Bedford to the Wirral peninsular - bathtub tom
I've got to do this journey middle of next week. Constraints mean I can't start before about 5 pm. I thought of going M1-A50-M6-M56-M53.
Any comments, or advice gratefully received.
Bedford to the Wirral peninsular - Armitage Shanks {p}
I went to the Wirral a week ago and 'cut the corner' by turning off the M6 at J 18 and taking the A54 thru to A51 and then Chester ring road North to join M53. It is less distance but probably about the same time.
Bedford to the Wirral peninsular - Bromptonaut
From Northampton I'd probably use M1/M6Toll as far as the Potteries, but what you suggest is a perfectly good route. Be busy at that time of day but should keep moving. to the M56. I've not gone M1 A50 for some time but it used to be better to stay on the M1 direct to J24 rather than follow the signs via J23A/A453 due bad traffic light timings where the A453 reaches J24.

The M56 is something of a "Great Way Round"and the M6 section through Cheshire can get busy. Shorter alternates after Stoke would be A51 (IIRC rather wearisome) or A54 to Chester then the M53.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 08/03/2008 at 16:35

Bedford to the Wirral peninsular - astrabob
I live on the Wirral, and have travelled to Bedfordshire / Hertfordshire many times.

I think that your suggested M1-A50-M6-M56-M53 is by far the best route. You'll miss Birmingham, and the M6/M56 will have cleared by the time you travel on them.
Bedford to the Wirral peninsular - PhilW
Mother in law lives in Wirral and route suggested by OP gets us there quickest (unfortunately).
Agree about going to J24 rather than J23A. Worst bit is M6 - always congested but have tried "cut-off" routes through Cheshire and they are no quicker usually.

Edited by PhilW on 08/03/2008 at 19:59

Bedford to the Wirral peninsular - Nsar
I'd say it was the first half of the journey you should be looking for alternatives. By the time you're North of Stoke the traffic will be light and the m way is the simple choice for eating up miles without worrying about threading your way along A roads you're not familiar with.

Bedford to the Wirral peninsular - Bill Payer
I'd leave a bit later, rather than push to get away at 5PM and hopefully the traffic will be easing off.
Then use M1/M6/M6 Toll/M6/M56/M53.
Later sections of M6 and the M56 ought to be fine by the time you'll be getting to them.
Bedford to the Wirral peninsular - doug_r1
I live on the Wirral and would avoid the motorways wherever possible, there's always problems around Knutsford, and I travel eastwards up the M56 every day, and the other side often seems very slow or static in the morning. If it was me I'd come up the M6, join the M54 towards Telford, off at junction 3 and stay on the A41 to Chester, and join the M53 at Chester for the Wirral. This is assuming there's no major roadworks on the route.
Bedford to the Wirral peninsular - Bill Payer
I travel eastwards up the M56 every day and the other side
often seems very slow or static in the morning.

What's it like at 9pm in the evening though, which is likely to be the earliest OP will get to it? I'm thinking it will be pretty clear.
If it was me I'd come up the M6 join the M54 towards Telford off at junction 3 and stay on
the A41 to Chester and join the M53 at Chester for the Wirral.

A personal choice, but that's not a nice route in the dark. And you get stuck behind trucks doing 40MPH with few overtaking opportunities.
Bedford to the Wirral peninsular - Pugugly
M56 is pretty quiet at 9.00pm both ways.
Bedford to the Wirral peninsular - bathtub tom
Reply to 318189:

The removal was nothing to do with me.
I've opened a dictionary - the penny's dropped - AAARRRR!
Bedford to the Wirral peninsular - Pugugly
Do you want me to correct the headings for you ?