Air Traffic Controller Needs Autopilot - Kieran
I have a 100 mile round trip to the 'office' and so clock-up well over 20K miles-a-year.

I need a car that will give me cheap motoring (including residual value) - we're not paid as much as the pilots! I'd also like a car that will transport me in comfort. Most of the drive is on dualed roads and, after a hard day on console, I'd like to be transported in a fashion as near as possible to autopilot!

My budget is 10-15K. I currently drive an 8-year-old, 2ltr, petrol, Mondeo, which is getting towards the end of its life and with 80K on the clock would appear to be almost worthless.

Any advice would be very much appreciated!
Air Traffic Controller Needs Autopilot - cheddar
80k is not a great mileage, the Mondeo will be worth at least £1000 if in good order.

Auto or manual?

If I were you I would leave 'em stacking at take a few test drives ;-)
Air Traffic Controller Needs Autopilot - Altea Ego
If I were you I would leave 'em stacking at take a few test drives
;-)

Its a "holding pattern" ched, - stacking sounds so common.
------
< Ulla>
Air Traffic Controller Needs Autopilot - cheddar
Its a "holding pattern" ched - stacking sounds so common.

I once knew a bloke who lived in the Staines area who would say in a pub / club etc when asked by a girl what he did for a living " i've gotta go back in a minute, i've left 'em stacking", sometimes they would push, asking which supermarket he worked for or similar, in which case he strung it out and eventually said ATC at Heathrow, it was never quite as funny for others as it was for him.
Air Traffic Controller Needs Autopilot - Altea Ego
Does not fit the cheap motoring bit, but fits the autopilot part

Volkswagen Phaeton Saloon 3189 cc 3.2 V6
4 Doors, Automatic, Saloon, Petrol, 24,500 miles, Tarantella Black, 12-way electric front seats,4zone climate control,8 air bags,ABS with HBA,Air suspension with self levelling system,Alloy wheels 7.5j x 16 'dynamic',Audio system,CD autochanger,Communication pack with car phone,Cruise control,ESP including EDL and ASR,Heated seats,Infotainment system with 7 inch monitor,Multifunction steering wheel,Navigation/radio,sensitive leather interior,Xenon headlights. £17,450

------
< Ulla>
Air Traffic Controller Needs Autopilot - Bill Payer
Does not fit the cheap motoring bit ...

You're not joking there!!!

Kieran: I guess it depends what your attitude to risk is, but it strikes me that you could do with a low mileage 5yr old car (which was maybe what your Mondeo was when you got it).
I was thinking something like a Peugeot diesel, pehaps a 307 or 406? Or maybe even a 605 for waftability - I had a 605 2.2L diesel auto for a month on loan and I thought it was lovely at motorway cruising.
Air Traffic Controller Needs Autopilot - Alby Back
Kieran - Left field suggestion. Keep the Mondy, with a bit of TLC it'll easily do another 80k. Use remaining budget to buy something outrageous for those occasions when you feel like avoiding the dual carriageway and doing a bit of "low-flying" yourself. :-)
Air Traffic Controller Needs Autopilot - local yokel
Why do you think that an 80k Mondy is towards the end of its life? They should take the miles pretty well, and 80k is about half of a minimum life mileage, I'd suggest. Your mileage, while high-ish, is just perfect for keeping a car in condition.

Total left field choice - Mazda Xedos 6 - not expensive, well-appointed and robust. Boring choice would be a Passat diesel.