Mouse in the garage - deterrent devices sought - steve
A mouse built a small nest under the bonnet of a car that I do not use everyday and has caused some minor damage by eating some wiring. I would like to make sure they do not come back - has anyone got experience of the high frequency sound devices that plug into the mains? Do they work?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 21/01/2008 at 12:29

Mouse in the garage - Collos25
In Germany we are plauged with martens and I use a similar device on the trabant I store as they love the taste of cable covering it seems to work.
Mouse in the garage - Saltrampen
They do in a shed, but not sure if they interfere with Car's security systems. They probably will drive all other animals and small children mad as well.
Humane traps or poison are other possible options.
If your mouse is like the one that destroyed the electrics on my mower - deal with it quickly before it gets into the rest of the wiring.
My mouse got a free trip to a new home a good distance away.
Mouse in the garage - umistim
Dont be squeamish.

Old fashioned mouse traps baited with peanuts, unbeatable.
Mouse in the garage - Nsar
Peanut butter does make good bait as does chocolate
Mouse in the garage - Altea Ego
But not cheese. Mice dont like cheese despite what they say on Tom and Gerry.
Mouse in the garage - nick
I'd go with Nsar. Peanut butter never fails.
Mouse in the garage - legacylad
Living in a rural area I am plagued with field mice.I use both the ultra sonic variety (which works well) and plastic self set traps as back up, which are easier to 'empty' than the old style wooden Little Nippers. For bait I use jaffa cakes or choc digestives.
After 20 + years working in the retail pet industry I think that the humane 'trip traps' are only ok for escaped hamsters and gerbils...unless you are squeamish!
Mouse in the garage - Stuartli
What about introducing a moggy?
Mouse in the garage - MVP
We have always had a few mice pop-in during the winter , but last autumn I bought a JML pest shield. To date we haven't had any "visits" in the house or garage (poison is still untouched in the garage)

Have tried the plug-in sonic type - waste of time IMHO.

MVP
Mouse in the garage - Lud
It is an old wives' tale that mice don't like cheese. They prefer it when the cheese is lightly toasted over a gas flame. Of course they may well like chocolate and peanut butter even more. But cheese will get them.

I can also recommend getting a cat, if you can stand the creature's incessant hustling for food. We found a cat once sitting looking at a completely unmarked dead mouse in the middle of our kitchen floor. It was quite clear, following a careful forensic investigation, that the mouse - an elderly or fragile creature evidently - had died of a heart attack at the very sight of the cat.
Mouse in the garage - Big Bad Dave
"had died of a heart attack at the very sight of the cat"

I bet it was playing dead. I remember watching our cat many years ago as it flipped a dead mouse in the air and dived after it time and time again. After thirty minutes or so of this, the cat eventually grew bored, I went to dispose of the mouse and it jumped up and scurried off as healthy as you like.
Mouse in the garage - steve
Please can you tell me what a JML pest shield is - thanks
Mouse in the garage - ajit
Try tying a small cloth bag containing strong pungent tobacco in the area where the mice hang out or the vulnerable electrics area
Mouse in the garage - madf
We live with fields on 2 sides and field mice invade the house each winter. Old fashioned mouse traps in a corner where they run (not out in the open,, mice like privacy) and baited with a section of bread with the crust pierced by the upright .. making it less easy for the mouse to steal the bread.
I caught 9 mice in our greenhouse last year with that.. until I found and blocked up the hole.

Unfortunately slugs like chocolate biscuit and also get squashed by mouse traps.. (well the giant -4 cms long ones with red underneath do... ) so watch out.

An underfed cat sounds like a good investment.

Edited by madf on 21/01/2008 at 16:47

Mouse in the garage - MVP
Steve

The pest shield is a small box that plugs into a normal electrical socket, and uses the house's wiring to send some high frequencies that mice etc don't like.

Bought mine from Robert Dyas, £20 if I remember correctly

MVP
Mouse in the garage - Bromptonaut
The JML pest shield is promoted incessantly via a DVD/TV combo in WH Smith by my office. With a bit of effort I could recount the add verbatim!!

Also deals with cockroaches, but as it affects the central nervous system don't use it near hamsters, Guinea pigs etc.

Makes a change from the dryer balls in the previous promotion.
Mouse in the garage - buzbee
My guess is it is just another sonic device. I can't think what else it would be. But, if not, I too am interested what the 20 pound buys. I have a cheaper one I switch on and off continuously via a 24 hour (repeat) timer. The timer is one you push keys down for the 'on-time' you require. I have set it with one key down in each five keys. The idea was that it might be better than being on continuously. It has worked for me. No mice in the shed in the last two years.

The sonic designs do vary. Some claim to vary the frequency of the ultrasonic sound. I do not know the make of mine. Edit: Slow writing has pushed this post one slot down.

Edited by buzbee on 21/01/2008 at 17:04

Mouse in the garage - jc2
Fatty bacon works on the trap as well.
Mouse in the garage - isisalar
Been plagued by mice for some time and in my experience the most effective remedy is the plastic 'tunnels' I think by rentokill (bought in homebase) which claim to kill immediately the're pre baited with some sort of green gell and work very well.Watch out for the pong after about a week though.