Nitrogen in Tyres - peteH
Anyone heard about using nitrogen in tyres instead of air?

I have come across it in Europe before, but the idea seems to be rare here.

A search on the web brings up www.merityre.co.uk/why_nitrogen.htm but does anyone know if any of the national chains offer it yet?
Nitrogen in Tyres - Cymro Arall
Why? Air is mainly nitrogen. Eliminating the oxygen in the air within the tyre is not going to improve safety or reduce degredation.
The website given above shows some info.

But basically as a molecule of nitrogen is larger than a molecule of oxygen (with oxygen being the main component of air after nitrogen), tyres hole there pressure for longer.

Secondly as tyres are run, air expands and increases pressure. Nitrogen expands less with heat, and so nitrogen filled tyres maintain a more constant pressure, suposidily inproving handling and consumption.

As far as I know, aircraft tyres and racing tyres (including F1) are nitrogen filled.
Nitrogen in Tyres - pmh
From memory, air is 80% N, 20% O, and you can forget the rest. If O molecules permeates thro the rubber more quickly, the refilling with air will soon increase the the proportion of nitrogen.

Do newly filled tyres loose pressure more quickly than tyres that have been reinflated several times over a period of time? I cannot say that I have ever noticed this effect. Any body else to comment?

There maybe other benefits, conductivity of heat, coeff of expansion but I wouldnt mind betting they are insignificant 2nd order(or less) effects in a domestic motoring enviroment.

pmh (was peter)
Nitrogen in Tyres - J Bonington Jagworth
"Nitrogen expands less with heat.."

Are you sure? It can't make much difference, if N2 is the already the major constituent. I should have thought that F1 cars use it simply to remove the risk of extra oxygen being suddenly released in a big prang and increasing flammability.

I also stumbled on the following: www.keelynet.com/energy/boese.htm

Anyone want a nitrogen-powered Pinto?
Nitrogen in Tyres - gcds
Nitrogen, atomic weight 14, is smaller than oxygen, atomic weight 16.
Nitrogen in Tyres - John S
A few potential benefits:

As mentioned the larger molecule size means tyres hold pressure for longer, and eliminating the oxygen reduces degradation of the tyres, both safety benefits. For high-flying jet aircraft ensuring the nitrogen is dry could help eliminate ice forming inside the tyres during flight, which may have benefits in reducing damge when they land.

Regards

John S
Nitrogen in Tyres - M.M
I'm sure I remember Halfords offering this Nitrogen service somewhere (as a trial?). As you say the reduction in pressure loss from the oxygen element was the key factor, doesn't the water vapour also permeate through the tyre?

The cost I recall was about £7-£10 a set.

If it does keep tyre pressures constant it will save money in the long run. I would say most cars arrive here for service with pressures some 5psi down and a few nearly 10psi low, edge wear patterns confirm this is a trait throughout the "between service" times.

Often this will lead to tyres being changed thousands of miles earlier than normal due to worn tread on the edges. Also it gives rubbish handling and poor steering response.

David W
The cost you quote sounds about right. Merityre are charging £1.47 a wheel, and in Germany 3 EUR (about £1.93)

Halfords garage services have been taken over by the AA. The AA website seems to make no mention of the service. Perhaps it was regional, or has been dropped.

Nitrogen in Tyres - BrianW
THINKS:
If oxygen loss is the factor, then surely once tyres have been pumped up a couple of times with air (80% nitrogen), having lost the 18% oxygen from the air originally put in, what you are left with is going to be practically 100% nitrogen anyway.
Sounds IMHO more like a money-making scam.
I think in principle you are correct.

The loss from the tyre (using air) will not be just oxygen (but the oxygen is suppose to be lose at 3 times the rate of the Nitrogen), so yes over time as you top up the Nitrogen contents should increase.

It must however have some benefits as F1 racing, and aircraft both us it. However I accept that its therotical benefits may be less for less demanding (i.e road) use.
Nitrogen in Tyres - Andy P
This whole idea of tyres losing oxygen faster than nitrogen is one of the best 'claims' I've heard in years. The difference in size between an oxygen and a nitrogen molecule is measured in fractions of a angstrom (that's one hundred-millionth of a centimetre!)

The only conceivable reason nitrogen might be used is if you wanted to remove anything that might support combustion (e.g. oxygen).

