stolen number plates - rustbucket
My nieghbour has just said that his stuck on number plates were carefully removed whilst the car was parked while he was shopping.When he reported it to the police they told him his plates had already been fitted to another vehicle which was used in a drive off without paying for petrol,all in the space of about 20 minutes. He is now waiting for the speeding fines and parking tickets to arrive. My stuck on number plates on my scenic fell off the day the car was delivered, I ended up using no nails so at least they have to be broken off.
--
rustbucket (the original)
stolen number plates - Martin Devon
I bought a new number plate for my trailer of the stick on type and being a blooming cynic stuck it and then tried almost immediately to pull it off...it just wouldn't happen.

VBR MD
stolen number plates - Simon
It all depends on what they were stuck on with and how much of the sticking product was used. If you stick numbers plates on with the 'proper' cushion tape and use plenty of it the plates are a devil to get back off in one piece. If you just use a couple of strip at each end then anyone can pull the plate off in a few seconds without breaking it.
stolen number plates - bell boy
just been reading a dvla flyer and found this
whats to say it wont becomes law in the future that all new cars will have to have these obviously expensive new type plates fitted

tinyurl.com/yrcuhe
stolen number plates - henry k
Thanks for the link.
The Pdf file has an interesting list of "tools" that will / can be used it the "attack" testing.
stolen number plates - L'escargot
If you stick numbers plates on with the 'proper' cushion tape
and use plenty of it the plates are a devil to get back off ......

The recognised technique to remove them (and badges etc similarly stuck on) is cheese wire or nylon thread.

I'm pleased mine are held on with screws because I'm anticipating them failing the next MOT because they don't have the required details of the manufacturer.
--
L\'escargot.
stolen number plates - bell boy
Good point L'escargot,i use an old 12" hacksaw blade
Maybe the best solution is to fit philips type screws and then drill out the centre bit
So what are the current options to reduce the risks of stolen number plates?

Are plates, that shatter when attempting to remove them, available now?

Will covering the whole of the plate with adhesive / pads work ?
Is this possible on front plates ? On many, I suspect not.

Four bolts and Nylocs seem a better alternative to self tapping screws.
I guess even then a split plate can be simply sorted with gaffer tape.

The list of tools for testing removal techniques is very informative.
Combatting these scroats certainly takes some thought.
>>Are plates, that shatter when attempting to remove them, available now?
>>
To answer my own question. Yes.

A professionally fitted pair of Secureplates will cost you £50. For details, go to www.secureplate.co.uk or telephone 0121 623 8050.

So if you have them fitted it will cost you at least £25 for a replacement when a scroat tries and fails.
For the overall potential saving in aggro I guess the total expenditure is worth it.
stolen number plates - Chris S
RE: "He is now waiting for the speeding fines and parking tickets to arrive. "

On the plus side he now stands a good chance of avoiding his own speeding tickets and parking fines!
stolen number plates - mjm
I have just googled number plate suppliers and it isn't expensive to buy plates online. I would have thought that the number on the plate is the valuable item. Find a similar model, colour etc and just clone the plates.

The owner of the plates has lost nothing that he is aware of, so no-one is alerted until the fines start arriving. ANPR picks up a genuine plate on the sort of car it is expecting.
stolen number plates - movilogo
stuck on number plates

Excuse my ignorance, but exactly what is the stuck on number plate? Is it one which is fitted using adhesive?

I thought all number plates are fitted with bolts!

Edited by movilogo on 27/11/2007 at 15:17

stolen number plates - rtj70
"stuck on number plate"

These are plates stuck on with adhesive pads instead of screws.

My new Mazda6 came with stuck on plates and I noticed the rear one was off on one side so pushed it back on. A day later I saw someone I knew who had his plates stolen from outside the local Tesco Express where he works.... spotting my plates he said "you should get those screwed on and told me the tale"...

... so thinking someone stealing plates locally, mine half off.... maybe they tried mine too. So got them screwed on by the Mazda dealer the next day.

I think my last company car was cloned without plates being stolen so didn't want another.