(95-99) 1.6 16v - cam belt/timing. - rob841
Hello
i have a Rover 400 1.6i 16v i am changing the head gasket, before taking the cam belt off i need to secure the two camshaft sprockets together so they dont move during the removal of the cyl/head, i did'nt have the correct tool so i used plastic ties this did the job so i thought until i removed the belt and the cyl/head, thats when the sprockets span round!!!! knocking the timeing out of sequence.

My Question is: when refitting the head is it just a case of aligning the lower camshaft sprocket timing to top dead centre (TDC) and then positioning the top two sprockets(exhaust and inlet) to there correct position before refitting the cyl/head + cambelt??????? please help!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 26/12/2007 at 12:33

1.6 16 valve cam belt/timing. - injection doc
Tricky one! If the cam sprockets spin its possible for the valves to clash & just a touch is enough to bend or weaken them ready to iether burn out or snap whilst running. Also the valve timing just to confuse the issue isn't set with the pistons at TDC. I would recommend you iether seek advice with someone near to you who has experience or do some reading . There is a tool to lock the sprockets or a piece of wood wedge betwwen the sprockets before removal may of sufficed. assuming that you will get the head skimmed ( waste of time otherwise) you will need to remove cams & extreme care or knoledge will be required when you reasembel as just putting the cams in & turning afterwards may do extreme damage. Don't forget X-part now make a modified head gasket along with some other manufactures & use new bolts & bleed system 100% before you start back up & fit an uprated expansion cap.
I would not want to be the one responsible for explaining how to time it up if it all goes wrong as you will only get one chance or it will be a disaster.
Doc
1.6 16 valve cam belt/timing. - rob841
Thanks doc, after reading your reply i realised i was out of my depth, i have now spent some time looking at 4 stroke tdc/videos and reading tuturials (back to basics) i now know what to do and how to do it! good tip about using a piece of hard wood to secure the sprockets i will use this on refitting! the head was skimmed about 2 years ago and looks fine as you know this is a common problem for this k-series engine due to the small chambers/area for the coolant to flow. i have the uprated gasket set and after measuring the bolts i have decided to re-use them
i will let you know What happens, i cant afford to renew anything as i am a skint member!!

thanks again for the message

have a great christmas!
1.6 16 valve cam belt/timing. - hm
mate,

IF you do as you say you should be okay....the twin cams timing marks will only line up when they are in the correct position.....

The SAFEST thing to do is line everything up....put her all back together, then manually turn the crank with a socket and check she keeps lining up......

Laters

H