1994 1.8 - Head Gasket questions - gizmo1990
First off I know next to nothing about cars which is why I guess I've come here.

Over the past few weeks I've been smelling a buring oil sound from my heaters which has been coming and going. A few days ago smoke was coming from the bonnet so I took it to my local garage. I've been told that the head gasket is probably going to need replacing... and I've been quoted £500 at least for the job.

Now obviously the cars getting on but its only got 60k on the clock and I'm loath to get rid of it right now. Money is a big reason but also the time and effort to find another motor. I also only had the cam belt replaced a few months ago... :(

I'd really appreciate peoples opinions here on whether they think it's worth getting this done? Not just in the short term but in the long term too. How many more miles would I be looking at after I'd got a new HG? Are there any tests I could get done on the car to find out if there are any more 'major' problems with it before I commit to splashing further cash on it?

Basically what sort of questions should I be asking myself and the garage too?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Edited by Webmaster on 08/02/2008 at 20:30

1994 1.8 - Head Gasket questions - ChicksFan
Your car in reasonable condition is worth probably £350, maybe even £450 in a private sale. To spend £500 to repair it doesn't make economic sense to me.

Shame though after spending the money to have the cambelt renewed.

I'd buy another banger with a long MOT, and take someone with you who knows about cars, to make sure you don't buy a dud.

Edited by ChicksFan on 08/02/2008 at 23:26

1994 1.8 - Head Gasket questions - Screwloose
gizmo

Does it use a lot of water? What evidence is there of a HG failure?
Thanks for the replies.

Screwloose,
My engine temperature gauge says everything is fine however the guy at the garage said my radiator was quite low...

I can't quite remember the entire conversation I had with him but the gist of what he was saying is that they could find no leaks but that oil was getting into the engine somehow and running down the back and collecting in a tray type affair back there. This was then burning hence the smell and smoke. Water was also probably mixing with the oil.

As I said in my original post I really can't expend the time or energy right now to find a decent replacement for £500, simple as that. As silly as it sounds too, I love that car!

If the radiator level was low; when had you last checked it?

An oil leak could be from a head gasket; but it all sounds a bit iffy and uncertain to me. Get a second opinion; the engine breathers checked and get the coolant gases sniffed for hydrocarbons.
1994 1.8 - Head Gasket questions - ChicksFan
With luck it could be just a split breather hose. Just a few quid to replace.

Screwloose is right - needs checking out further before you can make a decision.
tbh I very rarely checked the radiator, ages ago at least. Since my temperature guage is saying everything is normal (no sign of overheating whatsoever even when standing in traffic for ages) I didn't think there was any need? Is that dumb of me?

It's risky; a weekly under-bonnet check can spot something unusual before it becomes damaging.

If you lose water and miss the brief upswing of the gauge - it's game over.