2001 (Y), 1.8 TDDi Ghia - Pootle
Posted around a week ago re: Focus TDDi, about to do a deal on the car, had a car inspection report that indicated a possible oil leak that requires investigation. The franchised dealer that we're buying it off has seen the report and serviced the car, and says it has attended to any problems found in the report. That's good news, but spoke to the salesman re: the possible oil leak and I've been told that they think it's from the turbo and that 'an amount of used oil will come through the turbo and this is normal'. So my question is - is it normal for a turbo to expel used oil slightly or is that B.S. to get the sale done? If not, then what do I need to ask is done on the car before the money changes hands?

Franchised dealer, car in reasonable nick, done around 57k miles. Everything else on the report checks out OK - I'm not expecting it to be a glowing report on a 7-year old Ford, but all the same I need to do my best to make sure I'm not buying into a big problem.

I would really appreciate any comments on how best to proceed?
2001 (Y), 1.8 TDDi Ghia - Screwloose

Depends on the size of the leak. Are we talking a slight oiliness around a clipped hose joint, or dripping oil?
This I'm not sure of. The report says "CV boot RH, we would recommend the engine oil is cleaned from the outer boot and the source is investigated, engine leak or spillage during service?"

The Engine Oil Level is reported as satisfactory on the report. The car was brought in as P/X, and hadn't been valeted/touched when I looked at it and when the inspection engineer looked at it. The coolant was low, which makes me think that the oil levels haven't been affected in terms of a constant leak because things hadn't been attended to in other areas i.e. coolant, so if there was a big leak, the levels would have shown it.

Is this any help?

2001 (Y), 1.8 TDDi Ghia - Screwloose

Yes; that's clearly a reasonable leak/spillage - though not one, of the very few, that would affect the level.

It needs finding.
What's the implications if left? What should I say to the garage - if they've narrowed it down to the turbocharger then what is the likely source? Is it a case of no deal until they find it?
2001 (Y), 1.8 TDDi Ghia - kithmo
I wouldn't worry about it if it's just on the RH outer CV joint rubber gaitor, that's directly below where the oil filter is and because the filter is horizontal, it's almost impossible to remove the filter without spilling oil all over there and the surrounding area. It's just sloppy servicing really, the techie not cleaning up properly after the oil change.
When I change SWMBO's oil I put a load of cloths around the CV gaitor to soak up as much as possible then clean the rest off by turning the joint around with the wheel off the ground. An experienced vehicle inspector should really know this or be able to work it out by looking where the filter is, sounds like he's covering his back.
What the dealer said is partly true, there usually is a light oily film around the hose to metal pipe connections on the turbo and EGR vale areas, but it has nothing whatsoever to do with the above.

Edited by kith on 15/02/2008 at 20:40