01 Hdi 110 speedometer fault - LanDenNick
I just bought a 2001 406 estate only to have the speedometer fail within days. I have tried to follow the instructions on www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=74...3

and used the pictures from www.peugeot406coupe.com/howto/1929SJ.pdf

BUT I could not locate the part (1929SJ) anywhere behind the glove box (or on the drivers side).
After I tried the speedo did flicker back to life for 1.1 miles (perhaps I knocked a wire?) but it's dead again now.

If there is some other magic to the 2001 406 please could someone share it with me.

Thanks very much.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 04/11/2007 at 16:16

01 Hdi 110 speedometer fault - Screwloose
LDN

I can't make those links work; but on a multiplexed D9, the speedo is driven by speed info carried on the CAN network through the BSI - probably originally from the ABS.

If you have access to the appropriate equipment; scan the display ECU and if the speed data is present; use the actuations to test the speedo function.

These pods do fail.
01 Hdi 110 speedometer fault - Dynamic Dave
I can't make those links work

They'll work now. DD.
Thanks for the Link-Fix DD

I have booked the 406 in for a fault diagnostic (costing £40) tomorrow so I'll be able to report more then.

As for the equipment to read the ECU, is it worth getting something like the "ECU FLASHER CHIPTUNING INTERFACE" I have seen advertised on ebay (£100 inc shipping) and if so what would you recommend?

This is my first outing into the world of the self propelled computer and it's proving to be something of a leap from my (t)rusty old 2CV. I'm good with computer and machines but I've never had to do both at the same time before. Ah the pace of change (sigh).

Thanks again TTFN.
01 Hdi 110 speedometer fault - Screwloose
LDN

You're probably better paying your local garage to use their pro scanner than getting involved in the over-hyped DIY interface market.

Very few cheap tools can read anything but the basic engine data. Unfortunately; I don't know of any PSA equivalent of VAG-Com or Vaux-Com. There's a huge market waiting for somebody to exploit.

The problem turned out to be in the gear box but the peugot garage diagnostics were all out so it was first blamed on sensors on the front axel then a suspected loose connection in the loom and finaly the gearbox. Luckily for me the dealer from whom I bought it was honerabal and had the repair carried out at his expence.

As I understand it the part that went wrong was a small nylon disk (which probably cost about 50p) buried in the bowles of the gearbox. Replacing it involves the removal of the gear box which I was told takes more than 7 hours and is therefor very expensive, but I have no Idea how much it cost as I didn't have to pay :).

Hope this helps someone.