Contact cleaner. Should I use it yes or no ? - Carl2
In the past I would pull off any push on connectors, give a squirt of contact cleaner and reconnect ( about every couple of years). I never touched the main ecu though. I would only do this with the ignition off. As electrics have progressed I am now no longer sure if this practise is safe/wise. What do you think ? Please ignore the car selected only I could not post till the boxes were filled in (the computer says no!).

Computer says yes and re-classified w/o make and model details

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 30/11/2007 at 18:37

Contact cleaner. Should I use it yes or no ? - adverse camber
I wouldnt.

lots of risks, so if you dont have a problem dont create them.
Contact cleaner. Should I use it yes or no ? - bell boy
ive used contact cleaner for years or actually i should say did
why?
because the last time i used it on a sony radio the radio disintegrated literally in front of my eyes
so
keep contact cleaner to old type pots on proper wirelesses only is my advice
Contact cleaner. Should I use it yes or no ? - Screwloose
Carl

Specify which "contact cleaner" that you mean?

I keep four different ones and the spray wash to remove them once they've done their job. Most wouldn't be a good idea to leave in a joint.
Contact cleaner. Should I use it yes or no ? - oilrag
Ok on an old 65 Mini.
Modern cars, best to leave well alone I think. Only exception I made on my current vehicle was to put a little WD 40 on the very exposed (open)Rad fan connectors. I`m still not sure about that, but there`s no way i would spray inside the fuse box or any other connectors.

I can see where you`re coming from though, because I had a very well cared for Mini in the 60`s and it failed to start once due to a green substance inside a coil/contact breaker connector.

Contact cleaner. Should I use it yes or no ? - J Bonington Jagworth
If it works, don't fix it. I do spray liberally with WD-40 after a (rare) engine bay wash, but only on the outside of the connectors. I can't remember one failing, even in the bad old spade connector days, so don't want to tempt fate by dismantling.

Edited by J Bonington Jagworth on 30/11/2007 at 20:46

Contact cleaner. Should I use it yes or no ? - Red Baron
I'm not quite sure what 'contact' cleaner is.

For cleaning connectors on cars I would not use anything other than IPA (iso propyl alcohol or, iso propanol).

WD 40 is a water dispersant and leaves a residue film. Whilst it MIGHT evaporate eventually, in high current situations the residue can cause arcing.
Contact cleaner. Should I use it yes or no ? - mss1tw
Liberal amounts of ACF 50 applied to the electrics on my bikes.

It forms a film, kills rust, is safe on rubber and plastic and has very good 'creep' properties apparently.

However unlike WD40 it is NOT a water dispersant AFAIK. So make sure anything it's applied to is dry.
Servisol super 10, switch cleaning lubricant. Purchased from a radio repair shop. Excuse my lack of computer skills (kids were all out so had to struggle on my own. Noticed my spelling,s not to great either).
Carl

That seems odd stuff? If it can remove tarnish from contacts, then it must be corrosive is some form - and then it says that it leaves a protective residue.....

The various ones that I use come as two separate components - quite how they combine to two without seriously compromising the efficacy of either is beyond me.
Not thought about it but you do have a point. Which cleaner / lubes do you use ?

They're made by a little company called Wurth. Trade-only use; they'll take the skin off your hands.

Very effective against the usual salt-corroded connexions found on cars.

I'm also a big fan of soaking the entire engine bay and all electrical connector blocks with WD40 every autumn. And I really mean soaking - until it drips off everywhere.