Motorway service station time limits - Westpig
I've read or seen something recently (can't remember where, thought it might have been Watchdog, but 'the boss' says she doesn't remember it) about a chap who parked in a m/way service station when driving from Cornwall to Scotland overnight and copped a fine because he stayed in a service station car park for more than 2 hours whilst having a nap...was zapped on a camera.

would be interested to hear what others think. Personally i think we ought to be encouraging drivers to take decent rest stops, not fining them.... and what harm was he doing in the middle of the night. When we do overnight journeys to Scotland, when we stop in a service station, more often than not we're the only ones in there.

How come the French provide decent rest stops with picnic tables etc, whereas over here you get sod all and are expected to pay through the nose for something wholly unpalatable.

{amended typo in subject header}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 03/03/2008 at 13:40

Motorway service station time limts - Pugugly
It was here - don't ask me about where the post is, it was this weekend though.
Motorway service station time limts - rjr
It was a letter in HJ's column in the paper:

www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/main.jhtml?xml=/motor...x
Motorway service station time limts - yorkiebar
With all the signs saying "tiredness kills, take a break" I would argue until I was blue in the face that I was obeying the advice from Vosa unless there was any clear sign stating the opposite. Would be an intrersting topic to argue on the fine points of the law imo. Motorway service station forcing you back on to motorway when tired etc?

I agree, German, Belguim, Holland, France, Luxembourg etc motorways are much better at allowing drivers breaks, including free picnic areas with free toilets etc.
Motorway service station time limts - spikeyhead {p}
Do they have any legal basis for imposing the fines? I know that the railway companies have dispensation to issue parking tickets but apart form that its councils and traffic wardens / police that can do this, not private companies.
Motorway service station time limts - Harleyman
The UK is an absolute disgrace when it comes to driver's rest facilities. Doesn't matter if you're in a car or lorry, the MSA's are horrendously expensive, frequently dirty and poorly spaced on some motorways.

Away from the motorways it can sometimes be even worse. The A14 for example is very poorly served by service areas, and those that do exist are not well signposted.

The excuse for sky-high prices used to be that they're open 24/7, but then again so are Tesco these days.

FWIW truck drivers have to pay anything between £15 and £20 per night to simply park on MSA's with no guarantee of security or even the most basic of facilities. Frequently there is only one shower available for up to 50 drivers, assuming it's not broken; if that happened in a jail there'd be uproar.
Motorway service station time limts - pda
The prices have gone up in the last few weeks harleyman and some are now £25.

As you say, there is no guarantee of safety or even hot water for a wash though.

Pat
I knew I'd read it somewhere......DT won't allow us to edit those particular posts !
Motorway service station time limts - Bilboman
If MSAs were boycotted completely for just one weekend it might make their operators think a little and maybe start to offer something resembling service. The excellent guide to "just-off-the-motorway" places to eat should be extended to "stop and have forty winks without getting arrested" places. Over time, of course, there will be no such places left as stopping on any land will, sooner or later, become illegal and transgressors will be hounded and treated like terrorism suspects as a matter of routine. Next stop - metered parking bays and traffic wardens at Service Areas??
The damage is already done - MSAs were worhtless pieces of scrubland alongside motorways which the government of the day simply auctioned off to the highest bidder and these places have operated on the basis of profit (=greed) and pandering to shareholders right from day one. The idea of service simply isn't there. On a (not cheap) fuelling stop at a certain Hampshire MSA, I remember being laughed out of the shop when I asked for a squeegee on a pole, a brush, even a bucket of water - SOMETHING to clean my insect-encrusted screen with.
Motorway service station time limts - BobbyG
Wonder how long it will take Tesco to open a motorway service station wholly owned by them?
Motorway service station time limts - Tron
I never use MSA's - too expensive, noisy and busy.

I know this is not realistic for all classes of working drivers, but as a pleasure motorist this is how I get my rest breaks in on longer trips and more often than not, I too find the odd HGV, coach, van driver or sales rep in the same car park!!!

