1999 1.9 - eratic idle - darren67
my bmw 1.9, t 1999,
starts fine then idles up and down, after a while driving it is ok, then when i switch off the engine and start it back up it idles up and down again, if i pull one of the senors off, top off the engine on the right side where the air pipe goes into the top it idles perfect but high. then i get a poping noise when i rev and the choke does not come on. I also checked when i undo the engine filler cap i get a suction, do bmw suck in when engine running.

Any help much appricated.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 09/10/2007 at 20:04

1999 1.9 - eratic idle - Screwloose
darren

I think Doc covered this, in detail, in the other BMW post on this page [or the next.]

It's likely that the diaphragm in that breather [the crankcase ventilation valve] has split.

Try a new one from the dealer. Not dear.

Edited by Screwloose on 09/10/2007 at 20:57

thanks for u reply ,just woundering where about is the crankcase on e46 model is there a web site i can look..thank you again
one more thing,the problem i got i already had a few months ago ,then just started to idle fine on its own until a week ago started to play up again,,thank again
darren

The crankcase is the space below the engine block that the crankshaft spins around in.

This is the crankcase breather that allows fumes to be re-cycled. It can be more of an issue in cooler weather.
hi again, i really mean where abouts is diaphram and is it easy to find and cheack for a split...thank you
darren

I thought that you had already found it when you pulled the pipe off it?