Roundabout give way signs. - ianhadden
I don't about where you live, but all the "Rounabout Ahead- give way" signs where I live (South East London) have been removed. Given all the new drivers, and immigrants, of which we have many, need a sign to follow and there aren't any, they just pull out on you, not even slowing down to check for other road users. Had a couple of close calls recently. Why have the signs been removed? It's still in the Highway Code.
Roundabout give way signs. - Armitage Shanks {p}
Stolen to melt down for their scrap value?

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 04/02/2008 at 08:43

Roundabout give way signs. - jc2
Have they taken away the lines on the road as well then?
Roundabout give way signs. - zookeeper
or maybe they are getting us ready for driving on the right? it wouldnt surprise me the way the EU bosses us about
Roundabout give way signs. - Bromptonaut
Ask TfL or the relevant London Borough for an explanation?
Roundabout give way signs. - Waino
Have they taken away the lines on the road as well then?>>

The lines here in Bury St Edmunds and indeed, in most other places I visit, are faded/worn to the point of non-existence ...... but, maybe they've been stolen - never thought of that ;-)
Roundabout give way signs. - Sofa Spud
>>>or maybe they are getting us ready for driving on the right? it wouldnt surprise me the way the EU bosses us about>>>

We should have done that years ago but it would be too difficult and expensive now.
Roundabout give way signs. - jc2
I looked this morning and none of the roundabouts near us have any "give way" signs or any evidence of having had any.They do have a roundabout sign about 100m. before the lines.
Roundabout give way signs. - FotheringtonThomas
Given all the new drivers and immigrants
of which we have many need a sign to follow and there aren't any they
just pull out on you not even slowing down to check for other road users.

Even learners who have just passed their tests (I take it that the HC is still taught?) and immigrants should know how to negotiate a roundabout.
Roundabout give way signs. - Bromptonaut
Like the post above I cannot find a give way sign on any roundabout locally, though some have a warning 100yds or so in advance.

TBH I'm not sure they help a great deal, possibly removed in the name of reducing confusing street clutter?

I'd agree with FT that new drivers should understand. As regards foreigners do any of the recent EU recruits retain the rule that gave priority to traffic joining the roundabout?. This variation of priorite a droit that was still extant into the nineties in urban France.
Roundabout give way signs. - Kiwi Gary
Bromptonaut - priorite a droit was still in force in 2006 unless signposted at roundabout entry "Cedez la droite". Made life more interesting looking for the sign or lack thereof. Just following the mob was unreliable.
Roundabout give way signs. - Harleyman
Bromptonaut - priorite a droit was still in force in 2006 unless signposted at roundabout
entry "Cedez la droite". Made life more interesting looking for the sign or lack thereof.
>>

There is only one roundabout in Ottawa, and they use this system as I found out last year, nearly at the cost of my front end!

Might have known that the French-Canadians would influence that!
Roundabout give way signs. - slowdown avenue
if you have a give way sign , you might think you were approaching a t junction as appossed to a roundabout
Roundabout give way signs. - Hamsafar
Sounds like it wasn't a proper roundabout if it had those signs, but is being made into one now. Some are just island junctions.
Roundabout give way signs. - Collos25
Lines or signs people just ignore them its a dangerous free for all with no policing, but stray into a bus lane then the full might of the law jumps down on you as they carry you of to Highgate.