Friend emigrating - Happy Blue!
A good acquaintance is emigrating in April. He drives a one yar old EOS V6 which is noce, but I don't want a two door car.

His wife drives an 06 Touran Tdi DSG with leather and SatNav. I know nothing about it other than she is the second owner and is a calm woman. Our eldest child is leaving junior school in July 2009 at which point our Trajet will be almost five years old and my wife has indicated she wants a smaller car thereafter.

I am thinking about selling the Outback (I know, I know!) and driving the Touran myself for 18 months at which point SWMBO can take it and I will get something else for me.

No idea about price, condition or mileage, but assuming average condition for age and lower mileage... am I mad to consider it?
Friend emigrating - Alby Back
I had a Touran on hire in Denmark a while back. It was a very pleasant, easy to use, well thought out vehicle. I remember thinking something along the lines of it being everything anyone would actually need in a car. To be honest though, it just failed to make me like it, can't tell you why, just an intangible lack of connection on my part anyway. It was a bit like that aquaintance who is pleasant, quite good at many things, never argues with you but for some reason you just find him a bit ...well...dull, I suppose. Having said all that, others may feel differently and I should think it would be a useful thing which is unlikely to give you any grief.
Friend emigrating - AlastairW
Where is Altea Ego when you need him? Not the biggest fan of the Touran as I recall.
Friend emigrating - Nsar
>>Where is Altea Ego when you need him?<<

Surely the first time those words have been typed in the BR? :)
Friend emigrating - charlesb
Well

I've had a 1.9 TDi (manual 6-speed) for 3 years, and it does the job, handles nicely and is fairly nippy at times. Private purchase (sadly my role at work doesn't qualify for a Company car)

My colleague at work opted for a company car 2.0 TDI DSG and loves it. I know Honest John liked the DSG also.

I don't have anything particularly bad to say about it. the 2.0 is far better puller and quicker acceleration, but I'm happy with the 1.9 (to me, with 3 kids in tow, I'm not in any hurry)

When it rains, water cascades from the roof into the interior when you open the doors (particularly the back doors).

I think it's worth considering, as long as the price is right (Leslie Crowther eat your heart out)

Friend emigrating - daveyjp
I drove a Touran for a week in Menorca last year - 1.9TDi manual.

I'm not a fan of MPVs, but for transporting 4 adults and daughter in a baby seat plus associated luggage it did admirably and never felt underpowered.

We didn't need to use the rearmost seats as the car is wide enough for two plus babyseat in the rear - unlike my A3. The boot is very small if you do need to use the rear seats and carry luggage on a regular basis.

The rear door is very heavy and opens quickly - watch your chin!

I would have liked reversing sensors.