Filling tyres with nitrogen is a complete waste of money...and how would you check it anyway?

Andy
(and before you ask, I am a research chemist...)
While I think on, if it is down to the size of the molecule, why not fill your tyres with carbon dioxide...bigger molecule, non-flammable...cure global warming at a stroke!!

Andy
Nitrogen in Tyres - John S
Andy

The effect may be marginal, but it is there. Smaller molecules will permeate the tyre carcass faster. It's far worse with some gases. You'll be aware of the problem of storing hydrogen - very difficult to get a good seal due to its small molecule size. Hydrogen cylinders are notorious for loosing pressure - much faster than air. Then there was the cycle racing team that tried hydrogen in the tyres to save a few grammes. Aparently, lost pressure in very short order -couldn't hold pressure for the race.

Now, whether it's worth using nitrogen for the car is another question.
Regards

John S
After following a link on another subject I found the following info:

Tires can lose one psi (pound per square inch) per month under normal conditions. Additionally, tires can lose 1 psi for every 10 degrees F temperature drop.

Using nitrogen should reduce the pressure drop by a factor of 3, and reduce the change of pressure due to temp.

The pressure loss due to temperature is nothing to do with leakage, but to the relationship between pressure and temperature (Charles' Law). That's why you never check your tyre pressures when you've been driving, since they'll be hot, and the pressure reading will be higher.

As I pointed out earlier, filling with nitrogen will have no effect whatsoever on the rate of leakage from a tyre. It's a con.

Andy
Nitrogen in Tyres - Ian (Cape Town)
and at HOW much a tyre?
It amazes me that folk will pay good money for the latest motoring gizmo...
Don't you just love that placebo effect ...
Nitrogen in Tyres - Stargazer {P}
The use of nitrogen in tyres for aircraft and F1 cars is much more likely to do with the avoidance of water vapour in compressed air. Varying amounts of water vapour will make for very unpredictable behaviour of tyre pressure with temperature. This would have a bad effect on tyre performance in F1 and a disastrous effect on an aircraft coming into land...in tyres at ambient temp of -30degC the water vapour will condense or freeze
causing incredibly low tyre pressure and bursts before the tyre warms up enough to re-vapourize the water.

So for normal car use the use of nitrogen is a waste of effort and money. The tyres wear out long before they degrade (rot) due to water vapour inside the tyre. Having said that, for a car where the tyres are irreplaceable and the car gets very little use I would consider it to avoid degradation of the inside of the tyre eg on a vintage/veteran car.
Nitrogen in Tyres - Peter D
Now we are getting closer,

Nitrogen is used is Aircraft tyres to reduce the posibility of combustion during a tyre busting, and has the advantage that the water vapour content is very low thus eliminating the possible accumulation of water that can freeze in the undercarriage bay when the tyre is stationary and on spinning up or landing cause considerable wheel wobble particularly distressing on a nose wheel.

F1 tyres run above 100 degrees C and any water/vapour would expand considerably altering the operation pressure and performance.

Road cars would only benefit from the reduced water vapour aspect of nitrogen compared to the "Garage" undehumidified compressed air that can cuase undesirable increase in pressure from cold and the deduced corrosion of allows and the like.

Al these effects to the motorist are minimal and you probably would not notice any of the effects unless you see the inside of a tyre when you have to have it taken off due to internal corrosion. Not Very Common.

Happy Motoring
I am unconvinced by the combustion during bursting idea.

However if an aircraft type was inflated to normal pressure with air containing water vapour, then if the tyre is cooled to well below zero (-50degC is normal at 35000 feet) the resultant change in volume (and hence pressure) of the water vapour would be huge, the thermal contraction of the gas is one effect....but small, but as the gas condenses then solidifies the volume change is enormous, I am not sure of the figures but this could easily be 30-50 times smaller in volume compared to a small percentage change in volume of a gas due to thermal contraction.

So on landing the tyre is cold and under-inflated (effectively flat) causing a burst. To avoid this you would need to over-inflate the tyre which is dangerous once the tyre has increased is temperature above ambient (after a landing has completed).

Solution: use nitrogen gas which although it still thermally contracts, this is a small reproducable effect which can be allowed for in the design of the tyre.

