2000 (x reg) HDi - Door mirror hanging off - FP
Car is 306 HDi X-reg. {needs to be put in the subject header, see 2 separate sticky posts for info}

A few days ago, while I was parked, some unspeakable person detached my n/s door mirror so it was hanging by its electrical cable when I returned to the vehicle.

I can see the way the mirror is attached to the plastic bit fixed to the door - there is a metal tube, presumably spring-loaded, which acts as a pivot when you want to fold in the mirror and which engages with the fixed part and is locked in place with its cams and lugs.

Temporarily I have reattached the mirror with duct tape; fortunately the electrics are OK.

Question 1: is it possible to reassemble the two parts and if so, how?

Question 2: is there any point in attempting to reassemble the two parts?

Question 3: if I need to get a new complete mirror assembly, is it a straightforward job to install?

Thanks for any advice.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 01/03/2008 at 20:34

Sorry, DD - saw the stickies but it just didn't seem to make sense what I should do as I was posting. Must try harder!
Can anyone help, please?
2000 (x reg) HDi - Door mirror hanging off - thomp1983
a new mirror is 3 torx screws from inside the door. you may need to transfer the temp sensor over to your new mirror if you have it fitted. if your mirror back is color coded then this can be taken off and transferred too. a bog standard black mirror with electrics should be £10 or less from ebay

chris
Many thanks for this. I take it there's no point in attempting a repair - I suppose if a "new" mirror is available for around £10 that's not too bad.

Yes, the mirror back is colour-matched with bodywork. Does it just come off with a bit of persuasion from a screwdriver?
UPDATE

Sorry if this is fairly trivial, but I thought I'd update this thread for the benefit of others in the same predicament.

It doesn't seem possible to reassemble/repair the mirror once it has been broken apart in this way - presumably by someone pressing vertically down on it.

A new replacement costs in the region of £100.

Thanks to Thomp I went down the route suggested and eventually got the correct type of mirror from e-Bay at a cost of £21.50 including postage. I discovered that over the time 306s have been produced there have been at least four different types of electric mirror and my first purchase from e-Bay was of an incorrect type (though it looked OK from the photos) - fortunately the seller accepted returns. I eventually got one from a car that was exactly the same year and model (X-reg Meridian) and included the temperature sensor.

The body-colour-matched cover can be changed over with a little careful persuasion and fitting the whole mirror assembly is pretty simple. Job done in 20 minutes.

Edited by ChrisPeugeot on 18/06/2008 at 11:46