37k an the coat hook was an option! Guess what, the didn't tell me!!
Scribe

I'm pretty sure my car is an early one where you cannot change the temp setting without having metric units, & therefore litres. kmh etc.

If there is another way, pray tell. Perhaps I've had 3 yrs with degree F for no reason.

Thanks
I am sure my 05 Focus 2 shows Deg C and imperial units, SWMBO is out with the car and the manual at the moment but I will check later.

Edited by Old Navy on 14/04/2008 at 20:44

What really annoys you about your car ? - nick
Legacy - would like to be able to dim the instruments a bit more, on a very dark night they're a tad too bright.
A new satnav dvd is too expensive.
What really annoys you about your car ? - PoloGirl
VW Golf 1.9Tdi Sport

1. The fact it's not a GT Tdi
2. The fact it's mine until 2010 and I want a Scirocco.
3. The VW ipod kit that doesn't tell you the name of the track on the screen, just a number.
4. The fact that when you've put a water bottle in the water bottle holder between the seats, you can't put the hand brake on.
5. The useless hole in front of the gear lever that doesn't have a cover on it. Nowhere to hide the sweet wrappers.

Edited by PoloGirl on 14/04/2008 at 20:54

What really annoys you about your car ? - Ben 10
When you have the temp. setting on the display F/C press the end of the stalk in and that should change C-F and vice versa.
What really annoys you about your car ? - maltrap
my acclaim didn't have one it was an L though.
What really annoys you about your car ? - David Horn
The central locking on the Honda. Click once to unlock and use the key to open the boot. Place keys on the floor of the boot, take something out and carelessly slam lid. 5 seconds later, central locking re-activates because you haven't opened a door, helpfully sealing keys inside boot.
I'm ok with the Focus temp display now.

Severe case of RTFM. I've only put up wiyj it for 3 od years .............
What really annoys you about your car ? - tyro
Citroen Berlingo

If one sprays water from the washer jets onto the front windscreen, the wipers go over the window automatically before the water hits the window.

The fact that if the front wipers were on and one put the car into reverse, the rear wiper would go automatically. (I use the past tense because the rear wipers don't work at the moment.)

Ford Ka

The clock. It is an attractive analogue clock, but I prefer digital. (I've just about gotten used to this though.)

I'd add "the rust", except I suspect that it isn't actually a design feature. Of course I may be wrong.
What really annoys you about your car ? - Bromptonaut
Few things annoy me on the Berlingo, but like Tyro it's wiper related.

Above around 30mph the interval wipe speeds up to something not far short of ordinary speed one. So at 60 in fog or light drizzle it's too fast and drags over the screen

And while I think about it, the stupid dog guard that has rattly recess fittings at the top and lower mounts that have to be "trapped" behind the rear seat backrests. It looks as though it should be a tool free quick release but in practice it needs spanners and screwdriver to remove/re-fit and swings around if the rear seats are folded.

Citroen - compare and contrast with the simple and elegant lower peg/upper bolt mountings in a Xantia estate - stays in place seats down and can be moved forward if fido needs freedom of the entire load space.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 14/04/2008 at 21:54

What really annoys you about your car ? - Chrome
No complaints regarding my 1yr old Kia Rio, however my last car was a 2001 Citroen Xsara Mk2, and my current car is perfection when compared to the Cit!
My issues with the Xsara were:

1) Wooden feeling brakes, even after a complete overhaul.
2) Poor visibility
3) Creaking from the car headlining
4) Rattling rear seat backs
5) Whining auto-air-con fan/ sensor
6) Fog lights which were difficult to turn on / off quickly
7) The original Dipstick measure (on the end of the coathanger style rod) migrated south into the sump - never ever had to buy a replacement dipstick for a car before!
8) Centrally located e/w controls - fiddly to use
What really annoys you about your car ? - legacylad
The fact that my Mazda 626 does NOT have heated seats. That leather is pretty damn cold some mornings, and I am grateful I do not suffer from the Farmer Giles aka Sieg Heils. Those of you darn sarf might refer to them as the Chalfonts (St Giles).
What really annoys you about your car ? - gordonbennet
Hilux

One 10 watt interior light bulb in that cavern (had to get some more int lights fitted)
One reversing light on n/s, useless in our driveway (ditto above)
Makers sat nav that takes so long to program we don't.
Mirrors motorised but not heated. (bad oversight that).

Nothing else really.

