'96 1.4 - straining to start - shirike
Hello,

I'm really struggling to pin-point a niggling start issue with my car.

When I turn the ignition there is a mechanical sound that I can only describe as a "strain" - this occurs at a cold start, warm start and during any kind of weather condition. The battery is ok, the spark plugs have been changed and I can't think of anything else it could be.

It will start after 3 or 4 attempts (it's never failed to start).

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 30/10/2007 at 18:42

'96 1.4 - straining to start - Screwloose
shirike

Does it actually crank over when it doesn't start?
'96 1.4 - straining to start - Tinypurplewitch
Hi,

Hi,

Did anyone ever reply with a fix it to your problem or have you worked it out?? I am having the same, cat being killed, noise come from starting the car. Sometimes it take 10mins before it will start. Would really appreciate any help you can give I know it was a fair time ago!

Thanks

'96 1.4 - straining to start - Peter D

Corroded connection/earth strap or the battery is not as you think. What is the battery voltage when cranking. Regards Peter

Battery has recently been fully re-charged after the other half killed it, connections seem ok. Have been stung big time at a local garage. They said it was coil in the ignition so replaced it for £100's and it is still happening, have also replaced the ignition coil ourselves for not even the cost of an hours labour. It's driving me crackers!

'96 1.4 - straining to start - Peter D

Have you had the capacity of the battery checked by a local motor factors. A very simple and free check. Regards Peter

So if I potter into kwik fit or somewhere of that type they can check it for me? Not sure I understand as the car does start and battery seems fine, but will get it checked and send you an e-pint if it works :)