AX diesel accelerator sticks - MarkyMarkD
On our AX 1.5D the accelerator sticks occasionally - always when its been on full "pedal to the metal" for a long while like on the motorway or d/carriageway.

Is this a known "feature" or is it something that I can do anything about?

It's quite a pain because of course your only realise when you need to slow down!

Blipping the accelerator always seems to sort the problem out - but then it's the last thing the wife thinks of doing when the car's trying to run away into the car in front.
AX diesel accelerator sticks - David Lacey
Sounds quite dangerous to me, Mark!

It must be a cable fault or a pump lever mechanism fault - both of which are quite easy to fault-find and fix

I'd put my money on it being a frayed cable at the pump connection

MG-Rover Questions? Click on www.mg-rover.org
I will get out there and have a quick look thanks Dave!
Dave - you are a genuis! Why didn't I think of that?

Actually it was two things - the spare end of the cable was in the wrong place, so it got snagged on a metal pipe; and (maybe from getting snagged all the time) it had developed a "bent bit" which acted like a sort of hoop to catch the pipe more securely.

Moving the cable and chopping off some of the excess length should stop it from happening again - so thanks very much :-)
Glad to be of help Mark :) anytime

AX diesel accelerator sticks - jc
I can understand a cable getting bent/distorted but the comment on excess length frightens me;manufacturers don't usually give anything away.Shortening it could cause concerns with stiffness etc. unless 1.it's not a genuine cable or 2.Citroen like some other continental manufacturers don't bother to make RHD parts unless forced to(steering rack) and try to make LHD parts work.
It's either an AA repair cable or [IIRC] the Citroen replacement cable is a universal type of cable which you cut to length.

Well, thats how the throttle cable came when I replaced it on my BX DTR a few years ago