What really annoys you about your car ? - henry k
Focus 1 2.0 Ghia
Steering wheel rim too fat. Headlamp flasher stalk operation is illogical.
Washer bottle filler neck goes through two 90 degree bends so cannot see the level filling up and cannot hose out the contents.
Front fogs on before rear fog

MK 2 Mondeo saloon
Lights switch can be switched to parking using a knee.
Pathetic storage around the driver.
Front fogs on before rear fogs

>>Bring back the old 'aeroflow' system on the Mk2 Cortina,
Oh yes yes !

various
No glove compartment light.
Single reversing light

Yaris
No boot light. No keyhole in passenger door.

Fiat UNO.
Turning off the ignition turns off all lights.

What really annoys you about your car ? - bathtub tom
>>Fiat UNO.
Turning off the ignition turns off all lights

Not if you turn the key further back one position, the sidelights come on without the instrument illumination!
What really annoys you about your car ? - Blurred
2008 Mercedes C Class
Duplication of buttons - there are 9 buttons on the dash which i will never use as they are on the steering wheel.
To change from radio to cd I have to press a button on the dash - not on the steering wheel.
To change between FM and MW I have to press a button on the dash - should be on steering wheel.
I have to manually open the lid on the central lcd screen
No current fuel economy figures on the computer
Turning the audio to auxiliary input requires faffing around in the settings.
To open the boot from inside, the button is low down near the driver side storage bin.
Satnav not standard - scandalous.
Leather not standard - ditto
Glovebox tiny
Rear legroom dreadful\for its size.

Makes me drive like an old man.

What really annoys you about your car ? - henry k
>>Fiat UNO.
Turning off the ignition turns off all lights
Not if you turn the key further back one position the sidelights come on without
the instrument illumination!

Yes I know that but what a stupid dangerous design. I guess it was a misguided idea to save flattening the battery :-(((
I was glad to deliver the rot box to the scrap yard.
A Fiat Tipo graced our drive in the 80s - a 1500 diesel. Fine handling with the interior space that was Tardis like. One of its features was the disappearing lights when the ignition key came out, the other was its impression of the Exxon Valdiz when it dropped its oil one afternoon, predictably Mrs P was in a little white number......she looked like a Dalmatian when she got home, that was he last flirtation with anything Italian.
What really annoys you about your car ? - MichaelR
My BMW 530i Sport:

1) Dual Zone Climate cannot be linked. So, if I want to adjust the temp, I must adjust it twice for both sides. Annoying.

2) Cruise Control - light comes on when I turn the system on and goes off when I turn it off. Absolutely no change in indication whatsoever to show its actually engaged and holding speed or whether its on standby.

3) Cupholders. No, they are not cupholders, they are pointless plastic breaky things.

4) Annoyingly stupid option packs. Why could I only have folding mirrors if I have the electric seat pack. How stupid. Why isnt the electric seat pack standard anyway, it was on my Mondeo.

5) Xenon headlight washers. Great, lets empty lots of washer fluid pointless over the front end of my car every time I squirt to remove some bird mess off the winscreen

6) Warnings. Temp blow 3c? BONG BONG BONG BONG BONG. Only 600 litres of washer fluid left? BONG BONG BONG BONG BONG. Boot open? BONG BONG BONG. Handbrake on? BONG BONG BONG BONG......... engine going into failsafe mode and about to cost you thousands? No noise. Warning, fault in traction control system, you are on your own? No noise, etc. It only bongs for pointless crap I dont care about.

And now we get to the two most annoying things..

7) Checking the oil.

Lift the dipstick, right? Wrong! Lift the dipstick BUT only after the car is at full operating temperature but has stood with the engine off for at least 5 minutes. Great.

And the winner, the most ANNOYING thing in the whole world, ever...

8) The coolant header tank. Which utter, utter idiot decided that it would be a good idea to have the header tank made of BLACK PLASTIC? With a pressurised cap containing a stupid float thing to tell you the level? This means that you can't actually tell what the coolant level is without removing the cap, which you cant do until the car has been stood for hours. Every other car in the known universe, including oddly the 530d and the M5, has a clear plastic coolant tank which quickly and easily shows you the level of coolant just by lifting the bonnet..

Edited by MichaelR on 15/04/2008 at 01:24

You may be right, the reasons for dumping the 535 and going minimalist are stacking up. Skoda bongs when you're not wearing your belt (spurious bonging from wild dog bouncing on passenger seat now solved thanks to a piece of hardboard that cost 50p) and it bongs when its cold (being a motorcyclist I know that anyway !) - otherwise a complete absence of bongs. Paragraph 6 is very funny though.

