'04 1.8 - Rattling sounds from gearbox when idling - jwood
Trick one to explain, but I'll do my best...

My 2004 Focus makes an odd noise, from the gearbox I think. I sounds like a rattling, Grrrrr...... sound and seems to happen at relatively low revs (around 1800) when not under any load. It is particularly noticable when slowing down and coasting. If I accelerate it goes away.

What could be causing this, and is it the sign of impending problems? Or is it something that's fairly common that I don't need to worry about?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/02/2008 at 22:05

2004 Rattling sounds from gearbox when idling - Dynamic Dave
Well you've told us the year (albeit not in the subject header - as per the 3 requests that you missed), I have put the year in for you, now how about the engine details? - just in case the rattle is specific to a certain engine cc, or related to a petrol or diesel engine.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/02/2008 at 18:49

2004 Rattling sounds from gearbox when idling - piston power
Worth checking exhaust & engine mountings, whats the mileage?

There is plenty of oil in this box is there?
2004 Rattling sounds from gearbox when idling - jc2
Usually idler gear rattle- does it stop if you dip the clutch?-it's totally harmless.
2004 Rattling sounds from gearbox when idling - hector1975
Would be a good idea to change the gearbox oil if the bearinga are getting a bit tired. Rattling can be caused by a dual mass flywheel breaking up, presume only tdci has a DMA.
2004 Rattling sounds from gearbox when idling - jwood
Usually idler gear rattle- does it stop if you dip the clutch?-it's totally harmless.

Not sure about that. I'll check it next time I'm in the car. Thanks.
There is plenty of oil in this box is there?

It's done about 28000 miles. I think engine and exhaust mountings are ok. How do I check gearbox oil levels?>> Worth checking exhaust & engine mountings whats the mileage?

Edited by jwood on 15/02/2008 at 20:35

Dynamic Dave - Not really sure what you're getting at with the comment about the subject header. Anyway, the car is a 1.8 Edge.

Edited by jwood on 15/02/2008 at 20:33

2004 Rattling sounds from gearbox when idling - Dynamic Dave
jwood, there are two sticky posts at the top of the page called "NO YEAR OR ENGINE IN SUBJECT LINE = DELETION."

and a further reminder written under the subject header that is written in red when you start your question that says "(INCLUDE year of manufacture, car engine size and nature of problem;
EXCLUDE make/model as this is automatically added at start of subject)"

ps, have now edited in the engine size to your question.