Vectra oil check sensor - Ken A
How sensitive is the oil level check sensor on a 98 Vectra CDX? The warning message flashed up on mine on the M50 yesterday but when I checked, the dipstick showed a deficiency of only a quarter of a litre. I topped up and the warning has not appeared since - about 80 miles. Is the sensor ultra sensitive or is there a fault? The car is still under warranty, so it isn't a problem if the sensor needs changing.
Vectra oil check sensor - RogerL
The difference between MIN and MAX on the dipstick is 1.0 litre. If the oil level drops below MIN, the sensor is sensitive enough to register and warn you. The answer is to check oil level weekly on the dipstick and maintain between the two marks. Reliance on the sensor alone will eventually get you into trouble if the sensor fails and the oil drops very low without you knowing.
Thanks Roger. I had checked the level before starting my journey and the level was at least half way between the marks, as it was when the warning flashed up. As I mentioned, it took a minimal amount of oil to bring the level to the full mark. My point is, if the warning comes up with the oil at this level, have I got a faulty sensor or is it sensitive enough to be activated at that level in the normal course of things?
Regards
Ken A
Vectra oil check sensor - Cyd
sounds like the sensor is over sensitive. The min mark should be an acceptable level at which to maintain the oil (though it is obviously wise to keep it nearer to max), so a low oil warning that activates above this level is little more than an annoyance rather than actually being useful.
I would tell the garage it keeps coming on on long motorway journeys (or some similar story) - they're not likely to take it seriously if you say it only came on once. It might be as well to wait a little while to see if it happens again if you can.
Since the problem occurred last Thursday I have done about 200 miles and it hasn't happened since, but then neither has the oil level dropped discernibly. I am therefore inclined to think you're right, Cyd, about the sensor being over sensitive. I seldom allow the oil level to fall much below three quarters full, but on a long haul such as to Edinburgh, which is one of my regular journeys, the car will consume half a litre of oil, taking it down to the halfway mark and if the sensor is going to start registering before that level is reached, I'm not going to be a happy bunny. In any case, having a warning flash up when you're travelling at speed on a motorway is unnerving, as I found out the other day, even if you are sure it's telling you about a problem that doesn't exist. My Vauxhall dealer is usually very helpful, but your advice about how to report the fault to them is well taken. I want them to do a between services oil change next week, so will take the opportunity to tackle them about it then.
Many thanks for your input.
Ken A
Vectra oil check sensor - Flat in Fifth
Another thought, I've also had the oil level check warning go when the level was OK. Only happened once. Only thing I noticed was that it happened during a journey in monsoon conditions. ??

The other time it went t'was genuine. That was when the engine went from full to below min in two days and not much over 1000 miles covered. Yes I know, should have dipped it on the second morning. mea maxima culpa.
Vectra oil check sensor - J Bonington Jagworth
If it happens when the engine is turning quickly, it may just be that more oil is being retained in the head. I'd keep on using the dipstick...