Oh and it has a transparent coolant tank - looks a bit like a fuel cell from a V1 rocket (according to a diagram in Victor anyway)

Edited by Pugugly on 15/04/2008 at 01:29

What really annoys you about your car ? - welshlad
the only thing i have found that annoys me with my new car (Mitsibushi Colt CZC) is the coolant resivoir you cant see it clear enough to check levels the markers are at the bank and down low almost impossible to see for any normal sized person as you have to lean right into the small engine space to see it
What really annoys you about your car ? - shawad
Zafira B - complete and utter lack of any useful storage space for small items when compared to ANY other MPV on the market. Massive expanse of a dashboard, but for some reason no one at Opel/Vauxhall thought that putting little cubby holes with lids etc in there would have been a good idea.

One cup holder in the front, leaving me and the mrs to fight over who gets it.

No dash mounted power point/cigar lighter meaning to power the Sat nav I have a 4 foot lead snaking up the dash (snagging on the 'aircraft' handbrake), round the instrument cluster, and then the 2 foot forward to the windscreen

Extremely high CO2 g/km figures from their Petrol engines which leave me paying Mr Darling like I'm driving a gas guzzler.
What really annoys you about your car ? - Big Bad Dave
Anti-Tardis qualities of the 406 - it's smaller on the inside than it is on the outside.

No space for nik naks, I have to keep my change in the ash tray.

As mentioned above - energy saving radio that turns off after 7 minutes while you're parked up waiting for the wife - usually just at the guitar solo of your favorite track. Why not get rid of this useless function and replace it with one that would benefit - like switching off the lights that I occasionally leave on while there is still enough power in the battery to start the car.
MK 2 Mondeo saloon
Lights switch can be switched to parking using a knee.

I'm not disputing it, but I had one for nearly three years, and this never once happened. It just goes to show how these things are highly personal.

That said, I would echo your statement about storage. The inside of the car looked a tip very quickly.

On my old mk2, I would add the following:

Drivers seat height adjustment that only seems to work on the rear of the seat squab. Raising the seat tipped you forwards.

Incredibly short seat belts in the back making the fitting of child seats unneccessarily difficult. Very poor for a family car. It is specifically mentioned on car-by-car fitting guides from several of the child seat manufacturers, so it wasn't just us being thick or picky.

That is all I can think of after nearly three years and 50k, which says a lot about the car.

One excellent design feature on this car however, which seems to be disappearing is "proper" operation of the main beam/flash stalk. Push away for main beam, pull for flash. I hate the pull a bit for flash and further for main operation that seems to be replacing it.

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 15/04/2008 at 11:02

I'm ok with the Focus temp display now.
Severe case of RTFM. I've only put up wiyj it for 3 od years .............

>>

Happy you are sorted, I use RTFM as a last resort too!
What really annoys you about your car ? - oldgit
The central locking on the Honda. Click once to unlock and use the key to
open the boot. Place keys on the floor of the boot take something out and
carelessly slam lid. 5 seconds later central locking re-activates because you haven't opened a door
helpfully sealing keys inside boot.

I'm afraid I cannot understand why people, after opening the boot in this way (as indeed I have to) then place their keys on the floor of the boot! Put them back in your pocket or handbag, for goodness sake.

Incidentally, I don't like the radio display in my Golf Mk V. If the radio is on at night then there is too much glare from it, despite being able to turn the brightness down of the overall dashboard display. If I drove a lot at night, I fashion a piece of cardboard and place it over the radio's display - talk about progress!!

Edited by Webmaster on 15/04/2008 at 17:35

What really annoys you about your car ? - legacylad
My 1998 Mazda 626SE has a lovely green glowing light around the ignition. And I couldn't agree more with dxp55 about the unheated leather seats.
My 1998 Mazda 626SE has a lovely green glowing light around the ignition

The Volvo has too, but the first time I saw this feature was on a 1992 Rover 200. Thought it was a great idea then, and still do.

Bettered only by the Scenic which needs no key at all. :-)

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 15/04/2008 at 11:04

BMW R1200GS.

What is (probably without question the epitome of big trailies)

Silly things.

Illogical and ergonomically unsound indicators and horn switches.

Slightly head-down speedo.

Stupidly small sidestand footprint. (BMW need to look at how Honda solved this 25 years ago)

Not having angled tyre valves.

Failing to "protect" vulnerable areas (like a "potentiometer" on the very spot where the rider's boot makes contact when getting on)

oh

And crap horn.

