Over bearing attitudes of some backroomers - kievclive
Saw LHM's comments - on a read only messsage (adios amigos)! I must confess to having been away from the discussion for a while after becoming more than somewhat 'peeved' by the over bearing attitude of some and being on the recieving end of some 'wisdom' ......pretty much why I no longer live in the UK, frankly!

Header amendment to reflect topic being discussed

Edited by Webmaster on 19/10/2007 at 14:54

adios amigos - Lud
It's easy to be inadvertently ruder than you would be face to face when simply writing a reply to someone you don't really know and whose face you can't see. I have noticed myself doing it here several times and have had to apologise a couple of times.

I wonder whether this is what LHM and kievclive are really talking about? Obviously sometimes someone not all that nice seems to be posting, but is it any worse in the pub?

I haven't been here all that long and have been pretty mouthy myself. But I haven't noticed any tendency or trend in a negative direction. Of course one wouldn't necessarily if one was part of the perceived problem!
adios amigos - Cliff Pope
and whose face you can't see.

>>>>

I wonder if we all had avatars with our real faces on we would all be nicer?
adios amigos - normd2
I think some just take this all too seriously - part of the 'fun' if you like is the annonimity, you can be whoever you like here and no-one needs be any the wiser. Also if you don't like what you've read, ignore it and move on - it's entirely voluntary. Discussions DO get heated and not everyone agrees with everyone else - it'd all be a bit pointless otherwise. The only place I do hope the truth is told is 'technical matters' and even then I don't follow advice blindly but to date have never been misled and am extemely grateful for that.
adios amigos - kievclive
Its not a case of agreeing or otherwise but more a question of opinion and experience which tends to be ridiculed by a few from time to time......on the otherhand we all seem to be pretty united in our interests, politics (bar smoking which was a classic) and general sense of humour.
adios amigos - Malcolm_L
I'm with you - a good example was fairylights who is/was a newbie who posted a question about advice on which small car to buy.

The usual suspects came out with their interpretations, several of which were buy a larger car whereas she was quite specific that she wanted a small car and re-iterated this in a further thread.
The post then degenerated to a degree which caused fairylights to apologise for offending anyone.

Nowt heard from fairylights since, so well done all those who got their viewpoints across.
adios amigos - Mapmaker
I presume that I am being tarred with the 'usual suspects' brush. I really don't think that fairylight's original post was as obvious as it seems.

Whilst obviously she mentioned 'tiny' to describe the car, she also described the budget similarly. Additionally, she said she was currently driving an Altea wheich she 'loved'.

Fairylight's current transport is an Altea. carbycar breakdown says it is 2578mm long and 1770mm wide. Mondeo II is 14'8 long and 6'4 wide. So all in all, that's 15cm wider and longer than her current car which she 'loves'.

I think we mostly agree that there is virtually no difference in cost between running similar aged large and small cars. What you win on the depreciation you lose on the insurance and tax and petrol.

As a new visitor to the BR, it is quite possible that fairylights was unaware of the cost similarity between running a large and a small car. So there was a very good reason to suggest that considering a Mondeo would be a good idea.

Furthermore, being an internet chat forum, who pays too much attention to a lone voice stating 'Micra' or 'Rolls'? Therefore it is important for additional 'votes' to be registered. It's a chat forum, after all.

Later in the thread, Fairylights stated that she would not drive a large car under any circumstances. Fairynuff! That was not information that was provided at the start.
adios amigos - madf
As I have posted elesewhere , this place is an oasis of tranquility and good manners. Full stop. Yes occasionally it gets heated but there are few trolls and no long running personal invective..

The little bad behaviour I have seen in 5? 6 years does not last long ..(Where is Toad?)

And frankly it's of the "handbags at dawn " variety.

Belive me, try some of the political websites.. Guido Fawkes for example...There it's machetes at 2 paces..

I just don't read the muppetry .. but there is very little in a very useful and enjoyable site.. (and yes I'm a crusty)

madf
adios amigos - GregSwain
As others have said, it's very easy to offend without meaning to do so, and I'm certainly not innocent on that count. But the whole point of a forum is bringing different ideas together. Compared to one particular site I used to post on, the BR is very polite and mild-mannered, and well-moderated for that matter.

