214 electrics - normd2
Drove 12 miles to collect #1 daughter from train station last night - no problems. Parked for 30 mins (train was late) and then the car would not start, turned over but wouldn't fire. As I was on slope I bump started it and headed for home. Two miles later heading up hill on the motorway I noticed the headlights were dim and the car started 'chugging' I turned the headlights off and power returned so kept going. Soon the 'chugging' returned so I turned all the lights off and kept going (the choice was pull over and wait on the hard shoulder for 'a very nice man' or drive 10 miles on a quiet motorway without lights) Anyway made it home without futher incident (never any police when you don't want them:)) so what's gone wrong with my electrics that's caused this? - no warning lights and belt still there. Not had a chance to look yet so any pointers/advice welcome.
214 electrics - Screwloose

Year? Engine?

It's not charging properly - does the "battery" light come on [and go out once started] as normal?

Check for belt slip - it must be really tight - and for corroded connexions.
214 electrics - normd2
1400 twin cam
the charge light was not on earlier in the day nor after the starting problem which was why it was a bit of a surprise. the belt is fairly new and properly tensioned.

If the light comes on at key-on and goes - completely - out once started, not even the faintest glow; then I'd still wonder about the belt tension - those poly-vee belts have no elasticity at all.

Recharge the battery; start up and run it with some electrical load on the alternator for two minutes; stop the engine and then get someone to touch the alternator pulley. If they burn their fingers - the belt's slipping.
214 electrics - normd2
there are three wires to the +ve battery terminal, two red and one smaller one which has melted insulation! Does anyone know if this is the one from the alternator and what could cause it to overheat?

The usual reason is corrosion causing a bad connexion and generating heat. How far does the heat damage extend from the terminal?
214 electrics - normd2
the exposed wire has no insulation left, it then goes into the loom behind the battery. I've cut away some of the loom insulation and can see this wire's insulation is melting onto adjacent wires. I recall someone else had problems in this area a few weeks ago caused by a dodgy connection at the alternator plug. Battery's on charge, the Previa's battery is just too big to put in even temporarily.

If the cable damage is more than could be accounted for by heat conduction from a bad terminal on the battery lug; then you may have a serious short somewhere.

Cable insulation damage from a heated terminal tends to taper off quite quickly; just an inch or two. Any more than that and you'll need an auto-electrician to look at it as there's a fire risk with shorts on unfused main cables.

A visual check for chafing of the engine loom would be a good idea.
214 electrics - normd2
cut my way back into the loom to find the original wires - two brown ones, one larger than the other terminated in a factory fit ferrule. Looks like Billy Bodge has been here before me and added a wire from this ferrule to the battery which is the one that's melted; the brown wires look fine. Added my own heavier duty wire in its place but still can't start the car as one of the jaws of my jump leads snapped off as I used it - never lend kit out if it all possible! Off to the shops on my way home for new leads.
214 electrics - normd2
new jump leads, started fine and new wire doesn't get hot - job done!