As for balance problems, I think this is a red herring, the
water vapour would condense in tiny droplets on the inner surface of the tyre randomly distributed. Any water on the exterior would be spun off in the spin down of the wheel after take-off.
Nitrogen in Tyres - BrianW
That makes muvh more sense, Ian.
In other words, unless you are either going somewhere where the temperature will be -40 centigade or lower, or intend doing 0 to 150 in less than one second, it is a waste of time for cars.
Nitrogen in Tyres - Peter D
I ahve spoken with my Chief Test Pilot and my ground crew and they assure me that Nigrogen, as I stated previously, is used to reduce the combustability during a trye failure/burst. The condensed water droplets that can form are vibrated down to bottom of the tyre and freeze during transit and cause the wheel inbalance that I spoke of particularly single nose wheels.

I hope that clears it up for you.

Regards Peter
Nitrogen in Tyres - Tomo
Sometimes in a sleepless night I think wistfully of inflating the tyres of certain people with oxygen and HYDROGEN!
Dear All,

Thanks for an entertaining discussion! I reproduce below an excerpt from a Boeing document (courtesy of a private pilot friend) that indicates that the use of nitrogen in tyres is not to reduce combustability during a burst/failure but to prevent ignition thereby causing the burst/failure.

Specifically a hot tyre releases noxious and flammable fumes which in the presence of oxygen in the air used to inflate tyres can reach flash point and explode.

So we were all on the right track but not quite right in all the detail, but it would appear that I was wrong on the water-vapour/pressure front.

However I can now see abolutely no reason to use nitrogen in car tyres!

regards

Ian

Here is an extract from a Boeing document

"In addition, Boeing has received reports of three confirmed cases and other suspected cases in which a wheel/tire assembly exploded when the oxygen in air-filled tires combined with volatile gases given off by a severely overheated tire. In one case, the tire became overheated as a result of a dragging brake, and the wheel/tire assembly exploded when it reached the auto-ignition temperature. In another case, a wheel/tire
assembly explosion in the wheel well during flight was suspected in the catastrophic loss of one airplane. A similar explosion caused severe damage to two others.

As a result, the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration issued Airworthiness Directive 87-08-09 requiring that only nitrogen be used to inflate airplane tires on braked wheels. However, tires may be topped off with air in remote locations where nitrogen may not be available if the oxygen content in the tire does not exceed 5 percent by volume."

Nitrogen in Tyres - Mark (RLBS)
>>a wheel/tire assembly explosion in the wheel well during flight was suspected in the catastrophic loss of one airplane

I wonder which one that was.
Nitrogen in Tyres - anthony
What a fascinating discussion, thank you everyone.
Nitrogen in Tyres - edlithgow

http://tirenitrogen.typepad.com/techinfo/Ford%2520Baldwin%2520TireAging%2520%25232.pdf

Paper on oxidative tyre failure (Its specific to tread separation, but the conclusions may be generalisable)

N filling is mentioned towards the end. They find a 70% reduction in rubber degradation compared to air, so there's reason to believe it would extend tyre life IF you didn't normally wear out your tyres, which of course most people do.

It seems possible, though, that tyre performance/properties might be conserved better up to the point where they wear out.

As they point out, you can't get the oxygen below 5% without repeated purging, which I suppose the supplier/customer might not be willing to shell out for.

I don't know what the current situation is in the UK, but here in Taiwan some tyre sources supply it free as an aftersales service.

A Ford dealer I know tells me they have a "club" to supply N, for a one-off lifetime fee of 100NT. Thats about 2 quid.

I'm told if you have a Costco card they'll also supply N free even if you didn't get your tyres from them.

They can't be making money from that, but N is cheap to make (fractional distallation of air) and I suppose its a goodwill thing.

Edited by edlithgow on 11/03/2013 at 05:22

Nitrogen in Tyres - Collos25

Tests by the TUV in Germany show the opposite their conclusion it has no effect whatsoever.

Collos25 wrote:

"Tests by the TUV in Germany show the opposite their conclusion it has no effect whatsoever. "

Interesting. You got a reference for that?

All I can find is

ec.europa.eu/enterprise/sectors/automotive/files/p...f

2003 TUV Report “Survey on Motor Vehicle Tyres and Related Aspects".

173 pages and N doesn't seem to get a mention.

