98 1.6 diagnostics warning / dodgy idling - worldwiser
Hi,
Can anyone give me an idea of what might be wrong..
The idle speed on my 1998 Peugeot 1.6LX EST is usually around 800rpm but occasionally gets stuck at anywhere between 1500 and 2500 (often when cold, but also when warmed up). Today it started going up and down wildly until it dropped so low the engine stopped. After getting it started again and driving a few miles, the 'diagnostics' lamp came on for 2 minutes and then went off, but now I've noticed that at between 40-70mph, the car is sluggish to accelerate and (forgive very untechnical term) starts chugging a bit.
I'm wondering whether these are classic symptoms of something.. and how much my bank balance will soon be dropping by!
Thanks for any pointers...
Cheers

slt

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 05/12/2007 at 21:49

98 1.6 diagnostics warning / dodgy idling - Screwloose
ww

Yes; they are the symptoms of something - and it not a nice something.

What make is the engine management ECU on your car? [Choice of 3; hopefully not Marelli 1AW]

Just confirm that it has the long coilpack without HT leads and that it's made by Sagem.

What make of sparkplugs are fitted?

Have you any means of getting the fault codes read?
you're suspecting the management system is dodgy? och no..
where abouts do I check the make? I at least know where the sparks are.. I used to drive wonderful classics which didn't have the need for silly things like management systems..

I guess I'd have to go to a Peugeot garage to check the fault codes.. but I'm warely of those shisters since the last time they billed me for unnecessary as well as non-existent work.
ww

No need to go to the dealers; every little garage has access to a scanner now. If it also does live ECU data; ask them to check the ignition advance stability.

Come back with the answers to those other questions ASAP.
Hi.. my experience has been that everyone charges for diagnostics :-( Peugeot garage (the worst of all) wanted £117.50 which I think is thoroughly absurd. But, I've just been into Kwik Fit today for some new brake pads and they suggested cleaning the ignition components for me. 10 minutes later.. no more dodgy idling! Still a bit confused that the diagnostics lamp came on just for a bit of dirt though...

"Cleaning the ignition components?" That's a good trick. I cannot even think of what they could clean. Coilpack with extensions and plugs - that's about the limit of the whole ignition system.

Unless the plugs were loose, then there was nothing to get dirty - did they maybe change the plugs? Or remove the crank sensor? Did they read and clear the codes?