Dangerous Driving. - bhoy wonder
On Christmas day of all days. Good will to all men and all that.
M8 Glasgow going east bound just by the Glasgow royal cut off. Witnessed the most dangerous/stupid driving I have ever seen in my 20 odd years of driving. A white taxi and a blue ford focus are in the outside lane. From what I seen the taxi was not pulling in quick enough for the focus. So when the taxi driver pulled into the middle lane the other driver decided to pull up beside the taxi and give the 1 or it may have been the 2 fingered salute. The next thing the two of them have there windows down and start shouting at each other. In the process the two of them have slowed down to 30 to 40 mph and forcing myself and other drivers to brake sharply. As I felt that this was an extremely dangerous situation and I did not want to be involved in any pile up due to these idiots. I indicated over to the inside lane and accelerated by them (still shouting at each other). At least another half a dozen cars had to do the same manoeuvre.

If this had been any other day I am sure there would have been a pile up. No doubt these two idiots would have carried on there journey unaware of the carnage that they may have left behind them.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 27/12/2007 at 01:08

Dangerous Driving. - Harleyman
All we can hope for these days is that the altercation wasa caught on CCTV and the offenders suitably jumped on.

Not that I condone the cabbie's actions but it looks like he was provoked.
Dangerous Driving. - Westpig
sounds to me like they were both as bad as each other

taxi driver for dithering and not using his mirror properly, Focus driver for bothering to slow, open window and be rude

why not just pull in a tad quicker than is polite and throw all the wet road muck all over the taxis windscreen...... and then do a 'wave'........:-)
Dangerous Driving. - FotheringtonThomas
Far better to drive correctly and not indulge in provocative behaviour.
Dangerous Driving. - drivewell
M8 Glasgow going east bound just by the Glasgow royal cut off.

And I'll bet the taxi was already doing 50mph - (50mph is the limit on that stretch of urban motorway - for the information of those who are fortunate enough not to have to use the M8 through Glasgow!)
Dangerous Driving. - Ruperts Trooper
Back in the '70s I was behind two cars doing the same in Maidenhead - they ended up taking sideswipes at each other, both cars ending quite badly damaged - I turned off leaving them to it.
Dangerous Driving. - BobbyG
Maybe the taxi driver was a stranger to the area and was relying on its sat nav.

At that particular area, between the Royal and Kingston Bridge, my Tom Tom gives all sorts of strange verbal instructions although the route shown on the screen is correct. It will tell you to bear left when it means stay on Motorway, it will say exit ahead when it means stay on Motorway.
Don't know if it is the sliproads joining and leaving from the outside lane that fools it but it sure as hell doesn't like it!
--
2007 Seat Altea XL 2.0 TDI (140) Stylance
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
Dangerous Driving. - Bromptonaut
At that particular area between the Royal and Kingston Bridge my Tom Tom gives all
sorts of strange verbal instructions although the route shown on the screen is correct.

Is that one of the elevated sections close to the City Centre? Parallel or overlapping routes will easily send SatNav skewiff - another reason to treat is a a guide not an Oracle.
Dangerous Driving. - LinuxGeek
I had somewhat similar unfortunate incident couple of weeks ago.
I was on my way to work one morning and I exited the roundabout from the middle lane, the lane markings clearly show that cars either from the left lane of the middle lane can exit. But an idiot from the right hand wanted to overtake me and exit the roundabout from the 3rd lane but he couldn't because I was in front of him so he had to slow down. The next thing I know is he's on my left hand side lane, window down and shouting at me. I just put the window down and said to him to go back and see the markings on the roundabout, wasn't in a mood to argue at 7am!
Dangerous Driving. - davmal
As bad as each other irrespective of who started it, but wouldn't you expect a professional driver to know better than to become involved?
Dangerous Driving. - Sofa Spud
I was on the A120 dual carriageway in Essex a few weeks ago, overtaking a line of slower vehicles in lane 1. There were other cars in the outside lane ahead of me. I notice in my mirror a purple van - Peugeot Partner or similar, approaching fast, flashing his lights, but still some way off. I was doing about 70 and I reckon the van must have been doing about 90. Anyway he came up really close behind me and kept flashing his lights. I was in no hurry to move over as I had slower moving vehicles on the inside and I stood my ground and only moved over when the inside land was clear. I must say I felt very angry with this van driver and felt uncomfortably close to road-rage myself. Anyway, once he'd passed me this moron just went up behind the next 'lane-hog' and tailgated them, flashing his lights.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 27/12/2007 at 22:14

Dangerous Driving. - Lud
I assume you nipped in behind him to take advantage of his intimidation of the mimsers who had been in your way Sofa Spud? That's what I did a couple of weeks ago on the A12. It worked very well.
SS .... he could easily be a moron and probably was....

or....he could have been:

- taking someone to hospital
- undercover surveillance cop trying to catch up with others further ahead
- coastguard on call out
- paramedic called in to work at short notice

or a host of other things

why not accelerate slightly and let him past, much easier, less stressful, better driving, etc
Dangerous Driving. - Phil I
>>
why not accelerate slightly and let him past, much easier, less stressful, better driving, etc

A voice of sanity - Not too many about nowadays

Happy and Safer Motoring Phil I
Dangerous Driving. - FP
This sparks one of my pet hates.

"...wouldn't you expect a professional driver to know better than to become involved?"

Indeed. Taxi-drivers are professional drivers, but as far as I know they are not required to gain any professional qualifications, apart from The Knowledge in London.

I was talking with a BP tanker-driver once and we were united in our scorn for the generally abysmal standard of driving displayed by taxi-drivers around here. My friend was no doubt partly motivated by professional contempt for people who, unlike him, had no special qualifications for the job, but I have to say that by and large if you meet a taxi there'll be little if any courtesy or consideration for other road users. Signalling, lane discipline - forget it. Taxis don't speed, but nor do they want to slow down for anything.

I know there are exceptions, but they are rare.

Rant over! Bet it upset a few people - sorry, folks!
who says a taxi driver is a 'professional'?

minicabs in some places are taxis in others.......to be a minicab all you need is a moving car