1994 - Left hand front headlight is dim - jim234
Peugeot 306 1994 Mardi Gras 5 door

Folks,
The left hand front road lamp is dimmer than it should be.
The right hand front road lamp works just fine.
All other lamps on the car are working just fine.

So I went down to Halfords and got another : the bulb replaced is a GE H4 12V 55/60W 50440U E1 2D7 HUNGARY C.

It was easy to fit but it did not fix the problem : I noticed as I took the bulb out that a lot of heat had built up around one of the contacts and that this had caused the plastic casing for the clip on contact joiner around that contact to be fried.

Looking from the back of the lamp the fried contact is on the bottom left as follows :
_
| |

Anyone any ideas ?

( I fitted a towbar kit recently but their is no electrics connected to the towing electrics at the back of the car so it seems to me unlikely this has casued a short ).

Regards
Jim

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 17/12/2007 at 00:27

Left hand front road lamp is dim - Peter D
You are going to have to replace the cooked insert in the connecter if not the whole connector as the overheat will have softened the female spade and could still be the cause of the dim light. If it is very dim, like 1/2 light then, then I suspect it is the earth connection to the bulb that has overheated/melted and gone open cct. You may also note that the working side has in fact got the unlit element in the bulb glowing as this is the route the current takes if the earth has failed. Regards Peter
Left hand front road lamp is dim - FP
Sorry to be a bit... er... dim..., but what exactly is a "front road lamp"? My 306 has these lights/lamps at the front: direction indicators, sidelights (=parking lights), headlights and foglights - nothing else.

Yes - I'm anticipating the answer.
Left hand front road lamp is dim - ChicksFan
From Jim's graphical description of the connector it would appear to be the Headlamp.

{Altered to avoid future confusion - DD}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 17/12/2007 at 00:28