Motorists who tint windows 'may pick up fines' - colinh
Regarding the above news item, there is no mention of sunglasses. These will provide a significant reduction in vision; even so-called prescription lens are just the normal spectacles with a tint added - optician don't normally retest the eyes with the tinted glass. Whilst there may be some benefits from wearing them - is there any legislation governing them?

www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/item.htm?id=4113

Link to the news item included - remember that there are other areas on this site apart from the BR - hard sometimes I know !

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 05/12/2007 at 20:23

Motorists who tint windows 'may pick up fines' - Lud
I wear separate spectacles for reading and seeing across the room or further. My distance glasses have a coating that goes darker in bright light, giving the curious impression that one has turned from Harry Potter into Leon Trotsky (with darkened lenses the specs look several sizes smaller, an interesting optical effect).

I was worried that the specs might go black on me at night if someone coming the other way didn't dip, but it doesn't seem to happen. Headlights only look bright by contrast with the surrounding darkness. Compared to the sun they are completely insignificant.
Motorists who tint windows 'may pick up fines' - Armitage Shanks {p}
colinh - where is the 'above news item'? Lud I think your shades are only activated bu UV rays, which aren't found in car headlights - even Xenons - I think.
Motorists who tint windows 'may pick up fines' - bathtub tom
I was told that glass will absorb the UV that activates these lenses, thereby making them inactive behind a windscreen.
Motorists who tint windows 'may pick up fines' - henry k
I was told that glass will absorb the UV that activates these lenses thereby making
them inactive behind a windscreen.

>>
I will tell you that is a total load of xxxxxs.
I know because I found out the hard way.
With my new specs on I was in New Zealand approaching the famous Homer tunnel ( at altitude ) in bright sunlight. I entered the, then unlit tunnel, and had to hit the brakes
cos I was almost blind due to dark glasses.

The Homer tunnel is at an altitude of 945-1270 metres ( 1in 10 gradient) and is reported to be 1.27k or 4118 feet or 60 chains long.

And drives like this (cut n paste and then turn the sound off)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_Q_ILXG7WM
You can experience my view on entering the tunnel.
Also
The climb up to the Homer Tunnel and down the Cleddau Valley Switch Backs on a K1200Rs Motorcycle ( after the loghts were installed). 7 mins long.
//video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2747877384799878223

Users should be warned what the risk is in wearing such glasses.
With daily use the darkening stops working in a just a few years. I have not seen this mentioned. My lenses were not cheap - varifocals by Zeiss.

>>Its all very well saying the driver can take off sun glasses. What if they are prescription sunglasses, and one doesn't have a clear pair readily available?
Exactly what I experienced.

>>There are two simple options 1) get a second pair of prescription glasses that aren't tinted (like SWMBO)
I had a second pair with me but I needed hands on the wheel and hoped that as I braked I was not rear ended.
Motorists who tint windows 'may pick up fines' - daveyjp
From you post it seems you were wearing prescription sunglasses:

"What if they are prescription sunglasses, and one doesn't have a clear pair readily available?
Exactly what I experienced. "

Not the same as wearing 'reactolite' type glasses which do not work behind glass as the silver halides which cause them to darken are activated by UV light.

These lenses are also pretty useless in warm sunny climates as the action to lighten the lenses is heat sensitive - the warmer it is the harder it is for them to darken. They work best on sunny cold winter days, but be warned if you go into a cold room they will take a while to clear.
Motorists who tint windows 'may pick up fines' - colinh
--------->

I wasn't commenting on "activated" lens, but on normal sunglasses. If somebody's vision is OK without glasses, using sunglasses could reduce the standard of vision below acceptable levels. Likewise, somebody who wears glasses normally, could have reduced vision if they wear sunglasses or clip-ons, as the effect will be the same as a tinted windscreen.
Motorists who tint windows 'may pick up fines' - nortones2
Imagine what its like wearing sunglasses in a tinted vehicle!
Motorists who tint windows 'may pick up fines' - Pugugly {P}
.....at night, some people drive as if they do.
Motorists who tint windows 'may pick up fines' - bathtub tom
uhh! Who said that? Is there someone else here?
Motorists who tint windows 'may pick up fines' - Alby Back
My car has an auto-dipping rearview mirror which in effect "tints" the mirror green when activated by bright following headlights. One of those features you never think you would need or want until you have had it. Just a brilliant idea (IMO) should be standard fit.
Now you are winding me up :-(
Motorists who tint windows 'may pick up fines' - Alby Back
Moi ?
Vous.....

