1996 diesel starting problem - advice please! - jeremyb
Hi folks. I have a '96 306 turbodiesel that has recently been starting a little worse than usual. The glow plug lights go out after a few seconds as usual, and then initial ignition occurs pretty much as soon as the starter turns the engine over. But at this point it is beginning to struggle to 'catch' (fire) properly when cold, until I blip the throttle. I have never needed to do this before. If I don't blip the throttle, it sometimes stalls immediately and I have to turn the key again. This only occurs after leaving the car overnight - its fine during the rest of the day once its been used.

I'm afraid I am not too familiar with how ignition and electrics work on a diesel, so I'm not sure what to replace. I'm sure it's simple - can you lot point me in the right direction?!

THANK YOU!

Edited by jeremyb on 31/03/2008 at 14:58

1996 diesel starting problem - advice please! - RichardW
Odds on it needs a new set of glowplugs. Bit of a knuckle scraper to change, but plugs are only £25 a set.
1996 diesel starting problem - advice please! - Peter D
Could be glow plugs or air in the fuel, thus the overnight problem although it is of course colder in the mornings. This could be, and often is, the fuel filter housing seal is letting air in and the fuel it running back to the tank. Also check all pipes for signs of perishing or slight leaking at joints. Regards Peter
1996 diesel starting problem - advice please! - DP
Odds on it needs a new set of glowplugs. Bit of a knuckle scraper to
change

I did this job on our old 1998 306 D-Turbo, and from memory, three were really straightforward, but one (behind the fuel pump) takes twice as long as the other three and has to be turned with an open ended spanner one eighth of a turn at a time.

As for torquing it back up - forget it. "A case of it's tight, that'll do!" :-)

With a bit of patience, it's OK though.

Cheers
DP
1996 diesel starting problem - advice please! - oldnotbold
In the mean time, just click the ignition key on/off until the light goes out a few more times, say three/four, before turing it to start, and you'll find it starts as it should, I expect. That will then prove it's the GPs and not any other item.