(I havn't tried Googling in German, though, which I suppose might be necessary)

Nitrogen in Tyres - Brit_in_Germany

Hier, z.B.

http://www.berlin.de/special/auto-und-motor/werkstatt-inspektion/2119183-2215627-reifengas-ist-stickstoff-besser-als-druc.html

They say it only really makes any sense for high pressure tyres or when there is a danger of fire.

Nitrogen in Tyres - madf

Hier, z.B.

http://www.berlin.de/special/auto-und-motor/werkstatt-inspektion/2119183-2215627-reifengas-ist-stickstoff-besser-als-druc.html

They say it only really makes any sense for high pressure tyres or when there is a danger of fire.

NO NO NO... you are all wrong.

It keeps my tyres in far better condition, they last longer through no oxidation and they run cooler.

the fact that I have to pump them up very two months so loosing all the ebenfits and replace them after three years is utterly irrelevant.

I FEEL I have done the right thing by spending money.. so I have..

:-)

Hier, z.B.

NO NO NO... you are all wrong.

It keeps my tyres in far better condition, they last longer through no oxidation and they run cooler.

the fact that I have to pump them up very two months so loosing all the ebenfits and replace them after three years is utterly irrelevant.

I FEEL I have done the right thing by spending money.. so I have..

That'll be in German, then, so its not possible for me to look at the details of method, which might explain the rather different conclusions. The paper I CAN read is fairly convincing.

ebenefits = economic benefits, or something dot.com related?

Assuming the former, sure, if you wear out your tyres long before the advisory scrap-by-date (whatever that is and however questionable) then there's no economic benefit at all. I don't, though, so it might be of some benefit to me, especially as, (here in Taiwan), it needn't cost me anything.

If it did cost me (as in the UK?) I probably wouldn't bother, but I might consider DIY-ing an alternative.

CO2 is not quite as inert but its good enough for welding, and shouldn't be too hard to acquire or generate on a DIY basis. Score some MIG shielding gas? Bit of yeast and sugar?

Butane might work. Bit of an explosion hazard, of course, especially if you didn't purge all the air, but it doesn't seem to have bothered the the makers of tyre sealant aerosols, who apparently use(d) BUTANE as a propellant, and then told/tell the punter to get the tyre repaired and inflated with AIR!

Didn't that get flagged at the first product development meeting? Had they been sniffing their own product?

http://www.ehow.com/how_7666572_fix-flat-tire-butane.html

http://www.tiredefects.com/fix-a-flat/aerosol-tire-inflators.cfm

Air works superbly and its free at most garages.

AIr apparently degrades tyres.

N apparently doesn't, and it is also free (here).

I don't find that a very difficult choice.

Nitrogen in Tyres - skidpan

Well I have been using air in my tyres since 1974 and will continue to use it.

Even if pure nitrogen was significantly better than air you are only putting it inside the tyre, the outside still has to cope with good old fashioned fresh air.

I rarely have to top up my tyre pressures thus the much talked about loss of oxygen through the rubber is not significant enough to affect me in the real world.

Sunlight and ozone are the proven factors that degrade rubber but since most tyres are worn out before that becomes an issue after 6 years old I don't think it a topic worth discussing.

If nitrogen were really beneficial and became popular it would no longer be free. Garages charge for air on their forcourts.

Nitrogen in Tyres - madf

Even if pure nitrogen was significantly better than air you are only putting it inside the tyre, the outside still has to cope with good old fashioned fresh air.

I rarely have to top up my tyre pressures thus the much talked about loss of oxygen through the rubber is not significant enough to affect me in the real world.

Sunlight and ozone are the proven factors that degrade rubber but since most tyres are worn out before that becomes an issue after 6 years old I don't think it a topic worth discussing.

If nitrogen were really beneficial and became popular it would no longer be free. Garages charge for air on their forcourts.

The biggest danger to tyres after sunlight is car drivers.. Kerbing in particular.

Use of nitrogen is just hot air..

And driving since 1974? Whippersnapper!

(I struggle to take this subject seriously)

Edited by madf on 12/03/2013 at 09:50

The biggest danger to tyres after sunlight is car drivers.. Kerbing in particular.