An almost perfect (if heavy) bike spoilt by details.
What really annoys you about your car ? - kingfisher
2002 Mondeo 1.8LX
Trafficators click too loud.
Seat belt on warning buzzer .
Door mirrors too small/wrong shape.
Interior clock hands similar colour to clock face.
What really annoys you about your car ? - daveyjp
You can thank NCAP scoring for the seat belt bongs.

Audi have dropped the passenger seat bongs on the latest A3 (my first one had it and it was annoying) and they have also increased the speed at which the bongs activate from a level of about 5mph to over 15mph - well done.

The only annoying thing with the Audi is it still gets dirty!
What really annoys you about your car ? - Ed V
Difficult to clean the inside of the windscreen at the bottom on all modern cars.

Er.......nothing else. The Legacy's brilliant, modern yet old fashioned. Why am I moving to Citroen?
What really annoys you about your car ? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
The radio illumination on my Hyundai Coupe does not dim along with the dashboard.
Too dazzling man.

The hatchback can not be opened from the outside without inserting a key (SWMBOs pet annoyance). I see it as added security....

The reverse parking sensors beep endlessly on tarmacadam. The dealer thinks I am making this up (they have a paved car park)
What really annoys you about your car ? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
R1150R

Pugugly,

I struggle to get my size 12s on to the centre stand noggin- sidestand, gear shift etc. get in the way.
Apart from that , fits like a glove.Or size 12 boot.

I love the BMW indicator arrangement - the whole BMW bike ethos is solutions in search of problems.

While we're on about bikes - Bandit 600Y:

Side-stand heel bar that is so short (and so high up underneath the gear lever) that it's very easy to knock the bike into 1st when you're trying to get the stand down. The Kwaka ER5 on which I took DAS had a much more sensible setup.

Non-angled tyre valves - getting a pressure gauge on the front valve is fiddly

Pretty happy apart from that - it'll do until I can afford something bigger...
What really annoys you about your car ? - whoopwhoop
Audi A3 sportback :

1) Handbrake on the left of the centre console. I bought a RHD car not a LHD car so why can't I have the handbrake on the right hand side of the console.

2) Ipod interface.... that gives naff all functionality. No track names or artist name display. And I have to put all my songs into one of 5 playlists. RUBBISH!

3) Speedo calibrated in 20mph increments at 20, 40, 60, 80, 100, etc instead of 10, 30, 50, 70 etc. Most speed limits here are 30, 50 or 70.

4) speedo that goes up to 180mph, meaning that at normal UK speeds the scale covers an arc of about 100 degrees

5) BEEEEEP! Top up washer fluid. BEEEEEEEP! Service due. BEEEEEEEP! fasten seatbelt. BEEEEEP! outside temp low. BEEEEEEP! aaargh shut up.

6) Drive by wire cuts the throttle if it detects the brake pedal is being pressed so you can't "heel and toe"

7) Dumb central locking that only opens drivers door unless you press button twice.

8) Remote fob that has a button to open boot whilst keeping rest of car locked. So you open the boot and accidentally leave your keys in and bingo..... locked out.

9) Climate control that keeps turning aircon on whenever recirc is pressed. So if you just want to recirc for 30 seconds while you overtake a smokey old Vauxhall Nova it turns aircon on then when you pass the chav and turn recirc off it turns aircon off and the windscreen mists up. WHY!!!!!?????

10) No synchromesh on reverse. My golf had sync on reverse, as did my A4, so I assume it's been deleted as a cost saving penny pinching option. Pah!

11) Outside temp ice warning set to trigger at 5 degrees. Way too high.

12) Aerodynamically poor design so the rear hatch always gets filthy

13) Stupid dull alarm flashing LED that nobody can see. Honestly. I had the car for a year before I even realised it was there.

14) Ridiculous cost options for things that should be standard on a £25k car : cruise control, aluminium dash trip, armrest (!!!!!!!!!!!!)

15) Crummy space saver spare wheels. Really - if I wanted to drive on poxy pram wheels I'd have bought a car from fisher price.

16) Rear sun blind that serves no purpose whatsoever except to block your view through the rear window

17) No locking glovebox. Probably a £800 option somewhere.

18) Fuel computer that tells blatant lies.

19) 17" wheels that make the ride so harsh it hurts

20) Flippy floppy ignition key that even with the key stowed, is so bulky it is uncomfortable in your pocket. Really - it doesn't need to be that big.

21) Headlight washers that serve no purpose other than to use up the contents of your washer bottle as fast as possible. They do nothing to clean the headlights.

