04, Estate 1.6i 16V Elegance 5dr LPG DUAL-FUEL - Tron
ASTRA ESTATE 1.6i 16V Elegance 5dr LPG DUAL-FUEL Year: 2003 48k.

Hi all,

Not owned an LPG vehicle before but I am familiar with Astra type vehicles as this is the make and type of car have always owned. my current Astra (Swing 1.4) I have had since new and it has just clocked 200k - original engine and gearbox too :)

Need help please with what to look for when I go and view this vehicle at the weekend - any pointers, no matter how small, questions I need to ask, what I need to ensure has been replaced for its age etc.

All help and advice is most welcome - if I am looking at buying a dog of a car please tell me!

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Dave.

Moved over from Technical - for a wider audience

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 13/11/2007 at 23:24

04, Estate 1.6i 16V Elegance 5dr LPG DUAL-FUEL - De Smythe
This is a tried and tested car but the LPG aspect is a question mark. Not sure what the benefits are of having this engine (already fairly economical) with LPG because if huge mileage is the issue then why not buy an Astra diesel estate?

LPG will nearly always stick a massive surcharge on your insurance whether the car is the original Vauxhall version from new or an aftermarket conversion. The 1.6 16V lump is gutsy and smooth despite the customary clonky Vauxhall gearbox and should give 40+ mpg on the open road without LPG.

The car as a whole is bulletproof as witnessed by the hundreds of alarm engineers/photocopier reps who systematically abuse and thrash them for every mile travelled. Apart from making sure regular maintenence incl cambelt has been carried out there are no problems reported.

Very much a case of substance over style, as typified by the drab interior, but it makes an excellent and reliable no nonsense workhorse. Would not bother with the LPG version though because of the extra insurance and scarcity of the fuel itself.
Hi,

Thanks or your response De Smythe.

It is the cost of petrol/diesel that is pushing me down the LPG path. I do not see either of these now for much less that £1.02 to £1.12 for a litre of unleaded.

Diesel is even more expensive and is as much as £1.21 in my neck of the woods. (Shocked face look).

LPG has not moved for weeks though and is still at a mere 0.43p to 0.46p a litre - now that's better isn't it?

Pleased to hear that the car I am interested in is a tried and tested workhorse though.

It was the good old Astramax Van (J reg was my first) that got me hitched onto Astra's by the way.

I know the vehicle I am going to see is an ex fleet too so it has a more than full service history - so I have been told. Just hope the dealer ain't trying a fast one on me. I know the model far to well to not be able to look and rummage to see if it is as well serviced as they claim. Yes, I will bo taking some overalls, a torch and my little inspection mirror... That is just for the dealer because they will need that to find and remove the car if he is stitching me up!

Heard talk of filters for the LPG side of the fuel supply and that these must be changed every 10 to 20k? Anyone know what I have been told about please? Anyone know what are the estimated costs and are frequency of change are please?
04, Estate 1.6i 16V Elegance 5dr LPG DUAL-FUEL - nick
My insurer wasn't bothered when I converted a Jeep a few years ago, as long as it was done by an LPGA-approved fitter and a certificate issued. No problem in this case as it's factory-fitted.
I can't remember any extra filters on my converted Jeep but there was a water trap that needed draining at servicing time.
04, Estate 1.6i 16V Elegance 5dr LPG DUAL-FUEL - 1066
a friend of mine converted a 3 yr old jaguar xj to lpg and his insurance stayed the same
For 50 litres of unleaded I paid £49.45 today @ 98.9p.

If I had of been able to fill with LPG (with 50 litres) at .46p it would have been £23.00.

I will go through 50 litres of fuel in seven days due to commuting (motorway & town) and social travel.

By going to LPG I will be saving £26.95 per week.

That is a huge £1401.4p a year. That will pay for either servicing, car insurance, a good holiday or anything else I care to put that soon to be spare income towards.

I asked a guy at the LPG pump if he noticed any difference in performance (he was in a jeep) or mpg. He said that he still gets the same mpg if he runs LPG or Diesel through the engine and performance wise he said that there was no real difference.

Thanks for the help from those that replied - decision has been made - my next vehicle will be a dual fuel (petrol or diesel) LPG.

Dave.
04, Estate 1.6i 16V Elegance 5dr LPG DUAL-FUEL - De Smythe
Glad you found the above info of use. Your sums certainly point towards a convincing victory for LPG.

My comment on the insurance related to a mate who asked (albeit a few years ago) for a quote on a factory manufactured bi-fuel Vectra and was told it was group 19. Insurance on the Astra Elegance you are looking at is only group 6 so either there was a mistake with my mates quote or groupings have dropped somewhat!

Elegance spec on the mk 4 Astra was good too with climate/cruise/CD changer etc so best of luck in your hunt. You won't go wrong with a good one.
04, Estate 1.6i 16V Elegance 5dr LPG DUAL-FUEL - Ruperts Trooper
There IS a difference in performance and economy, between LPG and unleaded, according to Vauxhall.

The slightly earlier '00 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 16v LPG had economy of 21.4/36.1/28.8 on LPG compared to 28.0/47.1/37.7 on unleaded and had a 5% deterioration in acceleration due to the 67kg increase in kerbweight.