In Praise of Motor Factors - doctorchris
Needed a cabin filter for our 2003 Honda Jazz. Never been replaced, mainly because the job is awful on this particular car due to a CD player being installed in front of the filter housing that must be removed along with all its fiddly brackets. Any how, as it was proving almost impossible to keep the windows free of conensation I had to bite the bullet.
Phoned the dealer for a base-line figure for the cost of the filter, £23. Now, I've seen a lot of vans around Sunderland with NPA Motor Factors written on the side and as the address on the vans was nearby I thought I'd give them a try. Very efficient and could get me the filter later that day, quoted £15 "but could be less". When I went back they supplied me with filter of German manufacture for £10 which fitted perfectly.
I don't know why I've mucked around going to the likes of Halfords up to now. I'm sure that NPA will be able to come up with all the disposables that I need for servicing at very fair prices. As We have 5 cars in our household and responsibility for their maintenance falls to me I think I'll save a fair amount of dosh here.
PS, I've no pecuniary interest in this business whatsoever.
In Praise of Motor Factors - b8
fyi, According to my workshop manual, the pollen filter is behind the inner glovebox, not the CD player if that helps.

Edited by Bill8 on 14/02/2008 at 07:49

When we bought our Jazz back in 2003 it only had a radio-cassette player so we asked for a CD player to be fitted. The Honda CD player was designed to be fitted in the glovebox, bang in front of the cabin filter housing, hence the complication in fitting a new cabin filter.
By the way, my success with the Honda prompted me to replace the cabin filter on my Panda. Motor factors had it in stock at £9.05 but really difficult to fit as it is tucked way down in the dashboard just next to the clutch pedal and the steering column and 2 tiny, almost irremovable screws hold the cover in place.
In Praise of Motor Factors - normd2
I use motor factors whenever possible but the problem is they keep normal shop hours so if I need something in the evening or a Sunday (when 'emergencies' usually occur) then I don't have a choice and Halfords gets my money :(
In Praise of Motor Factors - blue_haddock
Seeing as i work in a factors i also get things from work but like you say occasionally on a sunday afternoon you sometimes do have to nip to hlafords to get parts. The best solution is to get hold a a halfords trade card. Gives varying levels of discount depending on the part but it's better in my pocket than in theirs!
Trouble with Halfords is that their stock is now so poor since they decided the profit is in satnavs, ICE and fat tyres on fancy alloys. The "fleet" that I work on at home consists of a Cinque, Jazz and 2 Nuova Pandas (the new Corsa is too new to need work) and these are rare enough for Halfords not to carry much in the way of parts. If they need to order them it can't be actioned until Mon. making them slower than the factors.
Oh, I don't need a trade card cos my friend Pat works there and gives a good discount anyhow.