Mismatched specifications - Statistical outlier
I'm in the States at the moment, and driving a people carrier, or 'mini van', as I've got to carry a fair amount of equipment around.

I've got a Toyota Sienna, a big, 8 seater thing, and it's fine. Comfy, massive, and with a good stereo. What I don't understand is that it has a 3.5 litre, 266 hp V6. Why? Why on earth would you want to go that quickly in a massive barge intended for carrying many many children?

Saying that, the complete lack of steering feel does translate to impressively little torque steer.

I can't think of a more mismatched spec, can you?
Mismatched specifications - Chris S
How about that Lotus clone with a Vauxhall badge on it?

Like Jeremy Clarkson said "It's a bit like buying an Armani suit, cutting out the label and sewing in one saying 'Millets'"
Mismatched specifications - Bill Payer
Why on earth would you want to go that quickly

err...are you sure it actually goes "that" quickly? I note the engine is a VVT too.
impressively little torque steer

Probably because little of the power actually makes it to the wheels!!

Have you seen how much they are? $24K (plus tax)!! Makes me feel quite angry.

Edited by Bill Payer on 14/03/2008 at 13:18

Mismatched specifications - Group B
>> Why on earth would you want to go that quickly
err...are you sure it actually goes "that" quickly? I note the engine is a VVT
too.

I asked myself the same question and apparently, yes it does. I had never heard of a Toyota Sienna so I Googled it, and found clips on YouTube of people giving it some welly and saying, "got 0-60 in 7.2 seconds this time but still too much wheelspin"...

It obviously has to compete with all the other quick minivans. Found this with them ranked by 0-60 time!:
www.autos.com/autos/vans/minivans/acceleration

Similarly Vauxhall make a 240bhp VXR version of the Zafira, that has always puzzled me as to who buys them, why not buy a big fast estate instead?

Edited by Rich 9-3 on 14/03/2008 at 13:57

Mismatched specifications - blue_haddock
Similarly Vauxhall make a 240bhp VXR version of the Zafira that has always puzzled me
as to who buys them why not buy a big fast estate instead?

Frustrated husbands with 3 kids who's wives say they need an MPV. Ok i may have to have a Zafira but at least it's going to be a quick one!
Mismatched specifications - Kevin
> a big, 8 seater thing, and it's fine. Comfy, massive,

Would you want one with a 2L 4cyl?

No, I thought not.

>Saying that, the complete lack of steering feel does translate to impressively little torque steer.

It's a people carrier designed to appeal to US soccer mums ferrying kids around. Pin-sharp steering and torque steer would be unacceptable.

Kevin...