Comments are usually made in good humour too, but it's very difficult to express something as tongue-in-cheek when nobody can see your body-language. The tone of one's typing is very difficult to convey ;-)
adios amigos - boxsterboy
Complete and utter rubbish, Lud!! Shurely you no that all Japanese cars are brilliant, and all french cars are carp. And the Mondeo TDCi is also an excellent car! I know it all!! ;-)

(P.S. I see that Toyota are having to recall another 470,000 cars in the USA!)
adios amigos - Sprice
This site is refreshing in its simplicity. Some forums I no longer visit are frankly confusing with giant avatars and flashing signatures etc. Thank goodness there is none of that (egotistical) nonsense on this helpful site and long may it continue!

PS, some of the 'heated' discussions are entertaining. As mentioned, it really would be boring if everyone agreed.

Edited by Pot on 19/10/2007 at 13:29

adios amigos - mrmender
I wonder whether this is what LHM and kievclive are really talking about? Obviously sometimes
someone not all that nice seems to be posting but is it any worse in
the pub?

Well put over LUD
adios amigos - R75
Saw LHM's comments - on a read only messsage!

Cant see this thread lasting long before it too becomes a Read Only topic - no doubt PG will don her Police uniform and convert it for you!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Complete with sarcastic comment)

If only I had one! - PG

Edited by PoloGirl on 19/10/2007 at 17:06

adios amigos - bell boy
who is this adios amigos?
ive never seen his posts????

SMILEY SMILEY
adios amigos - Chris M
I've been a visitor here for probably eight years and look in most days. I don't think posters attitude has changed greatly as I believe there have always been those you wish would find another forum.

What has changed is that I've become quite bored with the forum. The same questions pop up regularly and usually the same answers. There isn't much new anyone can say about speed humps or oil changes. Obviously anyone new to the forum won't notice this and will hopefully benefit from the, often sound, advice.

I now find I scan the topics and actually read very few from start to finish.

But, like television, the forum has an off button and if we don't like it, we can ........ off.
adios amigos - Clk Sec
>>>I presume that I am being tarred with the 'usual suspects' brush.
>>>Mapmaker

Quite likely. I cried for a week after your response to my (intended) helpful advice in the latter part of the recent ?New H J Site Volume 1? thread.

I?ve only just recovered.

: - ) Clk Sec

Over bearing attitudes of some backroomers - GroovyMucker
I must confess to ... becoming more than somewhat 'peeved' by the over bearing attitude of some and being on the recieving end of some 'wisdom' ......pretty much why I no longer live in the UK frankly!

You emigrated because of something that was said by a BRoomer?

What on earth was it?
Over bearing attitudes of some backroomers - retgwte
I actually like the threads where HJ himself makes his opinions known, often says some stuff which would be removed by the often politically correct moderation if anyone else had said it

And that for me says it all, some views are sanctioned and others get wiped out, as I happen to mostly agree with HJ this isnt such a big shake to me, but I can imagine others getting upset

Are folk taking things way too seriously, for me its no more serious than a chat I would have down the pub or on the top deck of a bus, but with folk who have an interest in motoring

Over bearing attitudes shakes multiple ways, sometimes Over bearing for me is too much support for the police when even their own front line troops would be critical, or too much support for some govt policies etc, or sometimes the reverse

I'd like to be able to upgrade to see the stuff censored by the moderaors, I know the stuff Ive read before its wiped is often the most entertaining

Compared to other forums on the web this is relatively sweetness and light

Over bearing attitudes of some backroomers - barney100
I have found the backroomers friendly and knowledgeable and have had some great advice.
Over bearing attitudes of some backroomers - deepwith
I have had brilliant advice on, and help with, all sorts of topics.
I am constantly amazed at the generosity of the Backroomers over the past couple of years, both to me and others giving information, views, knowledge and sources of help.
Like any large group of people not everyone will agree with everything 'said' - that's life.
Best of all - I have had so many really good laughs at the humour and wit of so many of the members of this forum.