22) Cruise control that has no light to tell you when it's engaged. Oh, but there is a light to tell you that the rear ashtray is full.....

23) Wipers that are so poorly designed, they need a "special setting" in order to be able to pull them off the windscreen to wash your car. Talk about engineering a complex solution to a simple problem!

24) Intermittant wipers that never seem to have the interval you actually need

25) Radio reception that is dire.

26) Drivers footrest that is too small

27) Non-illuminated arm-rest cubby hole. The one in the A4 was illuminated so why isn't the one in the A3 - especially as they both cost an arm and a leg as an optional extra.

28) Plastic rear seat-backs

29) No map pockets on the seat backs

30) No rear air vents/

31) Slight delay between pressing the horn and getting the "parp" noise. Why? Because the horn is computer controlled. I mean really..... WHY?????!!!!

32) Rubbish main beam. A cheap AAA torch has more power.

33) Pathetic alarm siren. last time I broke wind it was louder.

34) Electronic boot release. Flat battery=no access to the boot.

35) No sunglasses holder.

36) No cup holder - unless you tilt the armrest out of the way, in which case you'll keep resting your elbow on your cappucino out of habit.

37) Too many digital displays. 5. Yes, 5. WHY????!

38) Trigger happy traction control

Apart from that I love it.
7) Dumb central locking that only opens drivers door unless you press button twice.

My Focus is like that. It's a safety feature for when you are on your own ~ it prevents a carjacker or similar from entering from the other side.
My Focus is like that. It's a safety feature for when you are on your
own ~ it prevents a carjacker or similar from entering from the other side.

Being a 6'3" male, I don't find that feature particularly necessary - but I do understand why it's there.

Your Focus has the ability for the driver to enable/disable the feature. On the Audi it requires booking in at the dealer to disable it. Hence why it falls in the "annoying feature" section :-)
What really annoys you about your car ? - Lud
Passed the 'repeated launches' transmission test then whoopwhoop?

You are obviously infuriated by the thing's defiance. Hence all the nitpicking.

:o}
whoopwhoop - I am also an A3 owner - I haven't time to go through all your issues, but lets just say nearly half of them wouldn't be on the list if you had opted for an SE rather than I suspect a Sport.
whoopwhoop - I am also an A3 owner - I haven't time to go through
all your issues but lets just say nearly half of them wouldn't be on the
list if you had opted for an SE rather than I suspect a Sport.

Do you want a calculator? I can only find half a dozen that are specific to the Sport. (and most of those are because the SE doesn't have that item of equipment fitted, rather than the SE being superior).

Besides, you can't have the more powerful engines on an SE (or at least you couldn't when I ordered mine).
Passed the 'repeated launches' transmission test then whoopwhoop?
You are obviously infuriated by the thing's defiance. Hence all the nitpicking.

Touché M'Lud :-)

Actually the DMF gave up the ghost at 8k, but I forgot to put that on the list!
What really annoys you about your car ? - alfalfa
So what were the features that made you buy it? Or perhaps that should be a different thread?

alfalfa
So what were the features that made you buy it? Or perhaps that should be
a different thread?
alfalfa

Looks nice.

Goes like the clappers. (TDi 170)

Reasonable economy.

Far better build quality than equivalent Golf.

Better residuals - reflected in lower monthly lease cost. (company car)

Far better dealer service. (always go out of their way to please.... when the DMF failed I turned up unannounced - no appointment - and they gave me an A8 loan car)

Excellent manufacturer support. (when the DMF failed Audi approached me with a significant goodwill gesture - didn't even have to complain
What really annoys you about your car ? - alfalfa
Audi A3 sportback :

MEGA SNIPQUOTE of absolutely EPIC proportions. In fact probably the biggest snipquote I've ever had to do whilst being a moderator here. Please do try and read the message that pops up on the screen that tells you not to quote everything you're replying to.

in reply to whoopwhoop (see, that's all you need to do)

So what were the features that made you buy it? Or perhaps that should be a different thread?

alfalfa

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/04/2008 at 17:31

What really annoys you about your car ? - nick
>>but there is a light to tell you that the rear ashtray is full.....
Surely you jest?
>>but there is a light to tell you that the rear ashtray is full.....
Surely you jest?

No, seriously.
What really annoys you about your car ? - movilogo
@whoopwhoop
Great post!
It's a safety feature for when you are on your own ~ it prevents a carjacker or similar from entering from the other side

Mine is same as well. However, as soon as I switch on the ignition, all other doors get unlocked. So, never understood concept. But it does annoy me to press the button twice to unlock other doors/boot.

