01 1.8 - Engine slow to warm up on cold mornings - Bri
2001 1.8i LX Petrol {year and engine details should have been in subject header! - now added as per ignored requests}

On cold mornings my car takes ages to get to temperature. The temperature gauge hardly moving until I have covered upto 6 or 7 miles. The heater output consequently is also very poor. The revs at idle even after a considerable distance show that the mixture is still rich. Any ideas please

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/02/2008 at 10:17

Engine slow to warm up on cold mornings - Peter D
Thermostat stuck open may be. Does the car eventual get to running temp and say there or is it all over the place. Regards Peter
Engine slow to warm up on cold mornings - Bri
Hi Peter,

When the temperature eventually registers normal, it does not allways remain constant but can vary up & down, particularly if I am standing in trafic for any length of time. Once on the move again & making the engine work the temperature will rise again to normal.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/02/2008 at 10:17

Engine slow to warm up on cold mornings - MW
Start the cold engine and feel the top hose. It should be cold for some time and then quickly get warm (as the thermostat opens). If it very gradually warms up, in a linear fashion, it is likely the thermostat is open (but maybe then works normally). I believe these are now an electronic unit (£110+?) and you have to buy the whole show.
Engine slow to warm up on cold mornings - Bri
Thanks MW,

Will try that - It appears that the thermostat on this model is a special if it costs that much. I can see from the Haynes manual that it looks difficult to change?
Regards
Engine slow to warm up on cold mornings - shadyarea
I to have the same problem on my mk 3 2.0ltr petrol have done since before xmas
have bought thermostat and housing (complete unit) off ford parts direct and was over £20 cheaper is a bit of a job to do also looks like il have to remove steering pump.
for now though till weather gets warmer and i have time i have coverd 3quarters of
the radiator with turkey foil to help speed up warming and this has helped and it
does not over heat in traffic.hope this helps