I'd say running underinflated in particular. 66% with 1 or more tyres 30% under in this 2001 US survey. I'd guess you could get similar numbers in other countries.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/Cars/rules/rulings/TirePresFinal/FEA/TPMS3.html

That tends to undermine any "built-in" maximum age based on age-at- failure statistics, since a lot of the tyres will have been abused during thier service life .

Nitrogen in Tyres - Andrew-T

As an (ex-)professional scientist, I have enjoyed this thread, with all the contributions from some masquerading as scientists. Skidpan has it pretty well right: inflating with nitrogen will be marginally better than air because (a) it will be dry and (b) the tyre interior cannot oxidise - though in the dark this will hardly happen anyway. I suppose alloy surfaces may benefit as well.

Claims about different molecular sizes or thermal expansion are nonsense, or at best insignificant. The pressure of any gas in a relatively inflexible container depends almost entirely on the absolute temperature - as long as it stays a gas, which air and nitrogen will do, even in Alaska.

As an (ex-)professional scientist, I have enjoyed this thread, with all the contributions from some masquerading as scientists.

As another (ex) professional scientist, I know that words (especially lots of scientific words) don't work with most people.

Lots of confidently expressed opinions here, hardly any evidence. Opinions are so much easier.

Here's some pictures.

(Animation of internal oxidative tyre failure. Scroll down to the middle of all those words. Its a bit slow, but then so's internal oxidative tyre failure.)

http://www.safetyresearch.net/safety-issues/tires/

Edited by edlithgow on 13/03/2013 at 14:44

Nitrogen in Tyres - thunderbird

As an (ex-)professional scientist, I have enjoyed this thread, with all the contributions from some masquerading as scientists.

As another (ex) professional scientist, I know that words (especially lots of scientific words) don't work with most people.

Lots of confidently expressed opinions here, hardly any evidence. Opinions are so much easier.

Here's some pictures.

(Animation of internal oxidative tyre failure. Scroll down to the middle of all those words. Its a bit slow, but then so's internal oxidative tyre failure.)

Must be true if there are pictures and an animation.

Here's some pictures.

Must be true if there are pictures and an animation.

There you go. (I love it when a plan comes together).

I see why this is of little interest to you, and, I'd have thought, probably of little interest to the majority of drivers.

But here's the thing: Not everything is about you, (or even about the majority of drivers).

There are people who don't wear out thier tyres. They might keep a classic as a pet, or tow a trailer, horsebox or caravan occaisionally. They might have an off-roader or camper as a second vehicle, or they might just not drive very much, and/or drive fairly sedately when they do. Like me.

These people may be interested in stretching the life of thier tyres, and (despite the forcefully expressed opinions to the contrary) the evidence available to me suggests that an inert gas fill, perhaps in combination with an exterior UV/ozone protective coating, may allow them to do so.

Accordingly, I don't personally find your lack of interest very interesting. You are of course free to find my lack of interest in your lack of interest uninteresting, but if you post your lack of interest on every topic you are uninterested in, you'll either need to have very wide interests, or you're going to be very busy posting.

I see why this is of little interest to you, and, I'd have thought, probably of little interest to the majority of drivers.

But here's the thing: Not everything is about you, (or even about the majority of drivers).

There are people who don't wear out thier tyres. They might keep a classic as a pet, or tow a trailer, horsebox or caravan occaisionally. They might have an off-roader or camper as a second vehicle, or they might just not drive very much, and/or drive fairly sedately when they do. Like me.

These people may be interested in stretching the life of thier tyres, and (despite the forcefully expressed opinions to the contrary) the evidence available to me suggests that an inert gas fill, perhaps in combination with an exterior UV/ozone protective coating, may allow them to do so.

Accordingly, I don't personally find your lack of interest very interesting. You are of course free to find my lack of interest in your lack of interest uninteresting, but if you post your lack of interest on every topic you are uninterested in, you'll either need to have very wide interests, or you're going to be very busy posting.

Well I appear to have hit a nerve here, think our friend from Taiwan or wherever must have the world monopoly in nitrogen.

For your info I own a classic which does about 2000 miles a year. I take the tyres very seriously since those 4 small patches of rubber are all that keep me on the road and alive. Putting nitrogen inside when they are surrounded with air containing impurities and moisture is pointless, painting unproven home made treatments onto them is just asking for trouble and is stupid. I do not even bother painting any of the special wonderful snake oil products on the market onto them, they are just a waste of money.

