Mazda 3 saloon v Renault Megane Sports Saloon - Brianthebubble
I was looking for opinions on these two cars both after the facelift; I think 2006 for both cars. Does anyone have experience of either or preferably both, in all areas?

Edited by Pugugly on 12/04/2008 at 23:54

Mazda 3 saloon v Renault Megane Sports Saloon - Avant
We were given a Mazda 3 1.6 hire car in South Africa last year. Very similar to the Nissan Tiida (successor to the Almera but not sold here) and any other 1.6 Japanese petrol saloon - competent but unexciting to drive, but with a huge boot. At home I ned a hatchback / estate, but when we go to SA it's useful to have plenty of (secure) room for luggage.

Both of these were too low-geared for my liking and were buzzy at motorway speeds.

Renaults are getting better but a Mazda still has a greater chance of being trouble-free. Buying used you take a chance on the quality of the previous owner, and Japanese cars seem to take abuse better. I had 7 Renaults - didn't abuse them, and all were reliable over high mileages: but others have been less fortunate.
Mazda 3 saloon v Renault Megane Sports Saloon - daiking
I've got a facelift 3 hatch that I'm very happy with. If you check out the Honest John Road tests, it seems HJ liked the saloon even better.

The Mazda's don't seem to be cutting edge design, the trim and spec isn't over-loaded with goodies but you get the necessities from TS level on (TS2 if you want ESP) and they seem well put together if not some sort of haven of tactility like a renault might be.

I don't know about the renault but I prefer the drive of the 3 hatch to that of current low spec civics but it doesn't quite match the comparable golf. Hope that gives some idea.
Daiking. Thanks for your help. I guess that the Mazda 3 saloon would end up being more reliable than the Renault Megane Saloon ( although comments have been made refuting this. About a year and a half ago, I was told by an AA patrol that there was a steady stream of AA patrol vans taking Renault Meganes to Renault West London because Renault would not let them carry out repairs under warranty - Renault finally relented because there were so many!)

I was teaching once at a bus garage and asked one of the mechanics the difference between Japanese and European engines - he had a volvo. He commented that the European engines were agricultural in comparison, but lasted longer than the Japanese, which were better, but more highly strung = geared.

Against the Golf, I think I would always choose the Mazda. My brother had horrendous problems with the electrics on his Golf Mk 111, which seems to be problem even today. Against the Renault Megane Saloon, I would imagine the Mazda 3 saloon to be better put together and to last longer, but the Renault is ...a Renault, lallops along, smooth, easy and comfortable to drive .. a Renault!

My orginal post was the Hyundai i30 against the Renault Megane Saloon, but it seems to have shifted to the Mazda 3 saloon and Renault Megane Saloon both post facelift,which means that one issue has been resolved. I prefer saloons; and this makes me conservative, liking some extra luxuries and holding onto cars longer; so be it.

Mazda 3 saloon v Renault Megane Sports Saloon - Xileno {P}
2006 facelift Megane a much improved car. Lots of changes to the bits you can't see. Be aware that there's a new Megane out later this year.
Mazda 3 saloon v Renault Megane Sports Saloon - L'escargot
I suggest you read Mossbridge's thread before you buy a Mazda 3. tinyurl.com/6ak5g7 (I hope I've done the link correctly.)
Mazda 3 saloon v Renault Megane Sports Saloon - LinuxGeek
My next door neighbour has got Mazda 3 hatckback 1.6 and he's loving it! He changes his car after every 3 years so I've told him to sell it to me because its in black and it looks really nice :)
Xileno {P} have you driven the facelifted Sports Saloon? In what ways was it improved ?How would you compare it with the Mazda 3 saloon?
Mazda 3 saloon v Renault Megane Sports Saloon - Xileno {P}
Not the saloon but I've driven the hatches. Better quality of interior trim, sharpened steering - particularly the electric system which has more feel - and a general exorcising of bugs including those wretched window regulators.

Not driven the Mazda.