Honda Prelude (96-00) or Toyota Celica (94-00)? - Chris White
Hi

I'm looking at changing cars and after people's opinions.

I've narrowed my choices down to either the Honda Prelude 2.0 (96-00 model) with the manual gearbox or the Toyota Celica GT (94-00 model, preferably not an import).

Has anybody had any experience good or bad that they could share?

Thanks, Chris.
Honda Prelude (96-00) or Toyota Celica (94-00)? - D2*
Personally In your position I would advise you to go for a Prelude 2.2 Vtec - its only 1 or 2 insurance groups higher than the 2.0 but has much better performance and almost identical fuel consumption as well as the bonus of 4 wheel steering. They don't cost much more than the 2.0L, and the H22 engine has a very good reputation for both performance and longevity so don't be put off by mileage, just buy on the cars condition.

I have had my Prelude for almost a year an half and its been both reliable, and great fun. The Celica is arguably prettier but personally I preferred the Prelude's more aggressive yet understated style. I'm sure which ever you choice you'll be happy with, but i would try and stretch the extra few hundred for a Vtec.

preludeuk.forumup.com/ has a wealth of info on the different Prelude's plus a for sale section, and is an invaluable resource for both owners and potential owners.
Honda Prelude (96-00) or Toyota Celica (94-00)? - Chris White
Thanks for the quick response and the link.

Yep, my heart says to go for the 2.2 but the insurance cost is about £120 a year over the 2.0.

I've got a £3k budget and I know I can get a nice 2.2Vti with a couple of owners, full service history and about 80k miles.

It's whether to go with my heart or my head and budget the extra money for insurance.......
Honda Prelude (96-00) or Toyota Celica (94-00)? - D2*
Glad to be of help, make sure you test both; I?m sure once you've had the 2.2VTi over 5,200rpm when Vtec kicks in it should be an easy choice!

For your 3k you should be able to get a very decent VTi. Personally I'd have no concerns about going for a slightly higher mileage 2.2 to stay in budget, as these engines are good for 200,000+ miles if well maintained.

Obviously a full service history and all old MOT's is vital as they do hide thier mileage well. Only slight weakness I?m aware of is the 5th gear synchromesh can go if the car has been abused, so make sure the box feels right when testing.

One other thing, watch out for is Japanese import 2.2 non Vtecs being sold as Vtecs. The lack of Vtec on the engine and 4 as opposed to 5 stud wheels will give the game away!