1993 1.8 auto - stalls after approx 30 seconds - PeterC
Can anyone help with this please? Car starts OK when cold, after 30 seconds runs rough and stalls. Restarts fine then runs OK. VW Dealer diagnosed a faulty road speed sensor and repaired this which improved it but not totally. The diagnostic equipment shows no faults. Any ideas? It has the Bosch single point injection system. Its a 1993 Auto 1.8 CL

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 12/07/2009 at 19:09

Stalling VW Golf Mk 3 - Peter D
When you say it stalls, are you moving or not.

The road speed sensor would have effected your speedo so thats a bit odd.

If the car starts then without moving the car stalls after 30 seconds I would be looking for a O2 sensor fault although that should have logged in the diagnostics.

Check the heater element in the very bottom of the Carb/Monotronic Injector is OK. Thats the heavyish black wire coming out to the passenger side of the manafold towards the Ignition coil. Disconnect this and use a meter to check the resistance, should be very low I think 1.5 ohms or so.

Next time you are low on fuel I would run for 50 miles on a double dose of Redex Injection cleaner to get rid of the laquer from the injector.

Come back with any other info.

Peter
Stalling VW Golf Mk 3 - PeterC
Hi Peter
If I\'m stationary, it stalls. If moving, the revs drop right down and it tries to die and I need to put it in neutral and rev it up (its an automatic). Once past this, it seems to run OK.
I\'ll try to check the heater element you mention.
Thanks
Peter
Stalling VW Golf Mk 3 - Roger Jones
Peter

Your problem sounds very similar to the one that dogged my now-departed Audi 100 and which no main dealer could fathom. Thanks to HJ, I was alerted to the benefits of VW's very own fuel additive -- part number G 001 700 03 -- which cured the cool-running problem overnight and gave me first feather-touch of the key starting thenceforth. Before you try anything more expensive, get hold of a tube from a main dealer and use it. You may have to be persistent: two main dealers in this locality had no knowledge of it, but it was on their database. I now use it routinely in my Mk 3 VR6 and my M-B 320 Coupé; apart from anything else, it seems to improve fuel economy and leave the engines sweet and clean in MOT emissions tests. It's also cheaper than similar stuff from accessories retailers, giving you enough to add to 150 litres opf fuel for a mere £3.50+.

Now, can you or any other Golf Mark 3 owners tell me how to fix the high-pitch rattle/squeak coming from the sun-roof assembly of my VR6?
Stalling VW Golf Mk 3 - Peter D
Hi,

Open the roof and clean all of the seal with a small nail brush using soapy water. Clean it well and place a plastic sheet under it to avoid the water getting into the car.

With the roof slid back clean the metal work all round the roof apeture. All ow to thoroughly dry ( next day ) Now apply Amoural to the seal and use a car polish for the paintwork. You will end up polishing the whole roof.

Leave Amoural to soak an ans retreat 1 hour later. Allow to dry before closing roof and that fixed mine after several other attempts.

It appears to be the seal srinking back due to UV exposure and the Amoural puts a bit of life and compiance back into the seal.

Good Luck

Peter
Stalling VW Golf Mk 3 - 701728777
I also have a 94 1.8 cl auto and have the same problems, After a lot of messing about I disconnected the lambda sensor just below and to the left of the carb/injection as looking in from the engine from the wiring loom. A 4 pin connector , car runs virtually perfectly now no stalling cutting out etc . On my 1.8 AAm engine the sensor is right below the SPi fuel injection in the exhaust manifold itself so trace the wire to the left and its easy to dusconnect. Ran it for 2 days still perfect with no down side but I realy need to replace it. this unit monitors the oxygen ent the exhaust and adjusts the mixture accordingly . PS I have tried to remove the sensor and cannot gat it out so may need a garage to ' free 'it . But I am sute this is is my problem and possibly yours, repl ones are about £ 95 plus vat from VAG dealer or about 45 to 50 else where