Family Car recommendations - GB
I currently own 1982 1.6 Golf GTi (bought from VW dealer in 1985). Stolen in July 1992, recovered by the Police a week later (driver drink driving and disqualified etc). Car taken to a garage and left there for 6 months (false plates fitted, got it back when someone finally looked at the engine number). Notified the very day ex company 1990 Golf GTi 16v arrived, my brother phoned to let me know car available but could not get through as the Police were already on the line telling me they had my car and apologising for the delay etc bless them. Not really their fault, I think they were swamped. 0-2 Golfs in 5 minutes. I was a very happy bunny! All a bit spooky though. This is now our main car. Mark 1 gathering dust and flat batteries in our garage.

I am in my 40's, my wife is in her 30's and we have 2 kids 6 and 1.5 years old. My wife is expecting number 3 in July.
Tried a double buggy but as expected it will not fit in the Golf 2 boot.

Time to get a bigger car.
Budget £5000 - £15,000 max, 6 years old max.
Wish list includes
big boot or hatch area,
proper 3 point rear seatbelts for 3.

Any advice / recommendations gratefully received.

Graham
Family Car recommendations - TrevorP
Skoda Octavia Tdi.

Yes I know idea of diesel sounds pedestrian after Golf GTi, but -
1) adequate performance
2) huge boot
3) vey good reliability
4) very high user satisfaction rating.
Family Car recommendations - TrevorP
just checked - NEW Skoda Octavia Ambiente 1.9TDi £11,933 from

www.broker4cars.co.uk/

(Oh yes, forgot to say they came top in Family Car group (this year's J D Power survey published last week),

and NO I have not got one, so I am not doing the "my car is wonderful" bit.
Family Car recommendations - Paul Robinson
Sounds like safety is a high priority for you. One factor that will narrow the field significantly is how important are ABS brakes in your choice? For example most Mondeo's (92-2000)did not have ABS
Family Car recommendations - Mike H
Sounds like safety is a high priority for you. One
factor that will narrow the field significantly is how important are
ABS brakes in your choice? For example most Mondeo's (92-2000)did
not have ABS

Not sure about the "most". From 97 on (facelift model) ABS was standard on GLX up (i.e. Ghia & Ghia X), and optional on LX & Aspen. Also, three headrests/third inertia reel belt in rear was option as was passenger airbag (I specified all three options for family reasons). If you look around you can these Mondeos for silly prices now making them bargains.
Family Car recommendations - Soupytwist
I'd throw a late Saab 9000 in - would come in nearer the lower end of your budget scale. Big boot / hatch & has three proper rear seat belts. Might be a bit thirsty but if you're not spending the upper end of your budget it might not matter.
Am considering buying one myself if when I find out what sort of car I get with my new job.
Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.
Family Car recommendations - Dogbreath
Honda Legend?? See the thread I started!
Family Car recommendations - Mike H
Yep, I'd agree with that. They will last for years, and late model with reasonable mileage are available for about £7000-8000 - values are holding well & they are becoming something of a modern classic for those in the know. look at the Saab Owners Club site (saabclub.co.uk) or Saabtrader (saabtrader.co.uk) for useful info.
Family Car recommendations - blowpipe
I've run a Saab 9000CSE for six years. It's coped with three kids, and the cavernous boot takes all that's needed for a bucket'n spade Cornish holiday for the family with ease.
Luxury feel, go on and on with very few problems, but the best thing is you can get a great example for 5-6K. Unless you've money to burn on depreciation, buy one and invest the cash you save for the kiddy's future. Wait until they finally destroy the interior and buy another!
Family Car recommendations - Stargazer {P}
Graham,

We had to make a similar choice when returning from Oz.

We drove newish Golf's, looked at Honda Civic estates, Rover 45,Pug307, Vx Astra/Vectra, Ford Focus,

Anyway all fell down on either space for a buggy or 3rd rear seat belt.....particularly on a SH car where the original owner didnt add any extra safety options (company policy?)

Ended up with a MY2000 Volvo V40, 3 rear seatbelts, ABS, AC (ok a luxury, but makes travelling with young children in summer much more pleasant) and plenty of boot space, the S40 has similar boot volume but slightly more limited access. It doesnt have the driving dynamics of a Golf GTi but it holds its own and is fairly economical (38mpg on mixed/long runs). Should easily get a late 2000 car for under your budget.

Also worth considering, Subaru Legacy...right at the top of your budget for an almost new car, but big inside, very comfortably, reliable and fantastic handling, downside is the insurance group and the thirst for petrol.

regds

Ian
Family Car recommendations - pete w
People may say it's boring but try an Avensis. High Spec, 3 point belt, very large and deep boot / hatch area. 43mpg ( petrol) Ins group 8. Reliable, comfortable. 3 years old will easily be bought for £6-7K and keep a Golf GTi Mk 2 for fun as well. I have had great service out of mine ( W reg, now worth £5kish ) which is used as my company vehicle ( bought my own ) and copes well with all our luggage and the paraphenalia associated with two girls now 6 and 8.

Cheers,

Pete