Batteries....another discussion. - mal
Why is it batteries have never advanced from the lead acid principle when smaller batteries used in the electronic gadgetry have advanced leaps and bounds. They seem to stuck in time!!.
And there is bound to a knowledgeable backroomer to shed light on this one.
Batteries....another discussion. - bell boy
And there is bound to a knowledgeable backroomer to shed light on this one.

only if they have a fully charged battery
all to do with amps and output i guess
plus lead batteries are cheap to build even though due to chinas consumption of lead ,world supply down to 2 days at the moment,scrap batteries are worth £150 a tonne but its illegal to carry more than 3 scrap ones even with a waste licence and going to an enviromental recycling centre,i cant work this out personally

there are more questions than answers,johnny nash 1972?
Batteries....another discussion. - Kevin
>.but its illegal to carry more than 3 scrap ones even with a waste licence..

I had to order one last year from a dealer in Manchester. It's a Delco unit with side terminals that I couldn't get anywhere else. The problem was that none of the usual parcel/courier companies would accept the job of delivering it to Basingstoke.

Luckily my folks were due to come down from Sheffield so they made a slight detour and picked it up for me.

Not related to the original question, but what are the regulations covering the transport of auto batteries?

Kevin...
Batteries....another discussion. - L'escargot
The batteries used in "electronic gadgetry" are only capable of delivering minute amounts of power and current, and they're generally not rechargeable. A car battery has to deliver a lot of power and has to be rechargeable.
--
L\'escargot.
Batteries....another discussion. - FotheringtonThomas
Why is it batteries have never advanced from the lead acid principle

Because they are the best available for the price and for the application.
I will add that better physical construction has improved their longevity and capability a good deal since they were first used for automotive applications!
More to the point, (somebody correct me if I am wrong) technology has not advanced at all it is still a lead acid battery which is used for high amperage applications such as the auto industry, it is still very old technology.
Batteries....another discussion. - L'escargot
......... is still very old technology.

I prefer the term "tried and tested technology". Being new doesn't always mean it's better ~ quite often it just means it's cheaper and more fragile.
--
L\'escargot.
still a lead acid battery which is used for high amperage
applications such as the auto industry it is still very old technology.

Same goes for the wheel, eh! However, that was invented longer ago than the 150 years (approx) that lead-acid cells have been around.

Next!
Batteries....another discussion. - barney100
Apparently lead acid batteries are old techology, perhaps 2000 years old! Examples have been found which shows that the ancients had a primitive battery which was used to gild gold onto base metals.
Well, not quite the same, a wheel is a wheel, it is round and they can't make it any rounder,although it is rounder than it was when they used logs to make them ;-).
When that was historians can not agree.
Batteries....another discussion. - LHM
Because they are the best available for the price and for the application.

Indeed they are!

Other battery technologies require more sophisticated charging regimes than are practical in current vehicle designs. Lead-acid batteries are capable of withstanding significant 'abuse' in terms of temperature extremes, overcharging, high short-term cranking currents, among others.
Batteries....another discussion. - GregSwain
What are these fancy "calcium" ones you can buy for £20 more than a normal lead-acid one?
Batteries....another discussion. - Paul I
Batteries have improved massively have a look at a Gel Battery for instace the problem is we don't want to £150 for something that will last for a minimum of 5 years when a car maker can buy one for £30 and Guarantee it for a year. The Best type is the Boat technology ones which are light weight made from Kevlar matting and are gel based.