I prefere to go off route (as in Sat Nav points of interest) find a friendly pub/cafe and eat realistically priced home cooked style food.

Food that has not sat in a food cabinet for a goodness knows time period and sit in a comfortable, quiet, clean and unhurried environment.

Either that or again going off route, planning the journey, taking my own drink & food and just getting to a quiet location for a rest.

Unless you are doing huge distances (as in HGV or rep/sales etc., driving) what more do you need?

Edited by Webmaster on 06/03/2008 at 21:15

Motorway service station time limts - jbif
To answer the original question regarding "why only 2 hours free parking", MSAs are regulated by the Government and the licensed operator has some "obligations to provide certain universal free services" -
"The Department of Transport impose certain conditions on the operation of MSAs in order to secure basic services for all motorway users at all times. These conditions are that MSAs must provide:-
services for all motorway users 24 hours a day every day of the year;
at least hot drinks and cold food at all times;
leaded and unleaded petrol and diesel;
free lavatories with public access;
free parking for two hours (after which charges may be made) in quantities specified by the Department of Transport;
a picnic area of at least half an acre;
showers and shaver points for lorry drivers;
public telephones;
a tourist information point if required by the Regional Tourist Board;
a police post if required by the local constabulary;
all facilities to be made available and accessible to disabled people (eg. dedicated parking spaces to be reserved near amenities);
and they must not:-
allow the sale or consumption of alcohol;
allow rear access to the site to be used other than by MSA staff, delivery vehicles, and the emergency services;
be used for purposes unconnected with the use of the motorway. The MSA must not become a destination in its own right, generating extra traffic on the motorway. Its purpose is to serve the incidental needs of people in the course of a motorway journey. "

Motorway service station time limts - PhilW
"a picnic area of at least half an acre"

Where are these? Unless the car-park/truck park counts. Certainly no picnic area (or at least what I would term a picnic area) at most MSAs - or have I just missed them for the last 40 years. I can think of a few picnic tables on grass at Strensham but other than that I'm stumped
Motorway service station time limts - pmh
What is the definition of Parking vs Waiting?

I would have thought that if he was asleep waiting for the Restaurant to open , he was not 'parked', merely waiting. At least worth appealing?

Motorway service station time limts - wildcolonial
What a pathetic situation it sounds like you have there. A boycott shouldn't be that hard to organize - just leaving the motorway to get petrol in small towns nearby should be possible with a little organization, and a few days of this should be noticed by the fine people who own the motorway "service" stations. I wonder who is being serviced here.
It also sounds like a business opportunity for someone who does have a clue what "service" means. A shower would be welcome at the end of a long day of driving.
Motorway service station time limts - davidh
Cant sleep for more that 2 hours at a service station?

Oh well, at least it stops you waking with a sore throat from being gassed and wondering where all your stuff has gone from the car.

I do agree its a shameful practice from the MSA's however they are not unique in charging you to park and then absolving themselves of any responsibility to you or your property - that is the case with all pay and displays - its just that you are a captive audience.

Like has been said, they encourage you to take a break then penalise you when you do - its two organisations that are not working together it being the free market economy - big business just cares about profit and the government like to tell you what to do.

May be I'm paranoid but I would definately not park in just any lay-by off the road to avoid this scenario. Its dangerous out there and lets face it, you are at your most vulnerable whilst asleep.

Motorway service station time limts - Westpig
i've never been a 'vanner'...what do those folk do? If i was to do a long journey in a camper van or towing a caravan, the easiest option would be to pull in to a service station and go to bed until you feel like waking up.

do they have to arrange a proper camp site etc.....seems a bit harsh to have to pay for a site for no doubt 24 hours and not necessarily near the m/way.......when you might want to stay there only 6 hours or so, if you want to maximise the time at your end destination

I have noticed many lay bys with 'no overnight camping signs' in them...what harm does it do? Most beauty spots don't have tourists wanting to look at the view in the middle of the night.
I have noticed many lay bys with 'no overnight camping signs' in them...what harm does it do?

