Best way to sell a 'cherished reg'?? - schneip
Hi there, I was wondering if anyone could give me a spot of advice please. A couple of years ago I bought a private reg that I'm unlikely to use again. I had the sense to put it on retention and have been renewing it since.

I've had a quote off an online company (not sure if I'm allowed to mention the name on here or not) offering to advertise it - they've valued it at £1,200. I'm a bit concerned as they don't say what percentage they'd take or what the charge would be if someone bought it. I'll have to chase it up, but it bothers me it's not stipulated clearly on an agreement slip that came through by email if I choose to go ahead. I've previously advertised the plate on ebay without success and also advertised it at work before now.

The other cause for concern is that if I'm advertising this nationally, how do I make sure I don't sign over my rights to the reg no before I receive payment?

Does anyone have any experience with these reg. no. companies (good or bad) or can anyone point me in a good direction, please?

specifics deleted to avoid any potential cloning problems.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 30/12/2007 at 22:12

Best way to sell a 'cherished reg'?? - bell boy
a friend sold a plate via one of these sites a few years ago and was very happy with the cheque
here are my thoughts
i would want a bono fido address with a landline number
i would want in writing all charges that may be made
i would want a clause of so long to sell before you can jump ship
i would grow a beard waiting for a buyer

plates are like buses you wait 5 years to find the plate you want then 5 appear that will do the job

not an investement opportunity portfolio in my opinion

good luck in your quest(buy a thompson mouseman fire fender in a popular size next time as these do go up in value and are still wanted by the many)

a very happy new year also :-)
Best way to sell a 'cherished reg'?? - mss1tw
Tried advertising it here?

If it's one of those ghastly X5 ***/M3 ***/S40 ***/V40 (You see where I'm going with this) plates, then you could try owners forums for that manufacturer)
Tried advertising it here?

:) I thought about that but I gave the details of the reg in my original post but it was removed ("specifics deleted to avoid any potential cloning problems.")... I don't have a problem with it being removed but then maybe it's not wise to advertise it for that reason? But then, the likes of online companies manage to do this ok?
If it's one of those ghastly X5 ***/M3 ***/S40 ***/V40 (You see where I'm going
with this) plates then you could try owners forums for that manufacturer)

*blush* well, it's a general BMW plate - I figured if I avoided going for my own initials then it would be easier to sell on in a few years time if I wanted to :)
a friend sold a plate via one of these sites a few years ago and
was very happy with the cheque
i would want a bono fido address with a landline number
i would want in writing all charges that may be made
i would want a clause of so long to sell before you can jump ship
i would grow a beard waiting for a buyer

hmmm I've got to admit I'm tempted by your friends experience but as you say, I'd better make sure I'm up on the info you recommend. Would also grow a beard but the boss might not like it ;)
plates are like buses you wait 5 years to find the plate you want then
5 appear that will do the job
not an investement opportunity portfolio in my opinion

I'm not quite sure why I bought it - I think I was younger, had more hair and a brand new MINI Cooper in blue and white, so thought I'd stick a BMW plate on it (well... the idea was to get a 3 series in a few years... then I bought another plate I'm not planning on selling for that(!))

Happy New Year! :)

Best way to sell a 'cherished reg'?? - henry k
I sold my plate about three years ago via one of the big no plate companies.
I had a choice , either they sold it on commission or they bought it from me.
They sent extensive paperwork and conditions including a legal disclaimer for me to sign.
I sold it to them and it disappeared off their advert after about six weeks.
Absolutely no problem dealing with them.

Anther company replied online and said they were not interested. ( their choice which I knew was wrong).

Do several online searches for similar no plates to try and value it.
and of course the DVLA prices of sold plates.