1990 1.8 8v refusal to start. - kirklander73
Hey! Car refuses to start, turns over exremely slow,sometimes not at all! battery good solenoid on starter clicks in, rev counter is 'jumping' as the IGN key is released, Earth on gearbox was found to have come loose but fixed now recent clutch change and new stereo. any ideas anyone?
Thanks for looking much appreciated.
1990 1.8 8v refusal to start. - Screwloose

How do you know that the battery is good?
Hey screwloose, Sorry for not replying sooner, the battery i used was off my mk2 gti 16v, and is only 12 months old, it works fine on her. reallly doing my head in this one!!
I have sorted this! basically number 4 injector was open, and whilst the fuel pump was running, it filled the cylinder with fuel the starter could not overcome the pressure in the cylinder. the only reason i was led down this avenue was during a test on the starter fuel was leaking out of the air box!! good job that the valve on that particular pot was open!
1990 1.8 8v refusal to start. - Screwloose

Seen that one before; check the ECU and it's plug for water ingress.

The last one I did shot petrol out of all the plug-holes and right over their roof after someone had "washed" it with a bit too much water. Still; a quick blast inside the ECU with a hairdryer and it worked fine.
Nice one yet again screwloose! that is exactly what is wrong!! have tried to dry the ECU but it still playing up. got to get a replacement one. Cheers dude!!
1990 1.8 8v refusal to start. - thomp1983
try sticking your hairdryer in the airing cupboard over night to dry it out, it'll be more effective than using a heat gun. if that fails then possibly look at taking it apart and wd40'ing the components lightly

chris
1990 1.8 8v refusal to start. - mfarrow
try sticking your hairdryer in the airing cupboard

I'd start with the ECU personally ;-)

Seriously though Chris has it spot on, airing cupboards are great for breathing life back into electrical good from mobiles to laptops.
1990 1.8 8v refusal to start. - thomp1983
doh really should read my own ramblings before posting

chris
HA! did cause me to think!! problem is i no longer have an airing cupboard!! lost it to a combi boiler.... (The missus!!!) thanks for the tip though!