What I do is what every responsible car owner should do, When I buy tyres I ensure they are of recent manufacture and not old stock then I replace them after 6 years even though they will be only about 1/2 worn.

I then check the pressures regularly and check for nails, cuts etc, just like you should on any tyre.

The cost of a set of tyres is peanuts in comparison to the other costs involved with running a car, if you resent paying money to keep your car safe you should not be on the road, you are a potential danger.

The cost of a set of tyres is peanuts in comparison to the other costs involved with running a car .

Really? With some of the flashier models it can approach a grand. You must spend rather a lot if you only do 2000 miles a year?

The cost of a set of tyres is peanuts in comparison to the other costs involved with running a car .

Really? With some of the flashier models it can approach a grand. You must spend rather a lot if you only do 2000 miles a year?

Insurance £200

RFL £120 (6 months)

MOT £50

Fuel £400

Service (materials only) £50

Total £820 (plus any repair costs)

A set of tyres costs approx £300 thus over 6 years that is £50 a year. £50 is 6% of my other annual costs.

As I said, its peanuts.

On my road car a set of tyres lasts approx 30,000 miles if I rotate them front to back.

Over a year I spend the following

Insurance £250

RFL £30

MOT £50

Fuel £950

Service £150

Total £1430 (plus anyrepair costs)

A set of tyres is approx £600 which over 4 years is £150 a year,

Thus my tyres cost about 10.5% of my other fixed costs which is still very reasonable in my opinion.

Tyres look expensive when you buy a set but as a percentage they are small part of your motoring costs. Considering that they are your only contact with the road and have a very hard life personally I think they are cheap.

So from your viewpoint the nitrogen question is irrelevant, as you will replace your tyres long before they are worn out, at 2000 miles a year, or even 4000 ?

I am also conscious of the well-worn adage that tyres are one's only contact with the road, but I use my judgment (and my MoT tester's) to decide when to replace. On topic, using nitrogen is a foible.

So from your viewpoint the nitrogen question is irrelevant, as you will replace your tyres long before they are worn out, at 2000 miles a year, or even 4000 ?

I am also conscious of the well-worn adage that tyres are one's only contact with the road, but I use my judgment (and my MoT tester's) to decide when to replace. On topic, using nitrogen is a foible.

Nitrogen is irrelevant in tyres regardless of the mileage.

I too use my judgement on when to replace and that is based on not only my own eyes but the advice from the manufacturers.

Its not just cracking that needs to be considered. As rubber ages it gets harder and grip deterioates. When I am out on the road I want a car that performs as safely as it can, on old hard rubber your safety is compromised.

Even on my daily driver I never let the tread war down to the 1.6mm legal limit.

Sadly, the well-worn adage that tyres are the only contact with the road doesn't strictly apply in my case, since my cars tend to spend quite a lot of time supported by axle stands. They don't wear out either, though they oxidise a bit.

In contrast, the other well-worn adage, (worn treadbare in this thread) that nitrogen is irrelevant/a trap for the gullible, etc, is (apart from a reference in German) without visible means of support.

As I said before, the evidence seems to support internal oxidation as an important age-related tyre failure mechanism. Much of it comes from reports produced by, with or for the (US) National Highway Traffic Safety Agency.

[Search for “What NHTSA Applied Research Has Learned From Industry About Tire Aging” (MacIsaaac, 2003) if interested. Its a pdf of a powerpoint, and so may be more digestible than a research paper. I can't get to the URL]

Although they are a non-commercial organisation, I don't necessarily take them as an unimpeachable source. Their initial interest arose from the Ford Explorer/Firestone tyre failure episode, which may not be typical, and in which they were alleged to have been “asleep at the wheel”. As govt. bodies are wont to do, they lobby for more regulation (of tyre service life, for example). This might color their view of the evidence. They also seem to be more closely allied with motor manufacturers (in particular Ford) than with tyre manufacturers. This is natural, since tyre manufacturers have been hostile to service life regulation. OTOH, Fords fraught history with Firestone suggests they are anything but a disinterested party.

These caveats aside, this is the best evidence I've seen. If internal oxidation is a (or according to the NHTSA, the) main cause of tyre age-related failure, its intuitively likely that measures to prevent it will reduce the effect of tyre ageing. I've quoted research that supports this for nitrogen filling and for butyl rubber linings.

