Problems posting? - PhilW
Now of course you might all be very grateful, but I do find that the site is incredibly slow. I can post on WW1 forum and Leicester Tigers forum (the only other ones I post on) perfectly well - in fact I have just bunged some long quotations and a photo on WW1 forum with no probs, but logging on to HJ and posting a reply to a post takes an age. I have just tried to reply post and pressed the button about 10 times and get no response - is it just me?
--
Phil
Problems posting? - BobbyG
Mine works fine
--
2007 Seat Altea XL 2.0 TDI (140) Stylance
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
Problems posting? - Stuartli
I've occasionally had problems trying to post here over the last couple of days - it does happen on most websites at some time or other.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Problems posting? - Screwloose

I'm on BT Business Broadband [£90 a qtr for a mere 330kbs!!] so I'm the same as Phil...

I just hit "post" and sit and wait.... and wait.... and wait......

The whole site has got painfully slow. It must be deterring visitors.

I'll run a tracert and see where the hold-up is....... Ah; that might be a clue.....

Tracing route to webs.khoosys.net [195.10.244.8]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms home [192.168.1.xxx]
2 33 ms 34 ms 33 ms 213.123.80.250
3 33 ms 30 ms 33 ms 213.123.80.161
4 33 ms 32 ms 36 ms 217.41.171.9
5 33 ms 34 ms 35 ms 217.41.171.66
6 54 ms 50 ms 46 ms 217.41.171.78
7 35 ms 32 ms 35 ms 217.41.171.54
8 35 ms 35 ms 32 ms 217.47.89.114
9 45 ms 35 ms 32 ms core1-pos6-1.kingston.ukcore.bt.net [62.6.40.74]

10 34 ms 33 ms 33 ms core1-pos0-1-5-0.ilford.ukcore.bt.net [62.6.201.
117]
11 34 ms 34 ms 33 ms core1-pos9-0.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net [62.6.201.1
18]
12 34 ms 33 ms 35 ms ge-linx1.lon3.as8553.net [195.66.224.126]
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.
Problems posting? - Pugugly {P}
This has been a topic of conversation in the cellar. I'll pass it on to Stephen.

Problems posting? - PoloGirl
Yep - DD had problems, but it wasn't affecting the rest of us. I can't remember what Stephen said was the problem though.. sorry.
Problems posting? - Screwloose
PG

This has been an issue on other forums. Members on some ISPs have no problems, while others are driven away by horrendous delays.

I hope that tracert gives Stephen some clues; I've tried it several times, but it won't get past that jump.
Problems posting? - Dynamic Dave
I initially cured my problems by turning off google's toolbar, but then it all started up again. Not had any problems just lately though.
Screwloose, your tracert results look a lot better than mine did when I last ran it a couple of weeks ago.

Here's what Stephen had to say about mine:-

"we are the last hop from 29-30 on your list above it would indicate that there was an issue before us."

"The other thing you might like to consider is to increase the wait timeout option (-w).
See : support.microsoft.com/kb/314868 "

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 03/12/2007 at 00:29

Problems posting? - cheddar
Yes, if you click "Post" and wait you can wait an age for the page to load.

However if you click post and (while the page is loading) scroll up and then click on the blue link to the the thread title (i.e. in this case "Problems posting?") or to the forum (i.e. "Discussion" or "Technical") then you go immediatley back to either the thread or the list of threads and can see that your post is there immediately.
Problems posting? - normd2
testing testing 123
Cheddar's right you know....
Problems posting? - cheddar
Cheddar's right you know....

If I wasn't so modest I might suggest that that is usually the case ;-)
However, it must be said (again) that this is the most problematic site I've come across (slow to load, not responding etc) - I suspect it's because there are so many ads and pop-ups associated with this site but if that's what it takes then fair enough.
Problems posting? - Chris S
RE: "I suspect it's because there are so many ads and pop-ups associated with this site but if that's what it takes then fair enough."

True - but do we need a pop-up window for ecar inssurance every time we make an edit?

Having to close down several identical ads will just put people off them.
'scuse me but i'm not getting my fair share of pop-ups - not seen the one for ecar insurance yet....

maybe I'll just keep quiet.
Problems posting? - Muggy
This site works fine for me from work, but that's a superfast connection - we have our own fibre optic direct into the backbone of the internet.

From home I have an 8Mb broadband which tested at about 7.2; most sites work normally from there but this one is a bit slow.

The worst one of all, however, is e-Bay; if I'm trying to list an item from scratch from home it can take 68 minutes! Even doing a "sell similar" without a picture can take 20 minutes, as can re-listing [ which is a three click process! ].

Re-listing from work I can do four items a minute...
hurray! I've joined the club - finally got an ecar insurance pop-up. Not changed any settings so how did that happen then?
Problems posting? - Lud
Mozilla Firefox suppresses all pop-ups as far as I can see. I get occasional posting glitches but they never last long. Site works very well and predictably.
Problems posting? - Hamsafar
Safari on the Mac OS X Leopard, the site is pretty much instantaneous all the time.
Try Safari for Windows, it is supposed to be the fastest page renderer on the Windows platform too.

www.apple.com/safari/
Problems posting? - Hamsafar
If you download Safari, you can View Activity in the Window menu, and see every element of the page, sometimes the fault is with the adverts not loading. You will be able to see this, sometimes they appear red, and sometimes they stick on loading 0 bytes of ?.

8< SNIP

Sorry, but I had to remove all those links you posted as they totally screwed up the page width and there were just too many to edit with tinyurl.

DD.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 05/12/2007 at 18:50

Problems posting? - malteser
Dare I mention the advantages of a hosts file?
--
Roger. (Costa del Sol, España)