2005 1.8 Petrol 56k-buy it? - Norman77
Dear backroomers,

Will be viewing this car next friday. Main dealer p/x. I dont know alot about Fords.
Are there any potential expenses coming up like cambelts or other things which i should negotiate into the deal.

By the way its the petrol version and a one owner car with FSH

Anybody own one and could share their experiences?
Many thanks.

Edited by Webmaster on 07/03/2008 at 13:28

2005 1.8 Petrol 56k-buy it? - rich66
Is it the mk1 or mk2? I assume it's the mk1 (due to engine) but 2005 is about when the mk2 came out.

Cambelt change is at 80k or 5 years . AirCon check every 3 years (according to service manual) and renewal of brake fluid every 2 years. Major service every 3 years (annual service otherwise). You could visually check the brake discs and pads (it's easy to see the outer side anyway).

The 1.8 petrol is said to be quite thirsty. The focus is a great car though.
2005 1.8 Petrol 56k-buy it? - cepi
We have a Focus C-Max 1.8 Petrol (late 2005) as one of Company cars, and I can add that 1.8 Petrol Engine is one of whorst engines in any Ford (we have a mix of commercial Transits, Connect, Fiestats etc.) The engine is gutless, lacking low down power, and the power delivery starts only at around of 4500 RPM.

Sure it has been reliable, with around 11L/100Km average mixed driving, it's a joy to drive on long journeys, but painfull making any decent progress in city.

Maybe Focus 5 door is lighter then C-Max. Give it a drive and try the engine.

2005 1.8 Petrol 56k-buy it? - blue_haddock
Adam who used to be one her had a 1.8 focus - no real performance increase over the 1.6 but it did use a lot more fuel. Moral of the sotry was get either a 1.6 or a 2.0 as the 1.8 was neither here nor there.
2005 1.8 Petrol 56k-buy it? - agrb
purchased a Y reg in Jan 2006 with 115k 1.8 Ghia. Lovely car . great to drive fsh.consumption is reasonable I think at around an average of 35mpg -moreon a run.nothing spent except for usual consumables & servicing.Had the cambelt done at once-better safe than sorry!! My opoen your eyes re Ford cars.At 56k would recommend doing cambelt straight away despite Ford saying 100k. best of luck.