Workshop retribution? - Old Navy
Six months after complaining about poor quality work during a main dealer sevice I noticed my coolant bottle cap leaking. During rework (unrelated to cooling system) the cap was greased, slowly wrecking the rubber seals. Weekly fluid level checks probably saved a breakdown. Replaced FOC by the service manager but now definatly lost a customer.
Workshop retribution? - Chris S
Workshop retribution? Probably.

A UK-wide franchise (no pun) charged me for new brake shoes which they didn't fit. A month after they actually did so a brake cylinder failed.

On another occasion I let an MOT station do some welding on another car. I looked underneath to check how much underseal they'd put on and noticed a large patch of protective plastic coating had been melted off, presumably with a welding torch.

Find a garage you can trust and stick with them.
Workshop retribution? - Saltrampen
It may just be incompetence...they see the leaking cap before you do and grease with wrong type of grease.

If you are complaining then the chances are others are complaining. Garages only tend to get annoyed at "picky" complainents (there was a spot of oil on my bumper after the service etc, Why weren't my carpets fully shampooed in the £100 service?)..

If they wanted to create faults to bring more business, I think they good do better than the coolant header bottle cap. If it was retribution, it would be things like stilton in the air con unit etc (Mods - please delete if you think this is giving someone ideas). ie. Things that annoy but wouldn't end in a court case or a nasty accident.

From your side a letter to trading standards and perhaps a mention on a unmoderated blog type site

Workshop retribution? - oilrag
Old Navy,
You may have got the apprentice. Had trouble getting the cap off and greased it to make it easier next time. ;)