1.0. steering lighter turning left than right - mscott
The steering on my 1 litre Corsa feels lighter steering to the left compared to steering to the right. The steering doesn't pull to either side when going straight and there's no uneven tyre wear. I know that this car has an electric power steering assistance, but can anyone tell me if this strange asymmetry is possible or am I imagining it? Thanks.
s
1.0. steering lighter turning left than right - Screwloose
m

You're probably not imagining it; if it's charging OK, the power steering is probably beginning to fail, like everything else on these, or even the bulkhead is cracking up.

Sell it - fast.
1.0. steering lighter turning left than right - topbloke
almost certanly the motor on the steering column however make sure you are sitting down when you ask the price however if you need one and dont fancy dealer prices try these guy's www.bba-reman.com/catalogue/DetailedProduct.aspx?D...3 had various dealings with them, good as gold !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1.0. steering lighter turning left than right - bryanL
This seems to be standard after the warranty expires. However, there's a firm in the Medway area replaces these for about £300 . My son's Corsa C 1.0 passes the MOT regularly and the local Vauxhall garage have not noticed it as a fault needing rectification in 3 years . There again, they haven't stamped the last service booking! At £700 quid --what did I expect, I was only paying real money? And I thought Ciroen were bad.
Bryan
1.0. steering lighter turning left than right - bryanL
Not sure what a bulkhead has to do with an electric
motor mounted on the steering column. Are you driving the Titanic, or is the other geezer?
1.0. steering lighter turning left than right - Screwloose
bryanL

If you worked on cars for a living; then you would have seen the torque reaction from the electric steering crack the column mounting on these Corsa's bulkheads.

Clear now?
1.0. steering lighter turning left than right - Number_Cruncher
>>then you would have seen the torque reaction from the electric steering

Yes, on an ordinary power steering set up, the column and its bulkhead mountings only experience a relatively small torque, the full steering load only being felt within the steering box or steering rack.

In these electrical systems, the full torque is borne by the steering column mountings to the bulkhead, because the assistance is provided much closer to the wheel. People much more cynical then myself might think that the structural design of the body side mountings of the electrical power steering system have not fully taken this into account.

Number_Cruncher

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 14/10/2007 at 19:49