Just think about it - if there were no time limitations, the short term car park becomes a longterm stay. How would you "police" any misuse of such leniency?

Also, in reply to some earlier points, the MSA operators do so under terms of a contract they enter in to with the Dept of Transport. Under that contract, they are required to provide certain free services -parking, toilets, etc. - the cost of which they hope to recover from the chargeable activities - eg. sale of food, petrol, accommodation, etc.
The DOT reckon that 2 hours is sufficient for a break to relax on a long journey. Any more, and the MSA operator is entitled to charge you for the use of the facility. The MSA operator also has to pay a fee to the DOT for the privilege of running the MSA at their own profit/loss risk.
Of course, the DOT has other options to provide all these services free, eg. nationalise all of them, or contract them out to private operators and fund it all via another levy on your fuel or road-tax. Knowing that the NHS charge for parking, what chance is there that the DOT would allow you to park free at nationalised MSAs?

Edited by jbif on 03/03/2008 at 20:37

Motorway service station time limts - NARU
i've never been a 'vanner'...what do those folk do? If i was to do a
long journey in a camper van or towing a caravan the easiest option would be
to pull in to a service station and go to bed until you feel like
waking up.

Not feasible, unfortunately.

Most services only have a very small caravan parking area, and as often as not some of the bays are filled with lorries. I wouldn't mind going to the lorry area, but a number of the MSAs fine you if you park in the lorry area - even for a little while.

I've had a couple of long tows where I've gone into 5 or 6 consecutive MSAs desperate for a break, only to find no spaces left and be forced to carry on. The car and caravan combined is just over 12m, so the normal car parks are out.
"charging you to park and then absolving themselves of any responsibility to you or your property - that is the case with all pay and displays"

Funny you should say that - I have a case now on my hands, and I think I may have found a loophole in this assertion by car park operators - watch this space.
Motorway service station time limts - Westpig
PU,

Are you going to cheer up all 43 English and Welsh police forces by setting a precedent that a car park owner has responsibilities that cannot be negated by a disclaiming sign?

If so watch the car crime figures drop...as they have done in car parks that win awards for it.
Oh no, civil obligations.....funny you should say what you did though. Been looking at this ParkMark stuff in some detail....interesting.

Edited by Pugugly on 03/03/2008 at 19:44

"charging you to park and then absolving themselves of any responsibility to you or your property - that is the case with all pay and displays"

refer to: www.logiclaw.co.uk/pages/PJ.html

Motorway service station time limts - davidh
Yes, thanks for the link! Some very sensible ideas on that page.

My quarrel is not necesarily that you have to abide by certain parking rules or even have to pay penalties it is just that the sign is very one sided.

There isnt a little man in a booth you can agree terms with and exchange money.

Yes, I know its me that is wanting to use their land for an hour or two to go shopping, but lets face it, 3 or 4 quid is still money which should hold some weight no matter how small the amount i.e it forms a form of contract based upon a promise to pay the bearer and it is the queens.

Am I being silly here or should I have rights when using money?

If i buy a washing machine I have rights because I have given money for the service of supplying a goods. No amount of signage can remove the shops duty of care to me can it?

Why not with a parking service. They can take a running jump if they think they dont have to reasonable look after my car when I am on their land and I have paid money.

Rant over! :-)

Motorway service station time limts - R75
Go on then PU, you finally going to let us in on the secret, we have all been watching for 9 months now!!
Settled out of Court - thus no precedent - oh well. Where has nine months gone.....?
Motorway service station time limts - grumpyscot
Certainly no picnic area (or at least
what I would term a picnic area) at most MSAs - or have I just
missed them for the last 40 years. I can think of a few picnic tables
on grass at Strensham but other than that I'm stumped

Visit the services at Tebay (North & South) and Killington Lake on the M6. Not just picnic tables but lovely little duck ponds and signed walks.