Audi A3 sportback :

You really are a wind up merchant, aren't you?
>> Audi A3 sportback :
>> Apart from that I love it.
>>
You really are a wind up merchant aren't you?

Who am I supposed to be winding up??!
SNIPQUOTE!
Who am I supposed to be winding up??!

Us all, with that nonsensical diatribe with so-called faults with the Audi.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/04/2008 at 21:55

>> Who am I supposed to be winding up??!
>>
Us all with that nonsensical diatribe with so-called faults with the Audi.

Gosh, you get wound up easily don't you! Hahaha :-)
Bit more time now
Audi A3 sportback :
1) Handbrake on the left of the centre console. I bought a RHD car not
a LHD car so why can't I have the handbrake on the right hand side
of the console.

True - but can't say it bothers me - at least the wipers have been adopted for RHD.
5) BEEEEEP! Top up washer fluid. BEEEEEEEP! Service due. BEEEEEEEP! fasten seatbelt. BEEEEEP! outside temp
low. BEEEEEEP! aaargh shut up.

Only beep I hear regularly is low fuel

Mr Audi will change this for you if required.
8) Remote fob that has a button to open boot whilst keeping rest of car
locked. So you open the boot and accidentally leave your keys in and bingo..... locked
out.

Don't take the keys out of your pocket whilst opening the boot
9) Climate control that keeps turning aircon on whenever recirc is pressed. So if you
just want to recirc for 30 seconds while you overtake a smokey old Vauxhall Nova
it turns aircon on then when you pass the chav and turn recirc off it
turns aircon off and the windscreen mists up. WHY!!!!!?????

Leave climate on auto and recirc on auto

11) Outside temp ice warning set to trigger at 5 degrees. Way too high.

Also linked to auxiliary heater - too low!

14) Ridiculous cost options for things that should be standard on a £25k car :
cruise control aluminium dash trip armrest (!!!!!!!!!!!!)

All standard on SE - ali trim is zero cost option
16) Rear sun blind that serves no purpose whatsoever except to block your view through
the rear window

thats the Sport for you - under parcel shelf net bag and curry hook, standard on SE is far more useful
18) Fuel computer that tells blatant lies.

That explains the 29mpg I managed out of a 2.0TDi 170 manual then - option on SE, but as you have found why bother?
19) 17" wheels that make the ride so harsh it hurts

Sports suspension is more of the problem SE and 17s (free upgrade!) is fine.

22) Cruise control that has no light to tell you when it's engaged. Oh but
there is a light to tell you that the rear ashtray is full.....

SE has such a light for cruise
23) Wipers that are so poorly designed they need a "special setting" in order to
be able to pull them off the windscreen to wash your car. Talk about engineering
a complex solution to a simple problem!

Designed to hide behind bonnet - blame NCAP. You can actually pull the wipers into position without using the special setting.
24) Intermittant wipers that never seem to have the interval you actually need

Rain sensors standard on SE - work perfectly
27) Non-illuminated arm-rest cubby hole. The one in the A4 was illuminated so why isn't
the one in the A3 - especially as they both cost an arm and a
leg as an optional extra.

Arm rest standard on SE - never noticed if its illuminated I hardly go in there!
28) Plastic rear seat-backs

Sit a two year old in the back with muddy shoes and see what a good idea this is
29) No map pockets on the seat backs

Standard on SE (you get them beside the front footwell too!)
30) No rear air vents/

I sit in the front

34) Electronic boot release. Flat battery=no access to the boot.

RTFM
35) No sunglasses holder.

No cost option no smoking pack solves this - sunglasses go where ashtray would be.
36) No cup holder - unless you tilt the armrest out of
the way in which case you'll keep resting your elbow on your cappucino out of
habit.

Agreed (!) - upgrade from 2005 model removed the cupholders from over the radio and replaced with a credit card holder.

I'm glad you like your SE so much.

Personally I found the SE to be a rather mundane car wheras the Sport - especially with the 170 TDI - is much more appealing.... even if it does have some "foibles"!

Each to their own eh?!

Only beep I hear regularly is low fuel

Did you forget to mention the occasional BEEEEEEEEP for a fault? Is that a standard feature on the SE?

>>ali trim is zero cost option

So why in the same of common sense and good taste didn't you tick that box instead of the hideous Walnut trim!
Good thread this - when I win Lotto I shall save my money and keep my old banger.
Thread locked and a new one started as Vol 2.