2003 Hdi estate - changing rear discs - Raysagem
I want to change the rear discs on my 406 HDi 110 S Estate (2003). I've heard that the handbrake is a different entity to the normal brakes. My question is: is it a straight forward job or can I expect surprises, ie. special tool required or anything else like that. Many Thanx and Merry Christmas

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 24/12/2007 at 16:26

2003 Hdi estate - changing rear discs - Robin the Technician
Hi,
I did the same job on my '02 406 estate. The handbrake is actually a drum system that uses the inside of the rear discs. When you've removed the calipers, remove the two retaining screws and remove the disc. If you have difficulty getting it off then you can insert a flat bladed screwdriver through the disc and in the two o'clock position (approx) you can adjust the drum brake for easier removal. I found it a piece of cake and required no special tools. just make sure the linings are in good order and working correctly. I believe they are automatic adjusting so you may not need to adjust them upon re-fitting (although I think i did adjust mine). The only thing I would suggest checking is that the calipers slide freely on their pins. Mine were partially siezed - aparently a common problem.
Anything else I can help with let me know.

--
These are the views of Robin the Technician with 35 years in the trade. I fix, therefore I am...