Maybe that's why they're always voted the best in the UK.
Motorway service station time limits - The Confederate
Hi there,
I'm from Cornwall although I am not the one in your message. However, I feel you might be interested in the following.
On the morning of 29/11/08 one of my drivers having driven down from Frazerburgh non stop except for fuel, Pulled into the Lymm Truck Stop (M6) and a designated truck stop at that. Time 01.26 after having had a cup of tea and a sandwhich he returned to his vehicle with the intention of moving on to Altrincham some 7-8 miles away where he was to load that morning. Relaxing in his seat he fell a sleep only to wake because of being cold, realising he should not be there he moved off without thinking he should look to pay excess parking the time 04.25am.
I received a parking ticket this morning for £110, had I received the ticket before the 24/12/08 it would have allowed me to pay a discounted fee of £50 that option has now gone. Apart for the users of the onsite Travel Lodge the car park was empty.
I totally agree with all that has been said by other forum members and would like to add that it is time we brits started to fight back, can you see the french truckers sitting back and taking it on the chin, No Way.
.*******
A very uptight trucker,
The Confederate.
Motorway service station time limits - Mr X
Can the truckers not organise a boycott of the place for a set period and use stops before and after. This must be the best time to do it what with recession and all that .
Motorway service station time limits - 1400ted
It would be worth Confederate checking from whom the PCN is from. If it is from a private parking company then do not pay it..it is breach of contract. They can only sue the person who parked the vehicle through the County Court, and then only for the amount lost to them. You do not have to speak to them or tell them who was the parker. If they are threatening you with a 'fine' then they commit an offence and you can report them to the police.
One other point, Poplar Truck Stop, (Lymm) is not on the motorway but is accessed off a roundabout on the A50. It replaced the old Poplar Cafe years ago. This may make it a different proposition to an Mway service area. PCN in this case
will mean Parking Charge Notice rather than Penalty Charge Notice..Have a look at Pepipoo.com
Ted
Motorway service station time limits - Andy P
You don't to boycott them - go in and use only what's free (toilets etc.)
Motorway service station time limits - jbif
Can the truckers not organise a boycott of the place

Yep, invite them to come and camp/eat/poo at your house free, for as long as they like.

How sad.
Motorway service station time limits - BobbyG
To "The Confederate", whilst I sympathise with your grievance over charges etc, what your comment is effectively saying is that your driver drove from Fraserburgh, basically non stop except for fuel (surely lorries would hold enough fuel to do that journey?), he had a cup of tea, returned to his vehicle ready to drive away and woke 2 hours later?

Well for his sake, the other motorists sake, and his employer's sake, surely its better that this sudden sleep happened in the services rather than on the motorway at 56mph?

As with many products and services nowadays, if you don't like them or are unhappy with the value for money, then don't buy them / use them and go somewhere else?

Now if its a case of there isn't somewhere else, or to do so will mean a detour that will cost £x in time/fuel etc, then that at least gives you a measure to compare whether the original service is value for money in comparison.

Personally, I use service stations for a loo stop (and they are always very clean) and that is basically it. Will take packed lunch in car due to the high prices in the service stations for all goods.
Motorway service station time limits - adverse camber
To give a little - only a little, mind - defence.

Lots of people use the service stations as car parks. We used to. Meeting somewhere in a town? 3 or 4 attendees coming from different places?

Meet up at the nearest services - drive into town in one car discuss meeting.

Afterwards, drive back to services and talk over meeting. split up and off you all go.

I'm sure this used to be a significant issue for some services.
Motorway service station time limits - nortones2
Two hours is ample for most, surely? If you need a proper kip, rent a bed in the adjacent motel thing. or, as at Donnington, buy an extra hour or two on pay and display. Without some form of time limit, users will hog the parking, as with our local supermarket. With the introduction of an enforced two hour limit, lo and behold, you can usually get a space even on market days. The tight-wads previously swanned off around town all day. Or used the car park as a commuters freeby.
Motorway service station time limits - Old Navy
I stopped using motorway service areas years ago. I found them to be run down, poor value, and often crowded. I use facilities close to motorway junctions, supermarkets (fuel), shops, pubs, and all manner of sevices within minutes of the motorway. In the summer and during the recent holiday period I have seen cars queuing to enter service areas. Lemming mentality?

