Vectra Multiplay CD problem - update. - Dynamic Dave
I see my previous post has been deleted.

For those that are interested, still no luck in getting CD-R's to play. The magic marker trick didn't work, nor did spraying the label side of the CD with aerosol paint.
Strange thing is that I can get it to eventually play, but only from track 5 onwards - and that's if I'm parked up. Any movement and it skips like hell up until tracks 12 onwards.
Three things left to try.

1. A CD-R from someone else just to confirm that my re-writer isn't at fault. Somehow I don't think it is though. The CD's work fine in all other home and computer CD players.

2. More expense at trying different brands of CD-R's again. Two particular brands used to work, then they go and change the design. As you have to generally buy 5 to 10 at a time, I now have 50 or so blank CD-R's kicking around.

3. Go back to buying pre-recorded. NOT.
Vectra Multiplay CD problem - update. - Simon
Hi there, I didn't see your previous thread on this subject but may be able to offer you some advice. I have a Kenwood CD Multichanger that is a few years old now and will only play CD-R's if the car is at a standstill. Once the car gets moving they skip all over the place and are completely useless. But put the same CD-R's in a friend of mines Pioneer CD Multichanger that is also a few years old they will play perfectly even when the car is moving. Obviously this was no good to me so after talking to a few people about it I learned that apparently the laser needed to read a CD-R disc is slightly different to those that reads normal audio CD's and thus earlier/cheaper models of CD players have trouble reading CD-R discs. I don't personally know how true this is but I bought myself a brand new Kenwood CD player for my car and hey presto they play perfectly all the time. So in the end I put it down to fact that you need the quality/latest CD players to play the CD-R discs. I hope is of some help to you.
Vectra Multiplay CD problem - update. - TrevorP
Nearly right, it is not the laser that is different, it is the CD's themselves and the software that interprets what the laser "sees". Same result.
(pre-recorded have "pits" similar to physical highs and lows on LP's, CD-R's have tiny points of dye removed from a flat surface by a writer. Clever clogs software reads both as same.)
Vectra Multiplay CD problem - update. - Carl
The probelm is that both CDR and CDRW are less reflective than a normal CD, CDRW is the worst.

As a consequence, the laser in the CD player needs a higher output to read CDR/CDRW than normal CD's. I would have thought that CD players have a degree of tolerance in laser output to cope with CDR, there is no way that CDRW's play in a normal CD player. If the output of the laser in your player is set strictly to play normal CD's, you may be out of luck. Try to use the most reflective CDR that you can

The reason it is skipping on the move, is because the player cannot accuratly see the guide track.
Vectra Multiplay CD problem - update. - Dynamic Dave
you need the quality/latest CD players to play the CD-R
discs. I hope is of some help to you.

Not really. The vectra is only just over a year old. The CD-R's I have burnt and subsequently turned into coasters play fine in my mates 8yr old Pioneer system.

Thanks anyway.
CDs - Moderator Note. - M.M
Guys,

Have you see the notes from Martyn and myself on the \"Unplayable CDs\" thread below?

I was asking you not to push these discussions into the area of CD copyright fraud.

It is fair enough to discuss problems caused by a retail purchased CD that will not play in your car, also there could be an issue with playing your legit home recording of a friends band where the CD-R is rejected by a player. Anything that takes the discussion too far away from those issues is likely to give us problems.

As I hinted at before do bear in mind the main players behind this site are writers, publishers and software developers. In their own fields they would expect respect of their copyright, in turn they must support that view with other media types.

Thanks,

David W [Moderator]
----------------------------
mailto:david_moderator@honestjohn.co.uk
CDs - Moderator Note. - Dynamic Dave
Guys,
Have you see the notes from Martyn and myself on the
\"Unplayable CDs\" thread below?

Yes I did. The fact that you deleted my other post, I considered a trifle petty. You could have just deleted the ones that broke the rules - not the entire thread.
I was asking you not to push these discussions into the
area of CD copyright fraud.

AFAIC I wasn't. All I wanted was an answer to a question. The music copied to CD-R was for my own personal pleasure - not public broadcast. I don't drive around with my car windows wide open thinking its cool and groovy to deafen the whole street.
It is legal to make a back up copy anyway. Copying music to CD is no different to copying music to audio cassette. Several years ago some jobsworth tried increasing the price of blank audio cassettes - he failed.
Until music manuafactuers reduce their prices [1], I will continue to download MP3's and re-write to CD-R. The fact that I cannot play them in the car is the annoying part!! Hence my original question.

[1] CD-R's cost around 40p each. Average prerecorded CD price is £13
CDs - Moderator Note. - M.M
DD,

Moderation isn\'t always an exact science but we do our best, I\'m sorry we lost your first post in the process though. It was never intended to be \"petty\", more a case of taking a reasoned position and sticking with it.

I am no expert in the legality of making backup copies in alternative formats but, for example, in the past (before CD) I would tape a record I owned so it could be played in the car cassette machine. I saw no moral issue here because I had supported the artist by purchasing an original copy of their work on vinyl in the first place.

For the purposes of this thread I will assume you are able to download non-copyright material on MP3 and burn that to CD.

I do have my own views on the pricing of CDs and access to music but they are not quite appropriate for a \"moderator\" post.

David W [Moderator]
----------------------------
mailto:david_moderator@honestjohn.co.uk
CDs - Moderator Note. - smokie
I think it is fair to say that although copy protection is becoming more and more efficient, as with all these kinds of things, it never seems to be long before someone manages to defeat it.

I remember years ago Sky doing something with codes to prevent fraud (maybe they still do?). I happened to be browsing the web a dat after a major code change and there, posted in all it's glory, was a list of all the new codes and how to make them work.

The movie industry has tried to control global fraud by regionalising DVDs - but many shops advertise region free players, apparently quite legally.

Some computer games had fairly sophisticated protection which hackers and crackers managed to bypass. Like virus creation, it is becoming a sport amongst those in the know.

Windows XP was supposed to be incredibly secure, with multiple verification points, but there are routines around (some of which do NOT work however) which negate this security.

Telephone systems have been scammed big-time by people with particular codes/cards.

And for the motoring link - digital car dashboards - designed to reduce clocking - can be easily (and cheaply) "corrected" according to a TV programme a few weeks back.

Any of these are fraud or copyright theft, but as with many other offences where there is "no victim" (like speeding!) Joe Public is often happy to break the law.
Vectra Multiplay CD problem - update. - Stargazer {P}
With respect to David W's request, the technical problem you have described is nothing to do with copyright protection, but a well known incompatibility with CD-R and CD-RW discs and older CD and CDROM readers.

My home computer with CDROM reader can read backup data on CD-R with no problem but simply refuses to read CD-RW, my even older computer with one of the first CDROM readers (I paid a lot of extra dosh to get it put in!) will not read CD-R discs and will not even read recent pre-recorded CDROM discs (but it is ok with older CDROM discs).

Simply the technology is moving on and while the data format still meets the standard for CDROM it does it in a faster/slightly different way which the older hardware cannot cope with.

So an older car CD player with its inherently higher susceptability to vibration is always going to be a little dodgy with CD-RW and CD-R discs (however legal they are).

(Of course music CD's which use a form of data protection which means that they no longer even meet the CDROM standard should not be allowed to use the CD logo or be marketed as such under the trade descriptions act)

regards

Ian L.