Unplayable CDs - smokie
I think there is some subtle argument that says that they cannot call them CDs, because they are not made to the standard (ISO?) format.

Not all current forms of music copy protection can be circumvented in this way.

And apparently some of the methods are so crippling to an Apple Mac that it might well need a trip to the dealer (in your CAR) to rectify it.

Suffice to say there is a lot of hoo hah in the industry about this now. See www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/25274.html and all it's links for some interesting reading on the subject
Unplayable CDs - David Lacey
I think this kind of technology was inevitable given the surge of PC owners ripping CD's to their HDD's and sharing it over a P2P network.

I'm guilty of it!

MG-Rover Questions? Click on www.mg-rover.org
Unplayable CDs - TrevorP
Has anybody actually ever complained re a CD not Playing?

If that ever happened, a replacement CD or your money back from the retailer are your options.

Muttered about not being able to COPY it maybe. TOTALLY different.

Now, as I understand it, It is not against the Copyright Act to copy a CD (THAT YOU OWN) for your own purpose. They are just making that difficult.
CDs - Moderator Note. - M.M
Guys,

Please be kind to me here. Martyn has drawn a line in the sand on this one even if HJ is quite right to complain when a CD doesn\'t play in legitimate circumstances.

It\'s just the deliberate piracy intention that doesn\'t sit well here. After all remember both HJ and Martyn are involved in publishing....they don\'t want their work nicked for nowt and we shouldn\'t set out to do the same to others.

I will have more to say on a personal basis later.

David W [Moderator]
----------------------------
mailto:david_moderator@honestjohn.co.uk
CDs - Moderator Note. - David Lacey
Ok DJW, I see where you are coming from. Case closed.

But, getting back to the point - If I bought a Celine Dion CD (Which I wouldn't, anyway!) and it didn't play in my car CD player/changer I'd be most upset.

MG-Rover Questions? Click on www.mg-rover.org
Unplayable CDs - smokie
IIRC Natalie Imbruglia (sp?) had the 1st protected album some months back and Virgin and others happily refunded or exchanged subject to proof of purchase etc. The publishing company backed down and released an unprotected version.

I think Trevor is right, that it is permissible under current law to make a copy for personal backup purposes of a CD which you legally own. However, that legal test was under the "old regime" where it was possible to do so without interfering with the construction of the original article. But with the new technology copying the native CD isn't possible so the law needs to be re-tested.

Any volunteers?

btw I thought I understood that the problems arose with playing protected CDs in computer drives, not in home or car CD players. Maybe I'm wrong, it HAS been known.
Unplayable CDs - Martyn [(ex) BR moderator]
Of course, HJ is absolutely correct in what he says. He is talking about a CD that has been obtained by straightforward legal purchase. What is fraudulent (and some might say unethical) is making copies of that legally-bought CD -- more especially if they will be sold on for profit. And if, so as to make those copies, a person does something to try to beat the mechanisms the CD producers use to prevent copying, that too is fraudulent. So please respect the website and do not add to this thread in such a way that renders it liable to legal action.

Martyn [Back Room moderator]
====================
mailto:webmaster@honestjohn.co.uk
Unplayable CDs - pervance
It is morally correct, but it is totally illegal.

If a supplier sells you a product which is unsuitable for the purposes for which it was purchased, ie, the thing won't play, then you are entitled to full money refund - by law.

What is not correct, is to make a copy of the thing, and you have to make a copy of it in order to correct its faults.

That is taking the law into your own hands. That is illegal.

Although I am new to this forum, I know that HJ can take care of himself, I have followed his progress from day one!

By the way, can you tell me how to produce a signature?

Cheers.

Signatures. - M.M
P,

For a signature go into My Settings in the right side frame then Forum Options. Type what you want to see in the box provided.

David W [Moderator]
----------------------------
mailto:david_moderator@honestjohn.co.uk