service schedule abuse - normd2
A mate just mentioned his Clio 1.2 16v is going for its first MOT this week AND first service! He's had it from new 32k miles ago and it's never been to a garage. The closest it's got to maintenance was him topping up the oil about 6 months ago, the first and only time he's checked it. Don't know whether to be impressed or horrified.
service schedule abuse - boxsterboy
Horifically, this is not uncommon.

A while back, when I was having a car MOTed, I overheard a woman say that the only time the car goes to a garage is for the MOT. And my sis-in-law did the same with her car a few years back - for 3 years as I recall. Then she traded it in saying it had FSH, and come trade-in day just said - 'Oh I can't find the book'!
service schedule abuse - Bill Payer
Then she traded it in saying it had FSH and come trade-in day just said - 'Oh I can't find the
book'!

It's one thing to be ignorant of the need for servicing, but quite another to deliberately not have it done and then lie about it.

I do tend to agree with the leave it alone mentaility though - garages can seem to create as many problems as they fix.
service schedule abuse - Chris White
Yep, I used to date a girl who had a '97 facelifted Clio. Done about 42k miles in 4 or 5 years and car had never seen a mechanic (not even had oil checked).

I was equally horrified and impressed. Horrified because she had a toddler so needed a reliable and safe car to get around and impressed because this car was obviously well built.........

Chris
service schedule abuse - hxj

Virtually all service schedules are over-engineered to avoid any liability to the manufacturers. If they had to pay for servicing the schedules would extend dramatically.

If it's not broke don't fix it should apply.

I appreciate all those on here who believe that 500mile/monthly oil changes are required as engines and oils are no longer as reliable as they used to be in the good old days will be offended by this view. :-)
service schedule abuse - P3t3r
SNIPQUOTE!
I appreciate all those on here who believe that 500mile/monthly oil changes are required .....

When I change my oil, after just 6 months (3-4000 miles), the oil goes from a black colour to clear and also notice a change in the engine noise. That's just 6 months, I'd dread to think what it would be like after 6 months. When I was doing shorter trips my spark plugs would never last their full time either, they would last around a year if I was lucky. After a year I would hear a different noise from the exhaust. 'Performance' plugs wouldn't last much longer either.

I think servicing should be done, although I must admit that I never like taking my car to a garage. It's also worth remembering that not having your car serviced may invalidate your insurance too.
service schedule abuse - bell boy
didnt realise vehicles needed servicing? ;-(
is this another new law or something? ;-)
service schedule abuse - bathtub tom
I've got a daughter who'd drive fifteen miles to me rather than open her handbook to see where to fill her windscreen washer (she's got a Bsc).
She bought the car new, and was surprised that she'd invalidated the three-year warranty because she didn't get it serviced for the first two. I'd nagged her until I gave up in frustration, but her excuse was 'nobody reminded me'.
She was stopped by plod, and when asked 'do you know you've got a flat'? She genuinely replied 'no'! I've since looked at her tyres, they all show an under-inflated wear pattern. I asked her how often she checked them - guess the answer?
I maintain she doesn't own a car, she owns a car key.
service schedule abuse - bell boy
im sure ive said before but the amount of cars that have seized bonnet catches is amazing ,what does that say for bbc watchdog eh?
(no not just reno"s)
service schedule abuse - David Horn
When I inherited my Grandad's Accord, it had only done 5000 miles in six years and never had the oil changed at all. Looked like molasses when it came out.
service schedule abuse - rtj70
When looking at car replacements with step son a few months back it made mu chuckle a bit when some cars described as having full service history. Like it had a history but checks had big gaps in terms of time and mileage - big enough to worry about. Just as worrying he didn't at first see why this was not a full service history!
service schedule abuse - GregSwain
And to think I was unsure about buying the Almera because it once did 13k between services instead of Nissan's recommended 10k! Not changing the oil for a period of years is unforgivable - it can be done at a fast-fit place for under £20. The plugs/filters are less important, but if your engine's being lubricated by treacle it will surely shorten the car's life, even if there's no apparent damage at the time.
service schedule abuse - Bill Payer
My Mercedes has done 30K in 3 years (a lot less than I expected, my job changed) and has only ever been to the garage once, for an oil change (A Service) at 18000 miles. It doesn't even use any oil between services, so it's not like it's being 'changed' that way.

I asked my local dealer what to do, and he said follow what the on-board computer says, although I've noticed they have changed to annual servicing on newer cars (probably to increase the dealers workshop use!).

I would worry about, but the car's now on a MB service repair package until it's 6 years old, so it's their problem.

Someone on a MB forum with an MB Van had his oil analysed at 20K miles and apparently it was still fine.
service schedule abuse - jc2
There was a saying in the past"when all else fails,read the instructions!!"
service schedule abuse - DP
It does irritate me that a lot of people who completely neglect their cars seem to get away with it.

My favourite example was K plate mk3 Cavalier SRI 8v that we had at a previous company. It had been the service manager's company car, and racked up 110,000 miles in its first 3 years, during which time he had really cared for it, and had it serviced on the button by the local dealership. Needing a pool car, the company negotiated a good price at the end of the lease term and kept it. From that point, it was never serviced, and thrashed mercilessly by everyone who drove it. I drove it the week before it was stolen and destroyed, it still drove brilliantly with 190,000 miles on the clock.

Even the most shonky, worthless old wrecks I've owned (and there have been many) have had regular oil and filter changes.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
service schedule abuse - normd2
well DP stand by to be further irritated... :)

MOT and full service, front brake pads, two tyres and the rear wiper blade = £430 at the main dealer - I just don't think they were trying hard enough...
service schedule abuse - madf
Oldest son bought 1997 peugeot 106 1.1 petrol with 20k miles in 2002.
He then did 12k miles with no servcie (every 6k miles schedule).

Now gets a service from me every 6-8k miles. using Comma semi synthetic/Fram filters(
No cambelt change, no TLC, but new pads/disks driveshafts/exhaust.

Now done 100k miles . Burns no oil . No work done on engine .
Drives as new. 45mpg

A tribute to modern engineering..

I would say with modern oils it will take 40k miles to ruin an engine if using semisynthetics. Normal mineral oil around 20-30k miles.

But short journeys are of course far more wearing.

madf