99 1.25 zetec headlight relays. - p0l0nium
Dip beams stays on when lights are on full beam - is this normal ??

Reason I ask : It recently blew BOTH main-beam fuses within 1 minute of each other because the wire insulation inside the headlight modules melted against the clip that holds the main beam H1 bulbs in place. I am wondering if the headlight internals are overheating.

Maybe some kind soul can verify what happens on theirs ??

Cheers

P
99 1.25 zetec headlight relays. - jc2
If the headlights are fitted with two seperate bulbs rather than one combined bulb for dip & main,then both wiil normally be used when you switch to main;the dip remaining on to illuminate the area closer to the car.
99 1.25 zetec headlight relays. - p0l0nium
Thanks for that ... it confirms what I learned from the wiring diagram in the Haynes manual after I finally understood it (it has at least one error! - no + connection to the dip-beam relay ).

The wiring on this little car is very strange ... 3 of the headlight bulbs have their -ve wires connected directly to earth but the 4th (LH dip beam) is wired to earth via a relay and can have +12V switched onto its -ve wire ... very wierd.

Anyone have an idea why they do this ??
99 1.25 zetec headlight relays. - elekie&a/c doctor
The headlights are wired this way as the car may have the old system of dim/dip headlights where the headlights are on low power when sidelights and ignition are switched on.hth