The other locally well-worn adage, that the outside of the tyre is in any case exposed to atmospheric oxygen, is true, but does not conflict with internal oxidation as a (or the) main failure mechanism.

This air is only at atmospheric pressure, and in operation the outside of the tyre stays cooler than the inside, so oxidation is slower. Since I generally run tyres at higher pressures than recommended by the car manufacturer, the pressure differential may be especially important in my case.

Inert gas filling may be a foible. At worst, it seems to be a harmless foible, and the available evidence suggests it may do some good.

I'm preconditioned to go with the evidence and discount unsupported opinion. If anyone is aware of contrary evidence (in English), I'd be interested in seeing it.

"Since I generally run tyres at higher pressures than recommended by the car manufacturer, the pressure differential may be especially important in my case."

So you know better than the manufacturers makes your other arguments a bit weak.

"Since I generally run tyres at higher pressures than recommended by the car manufacturer, the pressure differential may be especially important in my case."

So you know better than the manufacturers makes your other arguments a bit weak.

Nope. Its a simple fact.

It has no impact on the validity of my other arguments. Nor does your comment.

I think I'll give my case a rest at that, if that's the best y'all can do,

You can flog a dead horse underwater, but you can't make it think.

Edited by edlithgow on 20/03/2013 at 14:31

I think I'll give my case a rest at that.

Wow, another sensible comment.

You could probably cut :"Well, it’s certainly true that I’m a “potential danger”. No argument there." out of context too, perhaps adding something clever like "Wow, yet another sensible comment".

(If you don't think it makes you look a bit of a prat, that is.)

Feel free.

Inert gas filling may be a foible. At worst, it seems to be a harmless foible,

Only sensible comment he has ever posted.

Skidpan wrote if you resent paying money to keep your car safe you should not be on the road, you are a potential danger.

Well, it’s certainly true that I’m a “potential danger”. No argument there.

Re “you should not be on the road”, I’m not actually on the road very much, which statistically should go a long way towards addressing your safety concerns. You seem to aspire to a more absolute standard of safety, though.

Unfortunately, you can’t have it. Counsels of perfection make for easy debating points, and, consistently implemented, will make your car as safe as is practical, but, however high the rental on your moral high ground, absolute safety, and the absolute moral superiority that could go with it, is only available if you don’t drive. All cars are unsafe.

You forgot to add “In my opinion” above. Given the massively opinionated nature of this thread, perhaps it goes without saying.

Fortunately for me, I’m not constrained by your opinion. Within the law (as represented in the UK by the MOT inspection) I have freedom to choose whether to observe the arbitary and self-serving 6-year service limit suggested by Ford, or the similarly arbitary 10 year limit grudgingly endorsed by Bridgestone, who made my tyres.

In choosing the latter its probably true that I’m accepting a degree of avoidable risk to myself and others. I also accept such avoidable risks by driving at all, and by driving an old car without, for example, ABS, airbags, exhaust catalyst, or current collision survival standards.

Since I understand you drive a classic, presumably you choose to accept these avoidable risks as well.

I might choose differently if I drove more, or closer to the edge. As it is, I did under 500 slow miles last year, and it’ll likely be less this year. If you did 2000 miles in your classic, this would imply that my car would have to be over four times as dangerous before I’m accepting a bigger risk than you, our Reference Standard for Responsible Motoring.

If we combine the mileage on your classic and daily driver to get close the the UK average of 10.000 miles, my car has to be over 20 times more dangerous before I’m being less responsible than you, the Mother of all Moral Motorists

(Nothing like misquoting Saddam Hussein for winning hearts and minds)

I dunno. Perhaps it is. But I seem to have a bit of a moral margin to play with.

Edited by edlithgow on 22/03/2013 at 02:44

Nitrogen in Tyres - bathtub tom

Most, really? I can't recall when I last saw free air.

Free here in Germany at every petrol station if you are so concerned about the cost you could always get a foot pump.Seeing the tyre has over 50% open to impure air putting nitrogen inside is a complete waste of money,thought up by tyre centres to relieve gullable people of a little more money.

Edited by Collos25 on 12/03/2013 at 10:54

Nitrogen in Tyres - 1litregolfeater

c*** b***** s***

!!!