Off topic but parking, Our local council allows long term free parking at a nearby park and ride with a direct bus link to the airport, only requirement, leave details with park and ride staff.
Motorway service station time limits - Ian (Cape Town)
I stopped using motorway service areas years ago. ...
poor value ... Lemming
mentality?

To combine (sort of) your thread and Mr X's...
What I hate is that our local facilities are all stamped from the same mould - if you are doing a long distance journey, you are more or less obliged to stop at the same old same old rubbish franchised-type fast-food places, eating similar rubber-stamp (and made of rubber) toasted sandwiches, burgers or greasy breakfasts. No variations available.
Milk? Forget it... milkshakes available, though!
Fruit? or a Salad? No chance.
I'm not a health freak by any stretch, but imagine a 1500k journey, and the amount processed gunk one would eat if you stopped 3 or 4 times?
And they cost an arm and a leg as well!
Motorway service station time limits - PhilW
"I stopped using motorway service areas years ago."
Same here - except for loos or to eat my own butties and drink coffee from my flask in the car park.
I have also downloaded locations of Sains, Tesco, Morrisons, Asda etc to my Tom Tom. If I need to eat/drink I "find nearest" - they are rarely more than a few miles off the motorway and a "full English breakfast" for £2.79, or "fish and chips" for £4 is good value compared to a sandwich or burger for the same price at the services. In addition, the supermarkets also have healthier options (if you are that way inclined!!). Another good one is IKEA - meatballs and chips for £3 ish and as much coffee as you want!
In desperation I might use Roadchef services because as an RAC member I get 15(?)% discount on anything bought (including stuff like daily paper, Mars bar etc)
Happy motoring
Phil
Motorway service station time limits - hxj

I've done that many a time, or even worse.

Three of us met up at the services, left two cars, drove down M1 picked another colleague up at services further down the Motorway.

Day long meeting in North London, reverse process.

Motorway service station time limits - pda
To those of you who are proud of using the MSA's only for their free srvices, I would like to thank you on behalf of all lorry drivers.
It is entirely down to you that we have now been asked to pay £25 just to park overnight.
To the person who wants us to boycott them............why should we?
Where should we park instead?
How about your street? Can we use your shower free? and come in and use the toilet whenever we want?

We pay the fee demanded if we're stopping over the 2 hours free time allowed as you also agree to do when you park there.

Not long ago we took a lot of flack from car drivers for supporting the fuel strike and causing you to be held up, you can't expect us to fight your battles for you when it suits you and you alone!

I'm parked at Doncaster Services tonight, it's one of the cheaper and better ones, but I've paid £18 for that priveledge.

The PDA has battled with Moto, Wecome Break and Roadchef for 8 years now and had little success in getting better facilities and lower prices.
But one thing always sticks in my mind..................at Strensham North bound in the summer holiday period, the bill for toilet roll alone, for a week, was £1700 and that was 3 years ago.

The other thing is is that if you had a product that sold out on a daily basis, as parking spaces do, would you reduce the price or alter the terms?

Pat
No body should be paying for parking at service stations at any time. If the people running them can't achieve profits from the provision of 24 food and drink plus fuel sales and shop items, then they don't deserve to run a business. Charging people to park on them is just the lazy way of upping the book figures.

Don't understand the bit about daily shortage of parking spaces. It is my understanding that most HGV's park up over night when these places are virtually empty.
Motorway service station time limits - jbif
I hate being a a seagull following the trawler throwing sardines in the forum, but here goes:
If the people running them can't achieve profits from the provision of 24 food and drink plus fuel sales and shop items, then they don't deserve to run a business. >>

Why don't you bid for running one of these service areas since you are such a clever businessman?

Edited by jbif on 06/01/2009 at 19:42