One of my stated "most missed gadgets" since I "down shifted"
Motorists who tint windows 'may pick up fines' - Manatee
I don't think the problem with tinted windows arises in daylight but at night. You can take sunglasses off but you can't untint windows. I find I have to use sunglasses in daylight, sunny or not - they are 15% grey so cut out 85% of light but there's plenty left. At night on the other hand I can see absolutely nothing through them.
Motorists who tint windows 'may pick up fines' - Waino
Sun glasses aren't normally a problem because, believe it or not, drivers can take them off when they find that they hinder vision whilst driving at night. Have you ever seen anyone remove the windscreen/windows of their car and change them for clearer ones when the sun goes down? Rather inconvenient?

Many years ago now, I thought I looked soooo cool on my old Triumph motorbike with my ultra-tinted visor. Then I tried to ride home with it after dark. I couldn't see a thing and had to remove it and put up with moths in my eyes. Not pleasant.
Motorists who tint windows 'may pick up fines' - Manatee
I've got deja vu again. And I had a tinted visor as well, with the same problem.
Motorists who tint windows 'may pick up fines' - AlastairW
Its all very well saying the driver can take off sun glasses. What if they are prescription sunglasses, and one doesn't have a clear pair readily available?
Motorists who tint windows 'may pick up fines' - nortones2
Walk?
Motorists who tint windows 'may pick up fines' - Waino
Its all very well saying the driver can take off sun glasses. What if they are prescription sunglasses and one doesn't have a clear pair readily available?>>

This ought to be fairly simple, but I'll explain. There are two simple options 1) get a second pair of prescription glasses that aren't tinted (like SWMBO) or 2) do as I do and get a pair of clip-on tinted lenses for your glasses and keep 'em in the car. If you can't afford either of these two options, then run a cheaper car (or walk/take a bus etc).

It's the nanny state that leads to questions like this!!! Give me strength!!!
Motorists who tint windows 'may pick up fines' - gmac
Tinted windows should be banned and replaced with blinds for use in daylight only.

Tinted visors have stamped on them for daylight use only.

I've almost been knocked off the bike twice this week with people carrier drivers reversing out of parking spaces onto the road with blacked out windows.
Motorists who tint windows 'may pick up fines' - Bromptonaut
Sunglasses are a bit of a red herring.

"Pimp my ride" style heavy tinting is, or is perceived to be, a real problem. There have been several threads here in the past based on press reports of folks being pulled for alleged infringements. Main issue is that it's difficult to measure light transmission accurately at the roadside unless the measuring kit is handled by properly trained operatives.

If sunglasses are at issue in a particular instance then I suspect, as with squash drinkers and apple scoffers, there are already offences on the statute book.

As a cyclist I'd like ideally to make eye contact with drivers - at least I can see which way sunglasses man is looking!!

Edited by Bromptonaut on 05/12/2007 at 22:45

Motorists who tint windows 'may pick up fines' - ForumNeedsModerating
Motorists who tint windows 'may pick up fines' .. for bad taste from the 'STOP - the chavS' disincentive programme promoted by the Society of Cultured Motorists - said a spokesperson from the North London Aesthetes & Save the Brian Sewell Charity, today.

"It's simply gone too far... proper motorists see this as the thin end of a particularly thick wedge" commented Keith Sutherland, Home Counties regional secretary of Corduroy & Cravat Club. His thoughts were echoed by similar sentiments in an editorial in the quarterly publication of the Setright Foundation, 'Big Bristols' ... under the byline 'It was a bad day when we gave them the Vote'.

Ken Scrote, midlands organiser of the Amalgated Union Non-Workers & Cash-in-Hand Collective condemmed such remarks as a "Kick in the teeth to my members and what's more a diabolical liberty"

A gubmint spokesperson wasn't available for comment.