1974 1275cc. Midget - Hard brake pedal - Ford Dagenham
Hello.

I have a 1974 midget 1275 in my garage that I have not driven for 7 years.

It has just been left and not started.

Yesterday I replaced the battery and put some fuel into the empty fuel tank and it fired up straight away after it chugged for a bit.

The brake pedal is as hard as a rock.

What kind of work will be required to get the brakes working again for an mot.

All help appreciated.

--
(iam not a mechanic)
Martin Winters

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 16/01/2008 at 21:16

MG Midget Hard brake pedal - Screwloose

Either a lot of working the caliper pistons in and out with lashings of WD40 and a G-clamp; or a pair of re-con caliper; two wheel cylinders and frictions as needed.
MG Midget Hard brake pedal.1275 engine 1974 year - Ford Dagenham
Hello Screw loose.

Many thanks for the speedy reply.

Would it cost much for a garage to do that work it will need to be towed because of the brakes. The handbrake operates because I left that off.

It was restored prior to it being taken off the road.

Iam not mechanically minded enough to trust myself on brakes.

It will need a major service etc.

Again many thanks

--
(iam not a mechanic)
Martin Winters

Edited by Ford Dagenham on 16/01/2008 at 17:19

MG Midget Hard brake pedal.1275 engine 1974 year - Screwloose

The cost would depend on exactly what work turned out to be required and whether they would want to do anything but replace everything in sight.

Finding yourself a grizzled, old-fashioned, mechanic is the most important bit; or things will get badly out of hand.

It will need to be trailered to the garage, as rope towing without brakes is.... somewhat risky - and the brakes will likely overheat if you use a bar.

Also; you need tax, MOT and insurance to be towed with any wheel in contact with the road.
MG Midget Hard brake pedal.1275 engine 1974 year - Ford Dagenham
Hello

Thankyou for the useful post Screwloose.

A friend and I managed to get the front brakes free by using copious amounts of wd40 and a rubber hammer.

I now need to know what i need to do to wake the car up from its sleep.

I had the car bare metal rebuilt and re sprayed and all the mechanicals overhauled. So it should not need much to get it mot safe.

All help appreciated.

--
(iam not a mechanic)
Martin Winters

Edited by Ford Dagenham on 21/01/2008 at 12:39

MG Midget Hard brake pedal.1275 engine 1974 year - piston power
As said it needs a trailer to the garage or a mobile mechanic, working the calipers is a good start but the rest of the braking system can fail when driving it would be a damn shame to pile into a wall!
At the very most maybe a master cylinder,shoes,wheel cllinders,pads/discs,h/brake cable's, but untill it is checked over by a competent person your pink fluffy dice in the wind.
Im not having a go at you but the brakes are the most important part of any car. good luck..

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 21/01/2008 at 13:52