Why are some New Car Dealers Cheaper - Ian Hick
I have been looking for a while at New Vauxhalls and I am staggered at how much the prices from dealer to dealer vary and what appears to be a small dealer smiths of ilkeston seem to be a lot cheaper than the big groups.

I dont have a part exchange and am a cash buyer so it does make the deals quite transparant.

The deal I have been offered I have put to various other agents and they say they cannt buy them for that price. Dont they all buy for the price with the same margin? If I could understand this it would make doing a deal much easier.

Ian
Why are some New Car Dealers Cheaper - DP
Ex-works prices are standard, but sometimes manufacturers will offer bonuses or discounts to dealers for registering a certain number of units of a given car in a certain timeframe. This can mean a dealer, particularly if they're only a few units off the target, will knock out the remaining units at a stupid price (or with 0% finance, free accessories - whatever) just to get the bonus. These bonuses are not chicken feed either, and can make quite a difference to a dealer's bottom line.

It is always worth double checking that the car is a UK model, and is not pre-registered. Pre-registration is another thing dealers do to make up numbers for bonus purposes, but ideally you want to be the first name on the log book, otherwise it is technically a second-hand car and therefore worth less.

I know someone that just got 12% discount AND 0% finance on a new MX-5 because it was the last car the dealer needed to hit a bonus scheme. The salesman was very open about it.

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 13/02/2008 at 13:24

Why are some New Car Dealers Cheaper - Rats
Ian

If you work for or are a member of one of their "partners", there are some terrific deals around, try www.partnersprogramme.co.uk

Cheers
Why are some New Car Dealers Cheaper - Ian Hick
These vauxhall partners deals do look good and the dealer in Ilkeston said that they supply you the car not straight from the manufacturer. They look a better deal if you want to take 0% or a finance deposit allowance. I still think I might be better off going straight to there special offers page on the dealers website