Over bearing attitudes of some backroomers - piggy
I have found the backroomers friendly and knowledgeable and have had some great advice.

I am in full agreement with barney100 on this one. I too find the site interesting and informative and would miss my almost daily doses of contributions from BB,mapmaker,stuartli and others.
Anyone who takes exeption to some of the contributions must have a very thin skin.
Where would we be whithout some disagreement and discussion?
Surely,it`s the whole point of the site. As a regular visitor to the Fiat Uk site, I can tell you that the Honest John site is remarkably restrained and polite in comparison.
hurrying on- to a receding future
Over bearing attitudes of some backroomers - stunorthants26
I think that while there is certainly some very opinionated people here, myself often included, that is mearly a characteristic of the very pubic forum that this is - its not a secret society nor is it group therapy - its real people giving real and differing opinions on a subject most of us are interested in.

It would be nice if the newbies were given some slack though - easy targets and not sporting!
Maybe there should be a warning about the banter and strong views often expressed for new members?

I think the 'car guys' ( and girls) should give the some slack to those who know much less and educate rather than attack their ignorance.

Stu
Over bearing attitudes of some backroomers - gordonbennet
I think you should all be nicer to the over 50's and when i meet one i'll be the first.
Over bearing attitudes of some backroomers - Lud
very pubic forum that this is - its real people giving real
and differing opinions on a subject most of us are interested in.
It would be nice if the newbies were given some slack though - educate rather than attack their ignorance.

Bit of a typo there at the top stunorthants!

Some people have asked, when I have complained about something seen here, why I 'hang out with those people'.

I explain that a) they aren't all the same and b) they share a major interest of mine.

Surely no one would jeer at someone else's ignorance (unless offensively paraded as knowledge)? We are all pretty ignorant about most things actually. Most people only know much about a few things. It's part of the human tragedy.

Or do I mean comedy? Theatre anyway, or at least music hall.

Edited by Lud on 20/10/2007 at 00:40

Over bearing attitudes of some backroomers - Screwloose
Lud

Bernard Cribbins would empathize......
Over bearing attitudes of some backroomers - Clk Sec
I?ve been an H J member for about seven months (although a regular visitor for a number of years before that) and I have very much enjoyed the discussion, the banter, the strong views and particularly the humour.

As someone who has always been interested in cars, but without the more detailed knowledge of Aprilia, Lud, PU, BB and several others, I have gained good advice for which I am grateful.

Will I eventually become bored with it all ? I doubt it.

Clk Sec

Over bearing attitudes of some backroomers - L'escargot
In every walk of life you are bound to meet a certain number of people who are overbearing. My approach is just to ignore them as much as posible, and in a forum that is simplicity itself! All I know is I would have been lost without all the advice I have received about computers.
--
L\'escargot.
Over bearing attitudes of some backroomers - Pendlebury
I think the fact that people bother to post anything means they care enough to do it. Us Brits are not that good at listening to advise we do not want. Other nationalities will happily accept someones point of view if it differes from theirs. They may not agree with it but every one has an opinion - hence sites such as this.
It is wrong that people should feel bullied though and I think it is as someone says above - it is difficult to put over the helpful nature at times when responding.
I know I droll on sometimes about certain brands but it is only because that is my experience of car ownership - I can't change that. I am also happy to apologise when I think I am wrong. I recall one or two posts with Dox and oldgit where I have had some banter and I am quite happy to take the banter back when I know people let me give it. At the end of the day anyone responding on here usually means well IMO. And that is how I treat it.
Over bearing attitudes of some backroomers - George Porge
I know I droll on sometimes about certain brands

Never ;o0

I enjoy our little discussions Pendlebury, if I see a post started by you I'm compelled to read it.

If you make a comment in jest or a little leg pull just do a little smilley so that the OP knows its meant to be friendly banter rather than confrontational.

[Dox climbs off his box]

;o)
Over bearing attitudes of some backroomers - Pendlebury
How do you do a smiley ? (serious question by the way)
Over bearing attitudes of some backroomers - J Bonington Jagworth
I do mine like this :-)

There are lots more, though...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smiley